What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 v Sharks

RedVDave

First Grade
Vaughan (208) was the only forward that ran more than 100m last night our next closest was Tyrell Fuiamano with 89 this is a big worry. Like I said still some positives to take out of that game but also some worrying signs only round 1 though and premierships are not decided in March (just as Paul McGregor) so plenty of time to get better.

denis preston

First Grade
All comments valid. I came away with a feeling that the side was connected & committed but the silly errors & bad plays were still there. In saying that i got a feeling there is change that will only become more obvious in the next 5 or 6 games. Dont think Clune is up to it and unless we can jag a signing in the next couple of weeks the return of Debellin could be the difference in 4 places on the table.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
How good was Rava’s head on tackle in the first half. To think that’s how our best three quarters used to tackle every week. Not enough of those in this grab and hug defensive style that is so evident in the NRL today. A few more of those and they’d think twice of running that way.

BBTB

Juniors
How good was Rava head on tackle in the first half. To think that’s how our best three quarters used to tackle every week. Not enough of those in this grab and hug defensive style that is so evident in the NRL today. A few more of those and they’d think twice of running that way.
Now if only, Dufty could catch a bomb, and the BUNKER, could get a call right.

jeffdragon

Bench
Vaughan (208) was the only forward that ran more than 100m last night our next closest was Tyrell Fuiamano with 89 this is a big worry. Like I said still some positives to take out of that game but also some worrying signs only round 1 though and premierships are not decided in March (just as Paul McGregor) so plenty of time to get better.
But the errors we made , we make constantly.

hewi

Bench
How good was Rava’s head on tackle in the first half. To think that’s how our best three quarters used to tackle every week. Not enough of those in this grab and hug defensive style that is so evident in the NRL today. A few more of those and they’d think twice of running that way.

He hits like a runaway freight train, so why don’t we send him into the middle occasionally to belt some opposition forwards.

kit66

Bench
Well, watching the game wasn't half as bad as listening to it, the ABC call was a no holds barred Dragons roast. Not undeserved at times but watching the replay wasn't nearly as bad as I expected, I saw some things to be happy about.

Our defence for 60 minutes ( apart from the 2 tries early ) was a huge improvement on the Charity Shield effort. Our errors were unforgivable especially from Dufty at the back gifting Cronulla the game. In the last 20 minutes our errors, fatigue and some bad calls did us in.

Vaughan, Hunt, Fui, Alvaro and Lawrie played really well. Fui's line speed, good hits and scrambling defence were good enough, I think, to consider him for the 11 jersey - he also made some great runs and was looking to off load. Kerr is trying but he's wasted out wide when he could be making metres up the middle with Vaughan and put Lawrie at lock.
Poasa was useless - ok defence but no impact at all, none.

McCullough gets credit for his 80 minutes and 64 tackles but his service is too slow. Hopefully it was the weather and first game with a new team but he needs to decide where he's going to pass the ball before he picks it up, not pick it up and hesitate. Fast, crisp ball.

Backs - nullified by the wet weather and a reluctance by the inside men to risk long passes. Hopefully we can work on that, they need early ball. Bird played well but his tackling style is poor, all grabbing high and no shoulder, he missed 7 tackles, good signs otherwise.

Our kicking game is nowhere near where it should be. Norman back next week should help us there and his defence and ability to link with the backs is much better than Clunes'.

Overall some good signs. Cut out the errors and play for the full 80 and we'll have more success. Oh and f*ck the Bunker.

Last edited:

Saint Pedro

Juniors
Something about the players were likeable. Scumulla were dirty in the tackles but we gave it back. McCullough hassled play the ball, lawrie got in the scrap, sims was back to being a bully, Fui hit those blokes with venom. Most importantly was griffins defence is coming. Three blokes, turn them on their back, slow it right down, a great defending team can win a comp. 2010

st.phil

Bench
some good signs I thought - too many errors yet again cost them the game.

I thought Macca's service was good and he has some subtlety to his game - combo with Hunt has legs. He's no Damien cook but ya get what you pay for.

Fui is an edge and Kerr ain't - pretty clear. Tariq looks done but was always going to struggle on a wet track. How and why we did not recruit backrowers is beyond me.

Duff has errors in him but is needed in attack - his energy seems better and Cody ain't ready so lets give him a chance. The front row are not all stars but gave it plenty, showed some heart.

Clune is a backup only, never thought I'd say this but we'll improve w Corey back in the team. Good to see Bird get through - bit grabby in D but has a vibe the team is dearly lacking. Let him get his sea legs at centre but I think he'll be needed on an edge.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
On reading this thread it is pretty clear plenty of posters already have an opinion of the team and some of the players then look at the game for evidence to prove their view. So before I record anything I will admit to my bias. I have been fanatical about the Dragons for close to 60 years and basically don't give a toss about the NRL. In going to yesterday's game I had no concerns over where we might finish on the table this season. What I was looking for was some signs of improvement from the lost years under the Coaching Imposter.

