What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Joseph Suaalii is being set up to fail

big hit!

Bench
I'm a roosters fan and I am even sick of hearing about this kid.

This is an all time media beat up. He won't make the team for round 1.

1-5 if fully fit is Teddy, B-Moz, Manu, J-Moz and Tupou. He isn't getting in front of them for round 1 and then there is Smith (once fit) and Ikuvalu after that.

Even if given the exemption he would probably only play a game or 2 around origin if required.

I've seen him play with my own eyes. He consistently toyed with guys his own age in Harold Matts as a 15yo. He would've been in SG Ball last season at Souths, but for some reason he didn't play. With the age increase for Pathways, he would be in SG Ball this year and in 2022 if he was an ordinary junior rep level player.

Fact is: two very well peforming NRL clubs (one has won 2x premierships, the other has made 3x prelim finals) had/have him earmarked to play in their starting 13 this season. I think that gives you an insight in where they would slot him in the pecking order at both clubs, who already have gun backlines I might add.

Perhaps not Rd 1 as the kid hasn't played for a whole season which showed in the Cup trial. But he most likely would work his way into that Roosters backline. If he's got the ability and is better than any of the guys you named which appears to be the case given the jizzing by both Souths (then), and Roosters (now), then that's it.

Last edited:

The_Frog

First Grade
I have a memory of Freddy complaining that the club had signed en masse with SL behind his back while he was away or something like that. He was kept in the dark about the move?
The only thing I can find in the Men in Black book on this is that the club joining SL had to be done in a "hush hush" manner, due to the legal ramifications. I suppose this means they didn't tell the players what they were going to do, they just did it.

Last edited:

davi

Juniors
Whilst we can debate the if 'You're old enough, if you're good enough" mentality with merit for both sides of the argument, my understanding was that the rule was brought in as a duty of care to the younger, underdeveloped player.

Wade Graham is a prime example of how an early entry into the NRL can have long term effects on the body. In a recent article he states the impacts it had on him, bearing in mind he started in the halves.

This is it in a nutshell why the exemption is a dumb idea and sets a precedent. Ben Ikin and Josh Hannay suffered terrible injuries during their careers. There was a view because they played first grade football too young and there body's hadn't completely developed which was the cause from it.

This is it in a nutshell why the exemption is a dumb idea and sets a precedent. Ben Ikin and Josh Hannay suffered terrible injuries during their careers. There was a view because they played first grade football too young and there body's hadn't completely developed which was the cause from it.

Benji debuted at 17 and needed about 4 shoulder recos by the time he was 21. The fact he’s still playing in 2021 is a miracle. Ironically I think a knee injury in round 1, 2008 helped him as it gave home a few months on the sidelines to rest his shoulders. After that his injury record is actually very good.

big hit!

Bench
Benji debuted at 17 and needed about 4 shoulder recos by the time he was 21. The fact he’s still playing in 2021 is a miracle. Ironically I think a knee injury in round 1, 2008 helped him as it gave home a few months on the sidelines to rest his shoulders. After that his injury record is actually very good.

Played rugby in 2014 too so that's as good as a holiday as well

Watching him now N/SYD v Blacktown. NSW cup Just scored, did not need to do that much ,catch, waltz over, try. It's 1/2 time

i just turned the game on, thought “ok then let’s see what all the fuss is about...”..

2 mins later he climbed a ladder to take a bomb near the line and score...

Seems handy..

typicalfan

Coach
Who does he play in front of in the Roosters backline anyway. He isn't cracking that back five right now. Maybe as a back up.

skeepe

Immortal
There’s no doubt he’s a talent but all this talk of making an exemption so he can play early and so on makes our comp look really small time.

I can’t think of a single professional league anywhere that would bend eligibility rules for one player, no matter how good.

Even the discussion of it is a bad look for the comp. if they actually go through with it it will be a black eye for the NRL and heap even more unnecessary pressure on the kid to be an Immortal from game one.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If they let him play they will have to change the rule or every other kid will be screaming restraint of trade. Main reason why I dont think they’ll let him play till he’s old enough. You can’t tell one kid he can play and the rest they can’t just because he’s a bit better.

I’m surprised at abdos silence, I’d have thought vlandys would have told his puppet to shut down the chatter by now.

If they let him play they will have to change the rule or every other kid will be screaming restraint of trade. Main reason why I dont think they’ll let him play till he’s old enough. You can’t tell one kid he can play and the rest they can’t just because he’s a bit better.

I’m surprised at abdos silence, I’d have thought vlandys would have told his puppet to shut down the chatter by now.

I agree.

But who is it really that’s urging the nrl to relax the rule?

The Roosters have shown recently with Keary, Cordner that they have put player welfare at the highest level. And it’s not as if they are struggling for on-field success or lack talent. I can’t see them rushing him in before his time.

So who else?

The player himself? I don’t know.

But surely this call is an emanation from the media brains trust to throw out into their shows and platforms to create a story...

The guy has got a long career ahead of him. I don’t see the benefit to anyone of throwing him in early.

Except it’d make a great media Storm ...

Zadar

Juniors
I agree.

The Roosters have shown recently with Keary, Cordner that they have put player welfare at the highest level. And it’s not as if they are struggling for on-field success or lack talent. I can’t see them rushing him in before his time.

So who else?

But surely this call is an emanation from the media brains trust to throw out into their shows and platforms to create a story...

The guy has got a long career ahead of him. I don’t see the benefit to anyone of throwing him in early.

Except it’d make a great media Storm ...

Has this all stemmed from the pressure of keeping him in rugby league, where AU were willing to let him play before 18?

wonder if there was some form of agreement when south’s first brought it up.

Zadar

Juniors
I agree.

So who else?

Except it’d make a great media Storm ...[/QUOT

Latest posts