What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
For me it's the positional play and intent with Dufty.

He is constantly caught out of position and his attempts to scramble back are pathetic. The Holmes try for example, completely in no mans land and jogs like a princess while Holmes strolls over. f**k, even Hunt got to Holmes before Duff and he had more ground to cover.

He also needs to run the ball back with more fire. I get that he's small, but that's exactly why he needs to hit it back hard. Paps is a very similar build and doesn't seem to have an issue with this.
If he's afraid of getting hurt, he needs to find a new profession.
Watch a replay of the Holmes try..

Dufty had just been involved in the Jensen tackle where he offloaded to Holmes.

If Dufty wasn’t there to stop Jensen, he scores in that play.

He can’t be in 2 places at once

Old Timer

Coach
Dufty had a quiet and mostly uneventful game tonight.

The criticism re him being driven back tonight is a bit one sided as no doubt their defence did load up a few times and caused some damage to a few of our players when they were taking the hit up close to our line so it was more to do with their commitment rather than our inability.

The good thing was we didn't cough up possession or lose confidence as a result of their stout defence so that is a real plus.

I was a bit surprised that Dufty was not a bit more involved in our attack considering the absolute dominance of Hunt in particular and also the fact that our forwards did get into a few decent offload positions.

So as I say bit of a quiet night for Dufty but no real glaring errors was pleasing but I am sure that Hook will keep working on his total input and the need for more determination in all his runs.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade

I watched it. He made the tackle. But then had time and didn’t try run back to the fullback spot. He showed no urgency. I don’t want to bag the kid, but he really needs to pull his finger out if he wants a contract next year

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I watched it. He made the tackle. But then had time and didn’t try run back to the fullback spot. He showed no urgency. I don’t want to bag the kid, but he really needs to pull his finger out if he wants a contract next year
Where is the fullback spot precisely?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Yep. But when Jensen played the ball, he stayed in the line instead of getting behind the line and following Holmes.
You realise a pass travels faster than people can run yeah?

Add to that he’s on the ground when the ball is passed..

Blaming Dufty for that is placing unrealistic expectations on basic human mechanics..

If people are that keen to pin the try on him, he should have tried to wrap the ball up more so that the pass didn’t happen..

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
You realise a pass travels faster than people can run yeah?

Add to that he’s on the ground when the ball is passed..

Blaming Dufty for that is placing unrealistic expectations on basic human mechanics..

If people are that keen to pin the try on him, he should have tried to wrap the ball up more so that the pass didn’t happen..
From what I saw, he was very slow, after the play the ball. if he actually ran a bit, he could’ve been in position to at least make life difficult for Holmes. Anyway, maybe I was wrong in what I saw. Guess I’ll have to watch the replay to be sure.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Yep. But when Jensen played the ball, he stayed in the line instead of getting behind the line and following Holmes.
It’s a couching issue, if Dufty can’t or won’t cover under the posts then Hunt or Norman should cover for him. I thought after the two tries against Cronulla this issue would have been addressed

Dufty’s positional play has always been poor no wonder other sides are using short attacking kicks at the posts to great effect

It’s a couching issue, if Dufty can’t or won’t cover under the posts then Hunt or Norman should cover for him. I thought after the two tries against Cronulla this issue would have been addressed

Dufty’s positional play has always been poor no wonder other sides are using short attacking kicks at the posts to great effect
Do you think a fullback needs to stay under the posts?

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade

I think Dufty can be a great player if he spends some time under a good coach. I hope Hook gets the best out of him. I want the kid to shine.

Dragons 09

Juniors
From what I saw, he was very slow, after the play the ball. if he actually ran a bit, he could’ve been in position to at least make life difficult for Holmes. Anyway, maybe I was wrong in what I saw. Guess I’ll have to watch the replay to be sure.

You saw what i saw mate and he has been very poor both positionally and from an effort perspective when defending his line since he came into the NRL. Hopefully Hook can teach him what Mary was incapable of teaching him. His effort with exactly 5 minutes to go when the Cows put up a bomb, was another example of the little things that drive me mad with Dufty. His highs are really high, but his lows are rock bottom. Just gotta keep the faith i guess and hope Hook can turn things around for him!

TomRedVRiver

Bench

Just watched the replay. He had PLENTY of time to reset and get himself back into position. The Jensen involvement happened in close proximity to the next place.

Watch how he just jogs and literally watched Holmes stroll over. No desperation at all.

Buz-V

Juniors

This! Not sure how you can't see this Muzby, He had ample time to cover after the tackle and was completely out of position. Then just jogs. I love the Duff, He's an attacking beast but his fullback positional play is the worst in the league. He just gets lazy and doesn't seem to care. It's infurating to me.

watatank

Coach
Just watched the replay. He had PLENTY of time to reset and get himself back into position. The Jensen involvement happened in close proximity to the next place.

Watch how he just jogs and literally watched Holmes stroll over. No desperation at all.

Yeah I think he was guilty of ball watching on that play and he underestimated Holmes too..good effort on Jensen but needs to be better on the next effort

rasaint

Juniors
Thank heavens Dufty saved us from twelve nil down when he held up the cow centre and pushed the ball back. Also still waiting for Granville to ground the ball after Dufty got his arm under and lifted it back. Favourably call to the cows.