So what did I get for my $32? A ticketed seat, only the numbered seat didn't exist! Can you believe I paid Ticketek $7 for their services? A really cold, wet experience. But on the positive side, queuing up at entry I got to met Mr Feagai, obviously a very proud but humble Samoan. He surprised me by telling me the twins are relatively new to League having grown up as Union players. Later I got to see the boys close up as once I was issued with a real seat I was close to where Mum and Dad Feagai were sitting. Appeared like a wholesome, close-knit family.

I don't won't to bore prospective readers with repetition of what others have written. I thought Cronulla's win was largely based on a superior kicking game, both in terms of swirling bombs and short kicks, some luck in the in-goal and a greater share of possession. Had Poasa been able to ground the grubber between the posts it may have been a different game. Similarly Ramsey's "try". Bird also got a ball over the line.

I am glad to see no one has resorted to labelling Lawrie a "plodder" after yesterday's game. From the start he was sprinting from marker to dive at the feet of the ball carrier. Then in the second half he made some tough runs crashing into his opponents. And of course he rushed into support Dufty after the high shot. Fittler said last year that through the junior rep ranks Blake was always a standout. Now under a new coaching regime maybe it's his time to show us what he can do. I would say about his development that while it may have been slowed under Mary I don't think his progress was undermined by the narcissist to the extent of Sele, Luciano and Host.

Plenty have commented favourably on Paul Vaughan. I thought that it was a positive that he was interviewed last week for the website. I think the first time since he re-signed. Maybe he senses greater responsibility. But I am surprised that no one made the link between Vaughan's lift in performance with spending more time on the bench before half time. Mary used to flog him every week. Leaving out consideration of Williame I thought Griffin's bench management was far better than what we have been used to. Not sure whether Poasa's time may have been limited by a head knock.

Lawrie and Vaughan led the way in what a number have seen as a decent forward effort especially after half time. Maybe some commonsense was talked at the break. But given our deficit in possession it was no surprise to see the Sharks' forwards being credited with more running metres. However what the stats show is just how many more metres they got out of their edge forwards. Sims and Kerr were only in the 40s and 50s. Something that I am sure will be worked on.

The last point is the most crucial - things will be worked on! I missed Mary at the Press Conference for the laughs he used to regularly provide. On the other hand Griffin's Press Conference was so sensible, balanced, calm and down to earth by comparison, "it's a marathon not a sprint". He explained Dufty's distress in the dressing room and said he is working hard on catching bombs.

Finally on Dufty: the Dufty haters have had a field day. For me, I am feeling uncomfortable being on Muzby's side in the great Dufty debate. From memory Dufty dropped two bombs. I thought both went backward. Strange how in one game whether the ball was judged to be a knock on or back depended on which team touched it. As the coach says Dufty must and is working on catching the high ball. But I am amazed at blaming the first half tries on him. He seemed to have the measure of the first ball before Hunt raced through. Additionally how he could be expected to anticipate the little dribble from Kennedy I do not know. That was certainly Tariq's ball.

possm

Coach
We need to drop Merrin, Ellis and Alvaro form our top 30 and replace them with 3 good Vaughan type props from anywhere in the world of rugby league. Faamausili will need to lift his game to win a bench spot in the 17.

For now both Lawrie and Kerr need to be in the prop rotation. It is clear to me we need both up front until we can secure better props.

Sims needs to begin to improve a lot or he will find himself dropped to reserve grade. Don't know who would replace him and that is probably why he does not feel any pressure to perform. Surely there is a right edge forward out there just waiting for his chance to play first grade. We need a replacement for Frizell urgently. I just don't know why, with all the notice given by Frizell, we did nothing to replace him.

For me Fuimaono can stay at lock. If De Belin becomes available, it will be up to Griffin to decide what from there. I suppose if Fuimaono is doing well there, then De Belin might move to the right edge or to prop for 2021.

I don't believe we are settled when it comes to the halves. I am confident that Clune will not get the 6 jumper in round 2. Norman will probably be at 6 until Sullivan is back from injury.

Bird and Lomax are the obvious centres, only we need them both to be standing a little deeper in attack with early ball from our halves. Lomax needs to resist the urge to run to the outside sholder of his opposing centre and rather move to the inside sholder giving Ravalawa plenty of room running to the line. Despite being together for the first time in a first grade game, Bird and Ramsey seem to combine very well. Bird is not yet fit to move to five-eighth or the right edge.

Then there is Dufty. Brilliant in the try he scored but a disaster at the back in his ability to take the high ball, his positional play and his defence. Maybe Ramsey is not yet ready to take his place but he did show some good signs in his hard running and in his defence while during the time Dufty was off the field.

We will do a little better if/when De Belin joins the squad again.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
For me, I am feeling uncomfortable being on Muzby's side in the great Dufty debate.
giphy.gif

You should never feel uncomfortable being correct..

Lovemedragons

Juniors
On reading this thread it is pretty clear plenty of posters already have an opinion of the team and some of the players then look at the game for evidence to prove their view. So before I record anything I will admit to my bias. I have been fanatical about the Dragons for close to 60 years and basically don't give a toss about the NRL. In going to yesterday's game I had no concerns over where we might finish on the table this season. What I was looking for was some signs of improvement from the lost years under the Coaching Imposter.

