What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 Panthers Vs Cowboys - Panthers Stadium

betcats

Referee
I haven't watched it again only from live at the ground. So likely missed some

Watching it now, capewell fumbled a pass a few metres out he was going over if he didn’t. A couple passes stick and mom and to’o ground the ones they dropped and we would have scored 50.

Api was quiet, not bad but he didn’t run much. May slotted in at hooker pretty well. One thing I noticed was Crichton had two good kicks and Staines had one good one and one that didn’t sit up but was decent, nice to have those skills in the outside backs on both sides.

panthersam

Juniors
Watching it now, capewell fumbled a pass a few metres out he was going over if he didn’t. A couple passes stick and mom and to’o ground the ones they dropped and we would have scored 50.

Api was quiet, not bad but he didn’t run much. May slotted in at hooker pretty well. One thing I noticed was Crichton had two good kicks and Staines had one good one and one that didn’t sit up but was decent, nice to have those skills in the outside backs on both sides.

Id heard that Crichton had an underrated left boot so it was good to see, you can tell he has skills in that department more so than just a normal centre putting through a kick every now and then.

WestyLife

First Grade
One of the few people in this thread who is not deluded. Yeah we won comfortably - against a pathetic rabble that were not 1st Grade standard. If we were playing to the standard of late last season we'd have put 60 on them. Clearly we are rusty as hell and have regressed in the offseason. Storm and Roosters however look like professional outfits from game 1.

Say all you want and bag me all you want - if you were 'team blind' and watched all three play without know a thing about them - which team is the one you'd leave out? Coincidentally both of those teams are long term successful teams and we are perennial losers - and it is little wonder with the loser think and lack of standards displayed by the vast majority of the fans.

The Roosters played a worse team than we did haha. They also still made mistakes but got away with it. Nearly every game was hard to watch this week for errors and round 1 is always clunky as hell.

franklin2323

Immortal

Crichton used to play AFL. Getting him to kick and pass more is all that is stopping him from being elite

Kikau too was in a gap and step back in. A few half misses too. Plenty of weapons

Panfa

Juniors
What's the go with Staines kicking the ball nearly every time he got it he looked a bit brittle needs to hit the weights a bit.

franklin2323

Immortal
What's the go with Staines kicking the ball nearly every time he got it he looked a bit brittle needs to hit the weights a bit.

I said something similar last night. He looked even worse off the ball at the ground. After Yeo's try looked to be struggling to get onside. Was just 1st game of the year though

Jane Murray

Bench
The Roosters played a worse team than we did haha. They also still made mistakes but got away with it. Nearly every game was hard to watch this week for errors and round 1 is always clunky as hell.
The Realist is so negative. He is right in a way, however, the Cowboys played badly due to the fact that they were outplayed, by a better side. I am looking forward to the game against the storm.

BxTom

Bench
Well clearly I am seeing things differently to everyone else.

The Cowboys were Diabolically bad. They were so pathetic there were reserve grade teams that would have beaten them today. Kyle Feldt by himself was a one man horror show.

Our efforts against them were poor. I could never imagine being this unsatisfied with a 24-0 Victory but here we are.

The other 'good' teams in this comp would have put 50-60 on that complete rabble - those teams being Storm, Roosters, Rabbitohs, Raiders perhaps even the Eel's. Our attack was awful and clunky.

The plan seemed to be give it to Laui and the Mt Druitt mob on the left even if they had ZERO space to work with and it was bad. It seemed as though they thought they could score off every play. WRONG. You have to create space on the outside by having your forwards creating momentum and drawing some of the defence toward them! The amount of times I saw them receive the ball flat footed 15 metres from the sideline and think they could go around them was crazy. Even the diabolical Cowboys could defend that most of the time and they did. Seemingly the hype has gotten to their heads. Enough of the 'Hero ball' - I hope that IC cuts that crap out - thankfully they seem to realise it toward the middle of the 2nd half and cut back on that a little.

The handling errors from our team were awful. We have to cut that shit out quick smart if we want to contend for a top 2 spot.

Our Defence was seemingly excellent - but it is hard to judge. The Cowboys offered close to nothing and their mounting error rate fatigued them. So it could have been a case of we 'forced' them into constant error - or they were just hopeless. IMO it was a bit of both.

Based on this game I could say two things - we would have lost to the other Top 6 teams on today's form (maybe not the Eel's) - and the Cowboys would have to be clear favourites for the spoon.
You're posting in the wrong section - this isn't the Fantasy Football thread...

Last edited:

WestyLife

First Grade

I said something similar last night. He looked even worse off the ball at the ground. After Yeo's try looked to be struggling to get onside. Was just 1st game of the year though

He kicked it because there was no space. The point is to get the ball past the player marking him and use his speed to get to the ball first not because he's brittle haha.

mxlegend99

Referee
He kicked it because there was no space. The point is to get the ball past the player marking him and use his speed to get to the ball first not because he's brittle haha.
Yep. He got horrible ball all game and did his best with it. Not sure what else he could do in those opportunities.

His pace isn't going to help much if he has no space to use it. But that entire edge is brand new so it will improve with time together

betcats

Referee
Yep. He got horrible ball all game and did his best with it. Not sure what else he could do in those opportunities.

His pace isn't going to help much if he has no space to use it. But that entire edge is brand new so it will improve with time together

Yeah the combo was a bit clunky and he was well marked they had one of if not the fastest guy in the comp on that side. He had a couple of half chances there where the Hammer cleaned them up, most centres aren't going to have that speed to be able to come across in cover on Staines but we also will get better at creating space for him.

I didnt see staines limping but plenty of guys do get up limping throughout a footy game. Edwards was down and getting treatment for an ankle or leg injury. Capewell was down at one point as were a few others across both sides.

Last edited:

Jane Murray

Bench
Nice, and accurate, article.

Attachments

• 160036766_2942313569320823_7153315114149433667_o.jpg
    160036766_2942313569320823_7153315114149433667_o.jpg
    453.5 KB · Views: 38

CCJohnC

Juniors
I must admit I was nervous before the Cowboy's game. I thought they may surprise with new coach etc. Good win in the end, Crichton's kicking did not surprise as I thought I heard he may be back up to Cleary.

Panfa

Juniors
I can understand trying it once but not every time you have the ball it's like he was scared to get tackled or panicked.

WestyLife

First Grade
I can understand trying it once but not every time you have the ball it's like he was scared to get tackled or panicked.
He played the ball 7 times and kicked twice. That's not including when he was forced over the sideline as well.

betcats

Referee
I can’t get over how good Yeo looks now, every run he takes he has got the ball out in two hands looking to pass, even when he runs the cowboys defence was standing off him waiting to see if he was going to pass. Mick Ennis raved about him on big league wrap yesterday and for good reason, there is not a better ball playing forward in the comp. After the halves I think he’s our most important player above even Api.

WestyLife

First Grade
I can’t get over how good Yeo looks now, every run he takes he has got the ball out in two hands looking to pass, even when he runs the cowboys defence was standing off him waiting to see if he was going to pass. Mick Ennis raved about him on big league wrap yesterday and for good reason, there is not a better ball playing forward in the comp. After the halves I think he’s our most important player above even Api.
Yeah he makes the opposition middle soft because he can genuinely ball play now so they have to stop and wait to see if they need to slide or not.

Latest posts