What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CCCRL

adamkungl

Immortal
When England made its position on Toronto/American expansion clear, I suggested going down this route.
It's a big play. There's a fair chance it will bomb, This is Rugby League after all.

But when you look at the money required to keep Toronto playing trans-atlantic, you have to think that maybe there's a better way. What does Super League actually bring to Toronto? Nobody in Toronto knows who or what Wigan or St Helens are.

7000 people showed up weekly at Lamport to watch Toronto play [insert north english mining village] at 2nd and 3rd tier level. If the fans and sponsors do even half of that for a Canadian league it would have legs. The opponents will be new in the Rugby League world but far more familiar to Canadian audiences than Rockdale or Coventry.

For a coast-to-coast competition, the biggest expense will be travel.
The next concern would be whether to invest in the competition, or spend money on player salaries.
My approach would be investment first - a very non-RL concept. Play games in nice stadiums, have strong marketing and image. Selling it is key.
Full-time salaries come when you're successfully selling it.

Like the EuroXIII idea in progress, I'm excited to see there are people out there with ambition for the sport. It's a tough road. They won't get support or investment from the NRL or SL. Many will criticise them without ever lifting a finger, and still others will criticise because they don't agree with decisions or they see their slice of the tiny pie being threatened.

yakstorm

First Grade
I feel relative to some of the plans of Euro XIII, the CCCRL is taking a far more conservative approach.

With exception of Quebec, the areas listed as having teams all have some form of Rugby League framework, and whilst it may not be much (ie. Saskatchewan has like one club) it is still a starting point, the format of the games is going to be nines, meaning the number of players that need to be accommodated / flown around is smaller and to begin with all matches will be played out of Lamport Stadium in Toronto.

Arguably to begin with, it is a bit of a rebranded Canada Nationals, not that there is anything wrong with that. From there, hopefully it grows, but if not, even if it just adds to each of the existing regional competitions, it will provide a significant boost to the game in Canada.

adamkungl

Immortal
I feel relative to some of the plans of Euro XIII, the CCCRL is taking a far more conservative approach.

With exception of Quebec, the areas listed as having teams all have some form of Rugby League framework, and whilst it may not be much (ie. Saskatchewan has like one club) it is still a starting point, the format of the games is going to be nines, meaning the number of players that need to be accommodated / flown around is smaller and to begin with all matches will be played out of Lamport Stadium in Toronto.

Arguably to begin with, it is a bit of a rebranded Canada Nationals, not that there is anything wrong with that. From there, hopefully it grows, but if not, even if it just adds to each of the existing regional competitions, it will provide a significant boost to the game in Canada.

How does the 9s format work in a league setting?
I can't imagine buying tickets, or flying a team across the country, to watch/play a single game of 9s
I was hoping the 2022 edition would be a single weekend 9s tournament and the 2023 edition would a 13s league

yakstorm

First Grade
How does the 9s format work in a league setting?
I can't imagine buying tickets, or flying a team across the country, to watch/play a single game of 9s
I was hoping the 2022 edition would be a single weekend 9s tournament and the 2023 edition would a 13s league

I'm pretty sure the 2022 event will be a weekend or week long event, not one off games (sorry if I implied that before).

Agree with your sentiment, I hope they move to 13-a-side as well after Year One as well. Even if games are played over a weekend like the recent Brazilian Premiership (although preference would always be a home & away competition)

Canada Co-Operative Championship Rugby League (CCCRL).

should be the (sponsored by) Canadian Club Canada Championship Rugby League

CCCCRL or the Canadian Club Cup for short

adamkungl

Immortal
Owner Chris Coates has confirmed that the format will be a 9s circuit.
2 divisions of 3 city teams, x2 for women.

We can take a fair guess (unconfirmed) that they might be:
West: Vancouver, Calgary, Regina(?)
East: Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal

A divisional round will be held in each of the 3 cities with in tri-series 9s format.
Championship/finals would presumably take similar format with the top teams from each division.

Until numbers are growing and sustainable, 13-a-side games will be reserved for representative games.

yakstorm

First Grade
Thanks for the summary.

I'm a little bit torn what to think, when it looked like Year One was going to be twelve teams at one venue with each playing 5 - 7 games, I could easily see how that could be marketed for crowds and broadcast.

The divisional round concept definitely means more games for everyone, which is a plus, and means everyone gets a chance to play in front of a home crowd and grow support, which is also another tick, but I'm just not sure how compelling it will be as an offering...

Anyway, here's hoping it happens and each event is a success. I'm not sure if the CCCRL has approached someone like Perez to help, but based upon his success getting crowds for the Wolverines and Wolfpack, it would be worthwhile.

adamkungl

Immortal
Thanks for the summary.

I'm a little bit torn what to think, when it looked like Year One was going to be twelve teams at one venue with each playing 5 - 7 games, I could easily see how that could be marketed for crowds and broadcast.

The divisional round concept definitely means more games for everyone, which is a plus, and means everyone gets a chance to play in front of a home crowd and grow support, which is also another tick, but I'm just not sure how compelling it will be as an offering...

Anyway, here's hoping it happens and each event is a success. I'm not sure if the CCCRL has approached someone like Perez to help, but based upon his success getting crowds for the Wolverines and Wolfpack, it would be worthwhile.

I'm also torn. My first impression was a hard no.
But on reflection, this sport has too much "my way or no way" attitude. People willing to put their money where their mouth is should be applauded.

I can potentially see something like this growing into a seasonal 9s national circuit, when more cities are added - potentially even taking in USA divisions.
You could use it as a stepping stone to build 13s alongside it, rather than replacing it. 9s in September-October, 13s March to June?

yakstorm

First Grade
Agree with everything you've said, reality is the most important thing here is there being some form of league being played in Canada.

The opportunity for this to also grow quickly using something like Nines was something I hadn't really thought about either. Arguably it would take far less effort for their to be representation from all 13 states / provinces in Canada with the nines approach than if it was 13-a-side.

It's also easy enough to slowly add thirteen-a-side teams to an established club (even if it is just a nines club) than no club.

adamkungl

Immortal
Also, for the sport to get government recognition, i've heard they need to have clubs in 5 provinces, which they currently don't reach