So what did I get for my $32? A ticketed seat, only the numbered seat didn't exist! Can you believe I paid Ticketek $7 for their services? A really cold, wet experience. But on the positive side, queuing up at entry I got to met Mr Feagai, obviously a very proud but humble Samoan. He surprised me by telling me the twins are relatively new to League having grown up as Union players. Later I got to see the boys close up as once I was issued with a real seat I was close to where Mum and Dad Feagai were sitting. Appeared like a wholesome, close-knit family.

I don't won't to bore prospective readers with repetition of what others have written. I thought Cronulla's win was largely based on a superior kicking game, both in terms of swirling bombs and short kicks, some luck in the in-goal and a greater share of possession. Had Poasa been able to ground the grubber between the posts it may have been a different game. Similarly Ramsey's "try". Bird also got a ball over the line.

I am glad to see no one has resorted to labelling Lawrie a "plodder" after yesterday's game. From the start he was sprinting from marker to dive at the feet of the ball carrier. Then in the second half he made some tough runs crashing into his opponents. And of course he rushed into support Dufty after the high shot. Fittler said last year that through the junior rep ranks Blake was always a standout. Now under a new coaching regime maybe it's his time to show us what he can do. I would say about his development that while it may have been slowed under Mary I don't think his progress was undermined by the narcissist to the extent of Sele, Luciano and Host.

Plenty have commented favourably on Paul Vaughan. I thought that it was a positive that he was interviewed last week for the website. I think the first time since he re-signed. Maybe he senses greater responsibility. But I am surprised that no one made the link between Vaughan's lift in performance with spending more time on the bench before half time. Mary used to flog him every week. Leaving out consideration of Williame I thought Griffin's bench management was far better than what we have been used to. Not sure whether Poasa's time may have been limited by a head knock.

Lawrie and Vaughan led the way in what a number have seen as a decent forward effort especially after half time. Maybe some commonsense was talked at the break. But given our deficit in possession it was no surprise to see the Sharks' forwards being credited with more running metres. However what the stats show is just how many more metres they got out of their edge forwards. Sims and Kerr were only in the 40s and 50s. Something that I am sure will be worked on.

The last point is the most crucial - things will be worked on! I missed Mary at the Press Conference for the laughs he used to regularly provide. On the other hand Griffin's Press Conference was so sensible, balanced, calm and down to earth by comparison, "it's a marathon not a sprint". He explained Dufty's distress in the dressing room and said he is working hard on catching bombs.

Finally on Dufty: the Dufty haters have had a field day. For me, I am feeling uncomfortable being on Muzby's side in the great Dufty debate. From memory Dufty dropped two bombs. I thought both went backward. Strange how in one game whether the ball was judged to be a knock on or back depended on which team touched it. As the coach says Dufty must and is working on catching the high ball. But I am amazed at blaming the first half tries on him. He seemed to have the measure of the first ball before Hunt raced through. Additionally how he could be expected to anticipate the little dribble from Kennedy I do not know. That was certainly Tariq's ball.
Great insights here,
Is there a chance that Dufty is actually a half (6 or 7 but Id go with 6) and not a fullback? He has too much ability and speed to be dumped completely but I am certainly not convinced he will ever make a great fullback. He is terrible under the high ball lets face it and this is increasingly becoming an issue for us. However given he easily leads the try assists stats and some of his passes over the past 2 years have been as good as what Ben or Norman have ever done, maybe just maybe the answer is 6 and this move provides Cody with his true position of fullback.and takes Norman off the park, Just a thought.

possm

Coach
Great insights here,
Is there a chance that Dufty is actually a half (6 or 7 but Id go with 6) and not a fullback? He has too much ability and speed to be dumped completely but I am certainly not convinced he will ever make a great fullback. He is terrible under the high ball lets face it and this is increasingly becoming an issue for us. However given he easily leads the try assists stats and some of his passes over the past 2 years have been as good as what Ben or Norman have ever done, maybe just maybe the answer is 6 and this move provides Cody with his true position of fullback.and takes Norman off the park, Just a thought.
Dufty played 6 during his junior development days and was moved to fullback by Ben Hornby when Hornby and D Young were coaching the under 20s.

Like many juniors at that time, defence seem to be Dufty's main problem along with the fact that he needed room to weave his magic. So thus the move to fullback.

I would try Dufty at 6 in reseve grade first.to see how he goes. The other problem is that we have plenty of depth in the halves and would be likely to lose a good young 6 if Dufty became Normans replacement in 2022.

Dufty has had a few seasons now to address these issues and each year we hear the same story, he just needs more time. Maybe there is a halfway point where, when in defence, we swap Dufty for Ramsey and see how that goes.

LINESPEED

Juniors
Great insights here,

Yeah mate agree.

Personally I’d have the following
combo by Anzac Day

Duff to 6 (no pressure re high balls)
Sullivan 7
Hunt 9
Bird 12
Feagai 3
AM13
Cody 1

Plenty of nous & go forward there.

If Cam can play lock, so can Andrew IMO