What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 Vs Bulldogs [THE MATT BURTON CUP]- Bankwest Stadium 3pm Sat

The_Frog

First Grade
Didn’t see the game but happy for Momirovski to get a couple of tries. Who was the guy on here who said he was crap lol? Feel like swapping him back for BJ?
He did miss a few tackles. His two tries were when the game was won, but he won't be dropped at this stage.

BJ needs to play for a different team to his brother.

The_Frog

First Grade
Haha ok Frog your right.

Gus never wanted to win a comp at Penrith. He turned up to work, driving all the way from the nth shore up the m4, put his everything in to save the club, but couldn't be arsed to win another comp. Just rocked up to Panthers to go through the motions everyday. Hahaha.

Been reading this forum for 15 years and before that PI.

That's the dumbest comment I can remember.
I'd say he drove to Penrith because he was paid to do so. As I said, he is considered a success at Penrith because he turned us from a club with a winning ratio well below 50% to one with a winning ratio above 50% and regular finals appearances by getting the development pathways in order. That was his aim. That was all he needed to do to be regarded as a successful operator. By the way he lives in the Sutherland shire, not the North Shore. Do some research before you troll.

Penrithstormchasing on Facebook.

Nepean spilling onto the river road rapidly.

Cars stuck in water.

The city may have to be evacuated.

Take care smuglets.

Be a good time to buy groceries this afternoon.

The northern road is flooding near Cambridge Park

Roads in the riff are starting to disintegrate and collapse.

Fangs

Coach
I wasn’t denying Gus impact on the club, he did some great stuff here. But the policy of deliberately rotating players back to NSW cup is a nonsense, if someone is good enough, they’re old enough.

Just a general statement wasn't a direct reply to one person.

I agree let them play. Imagine if we did this with Nathan Cleary.

franklin2323

Immortal
Just a general statement wasn't a direct reply to one person.

I agree let them play. Imagine if we did this with Nathan Cleary.

Different circumstances his build for one reason.

Would Luai be as good if he had played more FG instead of being the slow burn

Fangs

Coach
Different circumstances his build for one reason.

Would Luai be as good if he had played more FG instead of being the slow burn

The other consideration is keeping players happy. I don't think Staines would hang around. Yet Burton is doing that right now.

Pomoz

Bench
A very comprehensive victory and a demonstration of the control and power the Panther's have at the moment. A couple of points:
  • Napa looks a shadow of the player he once was. 37m and 24 tackles with 4 misses. There is obviously something going on that is distracting him, he looks like he doesn't want to be there;
  • Our forward pack is so good, they are relentless. I am in awe of JFH and Yeo, they are so consistent. Every week they give 110%. No histrionics, no posturing like Klemmer or dirty tactics like Pengai Junior. Just fearless all out effort, guts and determination. It must be so frustrating for the other team because you bash them and they just come back for more. Just when your lungs are burning, your legs are jelly and you can hardly move, these two just keep rolling in like the surf in Oahu. When JFH goes off, on comes Leniu.....;
  • Fish, what a player! The Dogs pack were trying to dominate him early on and he just kept driving them backwards. He made more post contact metres than the Dogs starting props made in run metres. What is incredible to me, is that he is no massive goliath using his bulk to dominate the ruck. He is 1.87m and 103kg. Look, he is obviously genetically blessed with an engine that would be the envy of Tour De France winners. But many super fit players have played NRL without achieving the impact that JFH has. JFH is so tough and lion hearted his size is irrelevant. You look in his eyes and his steely desire to win is almost scary. It is like looking into the eyes of a Great White Shark....;
  • Crichton is very quiet in attack at the moment. Luckily Kikau and Luai are providing plenty of attacking threat down his side, so it hasn't had an impact yet. He needs to lift his workrate though and do a few more hit ups to help the forwards;
  • To'o is another player who makes a mockery of the idea size is everything. A pocket hercules who is willing to do the hard work but can also show a bit of flair when needed. 241m in the wet is mind blowing!;
  • Many on here accurately predicted that the Dogs forwards aren't good enough and it woud seem they are right. It's only two games and they have Thompson to come back, but the signs aren't good. I think TB's coaching career could be in trouble.

Pomoz

Bench
I wasn’t denying Gus impact on the club, he did some great stuff here. But the policy of deliberately rotating players back to NSW cup is a nonsense, if someone is good enough, they’re old enough.
Nonsense is a strong word and in my view, wrong. The fact that some people don't need to do it (drop back to NSW cup), doesn't mean it's not generally correct.

It's a medical fact that males don't reach their physical peak until 25, so for a start a youngster is likely to be physically weaker pound per pound. They also won't have had the benefit of as many off-seasons to build strength and muscle mass as the older players. Of course, some people are so physically strong it doesn't matter they aren't at their peak and their ability to cope will be about mental fatigue, not physical fatigue.

I think it would be fair to say the coaches at the Panthers have managed this quite well. The concept has been applied on a case by case basis and some players have moved up and got long stretches in first grade because they have coped and others have been moved back down and given a rest. The outcome is there for all to see. A GF in 2020 and in 2021, 11 local juniors as starting first graders, 3 local juniors on the bench and a 28 nil shutout in round 2. You don't get that by following the old Panthers way of chucking in players like Sjeika and hoping they crack the big time. Some swim, but far too many sink.

Nonsense? Nah, smart management that has helped set the Panther's apart from the likes of the Dogs and Manly et al. It's just a shame its taken 40 years for the penny to drop.

The_Frog

First Grade
  • Many on here accurately predicted that the Dogs forwards aren't good enough and it woud seem they are right. It's only two games and they have Thompson to come back, but the signs aren't good. I think TB's coaching career could be in trouble.
Maybe it would help if Big Papa played like an Origin player rather than a park footballer.

Girds89

Bench
I'd say he drove to Penrith because he was paid to do so. As I said, he is considered a success at Penrith because he turned us from a club with a winning ratio well below 50% to one with a winning ratio above 50% and regular finals appearances by getting the development pathways in order. That was his aim. That was all he needed to do to be regarded as a successful operator. By the way he lives in the Sutherland shire, not the North Shore. Do some research before you troll.

Omg I can't deal with the stupidity on this forum.

Frog....

I read for many years here and PI. You take the cake.

"He drove to Penrith because he was paid to do so".

You know absolutely nothing. You are the reason I don't post. Absolute lovers like you have no idea haha.

I love the panthers. I'd support any player, but you've absolutely lost the plot

franklin2323

Immortal
The other consideration is keeping players happy. I don't think Staines would hang around. Yet Burton is doing that right now.

Which is all good now but if a better option becomes available then it is poor management to pick a player so he doesn't sulk

Latest posts