What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It is tough being a dragons supporter

Coffs dragon

Bench
The past 8 years from 2012-2020 have been the worst period in my time as a Saints/Dragons fan since 1970. The fact we have had 2 consecutive Captains depart the club says it all.
It was once such an honour to lead this once proud & mighty club. It will take a monumental effort from the coaching team & management to restore us as a force once again.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
The past 8 years from 2012-2020 have been the worst period in my time as a Saints/Dragons fan since 1970. The fact we have had 2 consecutive Captains depart the club says it all.
It was once such an honour to lead this once proud & mighty club. It will take a monumental effort from the coaching team & management to restore us as a force once again.
Losing BMoz is something I will never get over, Widdop, Friz, and McInnes hurt as well. Lets hope the bleed has stopped now.

Dragon David

First Grade

Club loyalties died when the big bucks started to be put into players bank accounts and for several, a new car or boat or even an apartment. Most of the big name players nowadays have become big headed and egotistical to say the least. They see themselves as the entertainers and the media and telecasting of them gives them that air of importance.

A player likes to be able to say - hey I'm getting plenty of money and playing for this great club rather than saying - hey I'm getting some money and playing for this club - a big difference.

Our Club, which as we know is a joint venture, something that at the start appeared to be powerful enough when we made the grand final in 1999. It should have been an ongoing great thing for us and being in the top 8 in every year since then. Unfortunately, we did not have the administration and backing like the Storm and Roosters have today to plan and manage in a business like manner our club and the betterment of the future of the club for the years ahead.

So nowadays it is tough being a Dragons supporter, knowing that we had all the glory before the disappointing and demoralising years from 2012 to 2020 and with the unknown position of the club from 2021 onwards.

Datramp

Juniors
Losing BMoz is something I will never get over, Widdop, Friz, and McInnes hurt as well. Lets hope the bleed has stopped now.

The appalling treatment of BMoz and Soward in particular are the ones that hurt as a supporter. The club has an inability to obtain and retain quality players.

It is not an unlikely scenario that we have 0 rep players in state of origin this year (maybe Hunt/Vaughn/Lomax, though I think Vaughn and Lomax get overlooked and Grant takes Hunt's place), when historically we have had many.
The fact all our rep players have left or been deskilled to the point they are not at the top of their game speaks volumes.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
The appalling treatment of BMoz and Soward in particular are the ones that hurt as a supporter. The club has an inability to obtain and retain quality players.

It is not an unlikely scenario that we have 0 rep players in state of origin this year (maybe Hunt/Vaughn/Lomax, though I think Vaughn and Lomax get overlooked and Grant takes Hunt's place), when historically we have had many.
The fact all our rep players have left or been deskilled to the point they are not at the top of their game speaks volumes.
I can't see us having any players in the rep sides besides maybe Lomax if he fixes his handling issues and there is an injury or two. Vaughan could also if there were some injuries but NSW just have a lot of depth at the moment besides Hooker position.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors

I am with you here, Forbes, but the worst one for me was Lance Thomson. If Mary could claim he bled red and white how could you describe Lance? Plenty of others players leaving have been significantly detrimental - going back as far to guys like Chris Johns and Michael O'Connor but they were not the heart and soul of the club like Lance. R.I.P.

But to end on a positive note: It is early days yet but I can smell a change in the air. Hearing blokes like Bird and Merrin talking of pride in the Red V, some spirit being shown when down against the Sharks. However it will be another tough season if Dragons' supporters set unrealistic goals such as the Top 4 or making comparisons to the top teams. Too much damage has been done since the Bennett era. Instead the number one goal should be to look for improvement week to week especially in terms of spirited defence, better handling and tactical kicking. This will lay the foundations for lifting ourselves from the shambolic period 2012-2020 as we move further into the 2020s.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
It’s not tough being a dragons supporter at all..

Imagine being a broncos supporter & having to look at yourself in the mirror everyday..

Or a Cowboys supporter who knows 2015 will be the only premiership in your lifetime..

Premiership? What’s that? Asks a warriors supporter..

You could be the Titans supporter.

You could always be a knights supporter and have more spoons than trophies.

Of course nobody chooses to be a Manly supporter. You’re just told you have to follow the family tradition or not be allowed to stay in daddies palm beach hideaway.

Thank your lucky stars you aren’t a toothless stupid souffs supporter..

*switch to Matt Nable voice* And what about Melbourne fans? Getting no media coverage and having all the AFL fans think that the Storm play Union?

*back to regular voice*

You could be a Canberra supporter, nearly 30 years in the wilderness and having to watch your team sometimes play in the f**king snow

Or what about Sharts supporters? No home ground and your only title comes with an asterisk so big it looks like it’s on steroids

Bulldogs supporters can get in the sea

Parramatta supporters have to contend with the comp’s longest premiership drought, all whilst knowing it’s at least another 15 years in the desert

Panthers supporters snort concentrated Woodstock bourbon before games

Being a roosters supporter comes with a version of imposter syndrome guilt

You could be a tigers supporter and not have been to a single finals game in the past 9 years (even McGregor managed to get us to 3 games)

So yeah, it’s not all that bad being a dragons supporter

2010Dragons

Bench
Oh how the mighty have fallen.
My beloved Dragons.
I’ve been on this rollercoaster since 1970. ....I’ve seen it all.
I changed my avatar name to 2010Dragons as a tribute to the boys. since then Ive waited every year to change it again.
Im going grab 2025Dragons. We are on the rollercoaster screaming down until 2025.
We need de-merge and get back to the glory days where others teams feared us and other supporters hated us. Now everyone is LAUGHING at us.
it hurts really bad.....

goldiesaintz

Juniors
Oh how the mighty have fallen.
My beloved Dragons.
I’ve been on this rollercoaster since 1970. ....I’ve seen it all.
I changed my avatar name to 2010Dragons as a tribute to the boys. since then Ive waited every year to change it again.
Im going grab 2025Dragons. We are on the rollercoaster screaming down until 2025.
We need de-merge and get back to the glory days where others teams feared us and other supporters hated us. Now everyone is LAUGHING at us.
it hurts really bad.....

l hear your pain 2010D, however, as far as de-joint venturing, we’re probably best staying as we are.

If we were to go it alone again, the Narks or someone else may try to swallow us up. I wouldn’t put anything pass the NRL.

Safety in numbers.

Old Timer

Coach

Even in the glory days great players and club men were cast aside Ryan & Wilson and young guns let go James, Greaves so it is actually not a new phenomenon.
Len Kelly once told me that in the 60's they called Puff in for a chat and told him that if he didnt quickly regain form and start scoring some tries he would be looking for a new club.
So even the best of the best have had hard love dished out even when you are well and truly on top.