What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French Growth

adamkungl

Immortal
He sounds like an ambitious guy. Saying the right things.
Which probably means he'll be chewed up and spat out by the backwards RL establishment.
But hey, we need another pipe dream to follow after Canada

RedVee

First Grade
Still a pro comp in France would be nice. It could give Toronto/Ottawa not to mention Serbia and Italian sides with ambition a higher level to aim for.

I know.

adamkungl

Immortal
Still a pro comp in France would be nice. It could give Toronto/Ottawa not to mention Serbia and Italian sides with ambition a higher level to aim for.

I know.

I don't think there's any realistic hope of someone swooping in with a whole heap of cash and turning France back to pro instantly. But with smart work, and actual ambition, they could get there.

Elite One getting a national broadcast deal would be a game changer. Have to take steps to make it attractive for broadcasters. Once you've got some external money coming in, you can get a proper roll on. Develop Elite One to a full time league.

They've started self producing streamed broadcasts which is great and I think local TV shows some. Hopefully they see some audience. Catalans is back on TV. Toulouse getting to Super League would be another win.
Expansion of Elite One to Lyon and Toulon would add some serious population and city clout.
Even though Paris is a while away from top league status, it should be central to their plans. Talk about expansion. Hold exhibition and test matches there, magic weekend etc.

Rather than pipe dreams of England, teams from Spain and Serbia could look at France.
Red Star in Elite? Probably achievable.

The national team has to be playing 5-6 times a year. Can't wait on England to solve their problems, take initiative.
There's an international weekend coming up, England turned them down, lets see if the new Presidente does something about it. Invite Ireland, Scotland, Italy, Lebanon... Doesn't have to have their Super League players, though it would be nice.
Elite One final is one June 20.. why not have a 3 or 4 game run of internationals featuring the best of Elite One? One understated reason for France's poor WC and October/November test performances - half their players finish playing 4 months earlier! Get them on the field!

yakstorm

First Grade
I might be wrong, but I don't feel like there is the same hostility to change or outside influences within France that the United Kingdom and Australia (although in fairness Australia is changing).

Most comments I've seen so far recognise that the previous board did a good job turning the FFRXIII from a financial basket case into a solvent entity and are hoping Lacoste will now help take Rugby League to the next level.

The few runs he already has on the board should help as well hold off his detractors. Getting Robinson on the French coaching team is a coup, and the strong coverage this season (which in fairness was setup by the old board) and the continued investment into streaming next year are all positive. Same with plans to expand Elite One to 12 teams.

Overall, for me, the most encouraging part of his plans is the investment in foundations. He want's to make the Elite One clubs more professional, and direct funds away from just players to actually having better facilities and things like Marketing departments / etc which I'm sure will get some resistance, but has the potential to dramatically grow a few of the bigger clubs.

Actually having a plan to help re-establish league in and around Paris is massive as well.