What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round three vs The Storm

Girds89

Bench
Shame Frog wasn't given the same courtesy by Girds eh.

Frog stated Gus never wanted to win a comp at Penrith, was just happy making the finals.

I said that was bs and I didn't think that was opinion, just a throw away comment. Not sure how anyone in their right mind could think that.

Frog has lots of good opinions about the team and players like everyone on here. Decided to post after reading for such along time because for the most part it's pretty positive in here and a bit of fun.

The Gus thing got me fired up because I bet more than anything he wouldve wanted to win a comp. Don't worry about whst he says on 9 or his podcasts. He was a competitor his whole life,player then coach then management. You never lose the drive to win, especially not someone who loves the club the way Gus did.

Jane Murray

Bench
did you actually read the thread?

I said that dropping May for Burton was crazy and he said that my comment was ridiculous.

I feel like you may have only read half the conversation.

and for the record, I think Burto would be great off the bench or in the halves, just not as good as our current 17, an injury in the halves or to May and he’s straight in.
It is beginning to look like Cleary will not play.

WestyLife

First Grade
https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...7bc580045e51dd1182b?__twitter_impression=true

A short turnaround looks set to rub Penrith captain Nathan Cleary out of Round 3, which opens the door for a young star on his way out of the club

THURSDAY MARCH 25

Penrith Panthers vs Melbourne Storm, 8.05pm at Panthers Stadium

Panthers team: 1. Dylan Edwards 2. Charlie Staines 3. Paul Momirovski 4. Stephen Crichton 5. Brian To’o 6. Jarome Luai 7. Nathan Cleary 8. Moses Leota 21. Mitch Kenny 10. James Fisher-Harris 11. Viliame Kikau 12. Kurt Capewell 13. Isaah Yeo 14. Tyrone May 15. Spencer Leniu 16. Matthew Eisenhuth 17. Liam Martin

Team Tips: There’s multiple reports halfback Nathan Cleary will sit out Round 3 after copping a whack to the head late in Saturday’s win over the Bulldogs. Cleary passed his SCAT test, according to his coach, but with a five-day turnaround it’s looking likely he will sit out as a precaution. It means young gun Matt Burton will likely fill a spot in the halves. “We’ve got Matt Burton sitting there... maybe it’s his week, we’ll see what happens,” coach Ivan Cleary said. Meanwhile, hooker Api Koroisau was a late withdrawal last week due to a wrist injury. Mitch Kenny was called into the squad and he will fill that spot for the next six weeks.

Last week’s Storm team: 1. Ryan Papenhuyzen 2. George Jennings 3. Reimis Smith 4. Justin Olam 5. Josh Addo-Carr 6. Cameron Munster 7. Jahrome Hughes 8. Jesse Bromwich 9. Brandon Smith 10. Christian Welch 11. Felise Kaufusi 12. Kenneath Bromwich 13. Nelson Asofa-Solomona 14. Tyson Smoothy 15. Tui Kamikamica 16. Tom Eisenhuth 17. Chris Lewis

Team Tips: The Storm will be without Felise Kaufusi after he was charged for his elbow to the head of Ryan Matterson. Kaufusi is facing two to three weeks on the sidelines with either Tom Eisenhuth or Chris Lewis coming in to replace him. Nelson Asofa-Solomona picked up a sternum injury but is expected to play. Melbourne confirmed over the weekend that Brenko Lee is looking at a Round 4 return while Dale Finucane and Harry Grant are hoping for Round 5.

The_Frog

First Grade
Shame Frog wasn't given the same courtesy by Girds eh.
He appears to like to start blues, is my opinion. For what its worth my view is that the quest to make a utility out of Burton is over ever since he signed with the Dogs for next year. He is a back up half /five-eighth of excellent quality and that's it. You can't have both him and May on the same bench and May covers far more contingencies adequately.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
With Kaufusi and Finucane out and NAS crocked, the Storm look vulnerable in the forwards, which is where Parra got them. This is where we'll be looking to establish a platform.

I agree, I don’t think NAS can handle the extra work load. As long as we keep the pressure on, I think we will win, even without Nathan.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Nath and Api are our 2 most important players. We'll do really well to win this one but it will be great to see Burton in first grade again. Hopefully he makes it impossible for Ivan to leave him out of the 17 moving forward

BxTom

Bench
https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...7bc580045e51dd1182b?__twitter_impression=true

A short turnaround looks set to rub Penrith captain Nathan Cleary out of Round 3, which opens the door for a young star on his way out of the club

THURSDAY MARCH 25

Penrith Panthers vs Melbourne Storm, 8.05pm at Panthers Stadium

Panthers team: 1. Dylan Edwards 2. Charlie Staines 3. Paul Momirovski 4. Stephen Crichton 5. Brian To’o 6. Jarome Luai 7. Nathan Cleary 8. Moses Leota 21. Mitch Kenny 10. James Fisher-Harris 11. Viliame Kikau 12. Kurt Capewell 13. Isaah Yeo 14. Tyrone May 15. Spencer Leniu 16. Matthew Eisenhuth 17. Liam Martin

Team Tips: There’s multiple reports halfback Nathan Cleary will sit out Round 3 after copping a whack to the head late in Saturday’s win over the Bulldogs. Cleary passed his SCAT test, according to his coach, but with a five-day turnaround it’s looking likely he will sit out as a precaution. It means young gun Matt Burton will likely fill a spot in the halves. “We’ve got Matt Burton sitting there... maybe it’s his week, we’ll see what happens,” coach Ivan Cleary said. Meanwhile, hooker Api Koroisau was a late withdrawal last week due to a wrist injury. Mitch Kenny was called into the squad and he will fill that spot for the next six weeks.

