What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 Vs Bulldogs [THE MATT BURTON CUP]- Bankwest Stadium 3pm Sat

WestyLife

First Grade
I dont think either Staines or momo are at the point where they demand selection and they certainly haven't played enough fg with us to say "they are the best option". Saying that is ridiculous.

Tbh I think atm r Jennings is a much better option but they are going to persist with Staines atm because no doubt he is the future and a work in progress.

R Jennings is a much more rounded player at this stage of his career. Strong ball carrier, good finisher and good speed. I can understand why they are and will persist with Staines tho.

Anyone who thinks Staines is our best option after 2 games against two of the bottom sides from last year.... well, he has a lot to prove.

Naden would be making a case for selection if he wasn't suspended.

murraymob

Coach
All up real pleased with the effort
The weather was terrible water pooling on the ground.The dogs where never in the game
We got no major injuries out of the game onwards to the storm .We can beat them down there it is a major boost to our title chances

Luke Bowden

First Grade
All up real pleased with the effort
The weather was terrible water pooling on the ground.The dogs where never in the game
We got no major injuries out of the game onwards to the storm .We can beat them down there it is a major boost to our title chances

We are playing them here mate. Home Game

The_Frog

First Grade
Naden in for Staines.
Modern day wingers need to atleast make close to 100mtrs in hit ups.
You've got to take the weather into consideration, although I know he didn't see much ball last week either.

Naden still suspended both by the NSWRL and by the coach.

CCJohnC

Juniors
I dont think either Staines or momo are at the point where they demand selection and they certainly haven't played enough fg with us to say "they are the best option". Saying that is ridiculous.

Tbh I think atm r Jennings is a much better option but they are going to persist with Staines atm because no doubt he is the future and a work in progress.

R Jennings is a much more rounded player at this stage of his career. Strong ball carrier, good finisher and good speed. I can understand why they are and will persist with Staines tho.

Anyone who thinks Staines is our best option after 2 games against two of the bottom sides from last year.... well, he has a lot to prove.

You may not have watched the reserve grade but R J was put on report so may have a problem. Also I was not overly impressed with him today.

Girds89

Bench
Staines is easily one of our two best wingers. That’s a no brainer

Really? What's he done to show that? He scored a few tries which were basically catch and score!!!

He has made mistakes both games this year which shouldn't have been made and has had very little involvement.

I have no doubt he's a special talent but he is raw and certainly looks like he needs a fair bit of time, development and more size.

Was only a few years ago r Jennings was scoring tries every week for the bunnies. Very underrated solid player. I have no doubt that if he was on the wing in the first 2 games he'd have done as good a job as Charlie with probably an extra 100m to his name

Jane Murray

Bench
Really? What's he done to show that? He scored a few tries which were basically catch and score!!!

He has made mistakes both games this year which shouldn't have been made and has had very little involvement.

I have no doubt he's a special talent but he is raw and certainly looks like he needs a fair bit of time, development and more size.

Was only a few years ago r Jennings was scoring tries every week for the bunnies. Very underrated solid player. I have no doubt that if he was on the wing in the first 2 games he'd have done as good a job as Charlie with probably an extra 100m to his name
And more experience. Give Staines a chance.

unKwn

Juniors

His tries against manly last year were far from just catch and score

Girds89

Bench
His tries against manly last year were far from just catch and score

My point I guess is that Penrith are going away from everything that has worked for them since Gus arrived and the procedures he put in place.

He was always vocal that he thought it was best to give the juniors a sniff and then got back to nsw cup to fine tune their game.

And that theory has literally worked a treat and got us where we are today. Look at all our juniors that have followed that system with a few exceptions like cleary.

Listen to Ivan's presser today and he literally talks about it with luai...the importance of nsw cup development and not rushing them.

Imo it would may be detrimental for Staines just to leave him there when there are clearly options in nsw cup like Jennings who are nrl hardened and is a good player.

I just don't get how people can say he is our best option when he has been underwhelming so far. I don't expect anything from him but it seems ivan and co have thrown all the eggs into one basket with him and are going to rush him.

And that is certainly going away from what has worked that Gus implemented and got 90% of our juniors in nrl to the stage they are at right now. Luai the perfect example. Came into got a few tastes, went back down to cup than come back grade hardened against men and took to it like a duck to water.

Only change id consider making is r Jennings for Staines. I said it a few weeks ago and nothing has changed, Staines will be a work in progress and I think it will be 18 months before he starts to find his feet and excel in nrl. He needs to add 4-5kgs slowly over 12 months

Jennings doesn’t have half the talent Staines does. He might be a work in progress but he’s still better than Jennings is right now.

Latest posts