Last week’s Storm team: 1. Ryan Papenhuyzen 2. George Jennings 3. Reimis Smith 4. Justin Olam 5. Josh Addo-Carr 6. Cameron Munster 7. Jahrome Hughes 8. Jesse Bromwich 9. Brandon Smith 10. Christian Welch 11. Felise Kaufusi 12. Kenneath Bromwich 13. Nelson Asofa-Solomona 14. Tyson Smoothy 15. Tui Kamikamica 16. Tom Eisenhuth 17. Chris Lewis

Team Tips: The Storm will be without Felise Kaufusi after he was charged for his elbow to the head of Ryan Matterson. Kaufusi is facing two to three weeks on the sidelines with either Tom Eisenhuth or Chris Lewis coming in to replace him. Nelson Asofa-Solomona picked up a sternum injury but is expected to play. Melbourne confirmed over the weekend that Brenko Lee is looking at a Round 4 return while Dale Finucane and Harry Grant are hoping for Round 5.
I'm guessing that the "multiple report" that Cleary won't play are actually coming from this forum. The way that the club hid the injury to Api shows that they don't like to show their hand.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I'm guessing that the "multiple report" that Cleary won't play are actually coming from this forum. The way that the club hid the injury to Api shows that they don't like to show their hand.

The NRL Physio seems to think he’s a good chance of missing. Who knows though really.

I can only assume and hope, that the club is taking the cautious approach. It’s a long season.

Black Magik

Juniors
A question about the HIA.

Did Nathan pass it? It was in the final 10 minutes of the game so he wasn't returning but did he pass?

Isn't there a case where a player comes off for HIA and passes to return to the game and is free to play the next week.

BxTom

Bench

Did Nathan pass it? It was in the final 10 minutes of the game so he wasn't returning but did he pass?

Isn't there a case where a player comes off for HIA and passes to return to the game and is free to play the next week.
Kikau came off for a HIA and returned. I don't have the HIA rules here, but you would think that if they passed, they are allowed to play. I don't see any talk of Kikau not playing this week, so what's the difference with Cleary?

A bit extra;

As the Panthers prepare for the grand final rematch against the Storm on Thursday, halfback Nathan Cleary will be monitored for any latent concussion even though he was cleared in an HIA after the win over the Bulldogs.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/01/23/casualty-ward-all-the-latest-nrl-injury-news2/

Last edited:

The_Frog

First Grade

It's not quite that simple. It depends on how he feels afterwards and in the days following. Jarome was quoted as saying that Nathan felt dazed after the match. If that's the case he has to go through the protocols.

I feel the club will draw the crabs from sections of media if they play him. The Storm will be preparing for Burton at half anyway.

WestyLife

First Grade
It's not quite that simple. It depends on how he feels afterwards and in the days following. Jarome was quoted as saying that Nathan felt dazed after the match. If that's the case he has to go through the protocols.

I feel the club will draw the crabs from sections of media if they play him. The Storm will be preparing for Burton at half anyway.

Whether he's right or not I'd rest him. It's round 3 and we have Burton for just this scenario. Keep the guys healthy for the serious end of the season.

Kikau came off for a HIA and returned. I don't have the HIA rules here, but you would think that if they passed, they are allowed to play. I don't see any talk of Kikau not playing this week, so what's the difference with Cleary?

A bit extra;

As the Panthers prepare for the grand final rematch against the Storm on Thursday, halfback Nathan Cleary will be monitored for any latent concussion even though he was cleared in an HIA after the win over the Bulldogs.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/01/23/casualty-ward-all-the-latest-nrl-injury-news2/

I think it’s just that Nathan is a bigger cog in the wheel.

franklin2323

Immortal
Nath and Api are our 2 most important players. We'll do really well to win this one but it will be great to see Burton in first grade again. Hopefully he makes it impossible for Ivan to leave him out of the 17 moving forward

Luai sparks all our attack. He is the one we can't cover

franklin2323

Immortal

If he could play hooker. He'd be in the 17 over May

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
This is what I think will happen. If Nathan doesn't play, I can see Matt being names at 6 but actually playing 14 when the game starts.

I believe May will play 7 as he and Lui played juniors together and know each others game well.

Penrith will hold their cards close to their chests, (see Api injury last week as an example)

Nathan I believe if his tests come back good, is a more than 75% chance of playing, especially against the Storm.

Shout out to Kenny he is being mentored well by Api that set up for Bill K's try was a gem.

BxTom

Bench
This is what I think will happen. If Nathan doesn't play, I can see Matt being names at 6 but actually playing 14 when the game starts.

I believe May will play 7 as he and Lui played juniors together and know each others game well.

Penrith will hold their cards close to their chests, (see Api injury last week as an example)

Nathan I believe if his tests come back good, is a more than 75% chance of playing, especially against the Storm.

Shout out to Kenny he is being mentored well by Api that set up for Bill K's try was a gem.
I think you pretty well nailed it. I think that if Nathan can play, he will play. They are happy about the uncertainty.