What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wine thread

Bazal

Post Whore
Mallaluka Mataro 2020. A stand in cos they got no fruit from Canberra. Fruit from the Riverland.

Don't think classic Mataro, this is made to drink young and fill a gap in the range. That huge body that Mataro can get is nowhere in this one, instead it's fresh and juicy. Big red berried, cherry, and flowering aromatic thyme? Maybe a little orange peel, cardamom and anise.

A really cool wine.

Bazal

Post Whore
Was picking up a bottle of Champagne for a gift and nabbed a bottle from my personal favourite French red region for myself.

It's wet as f**k, why not

EDIT - I then forgot to write about it. Le Mentor Gigondas. 2018.

Last night, big and red, classic Gigondas with big rep plums and cherries and red fruits, bit of woody herbs, a touch earthy. Loads of power and great length.

Tonight it obviously had breathed a lot. More earth and herbs, some flint/graphite, more foresty fruit. Both nights it had good acid.

And then with slow cooked beef ribs it tasted like chocolate milk, which was crazy. Surprisingly given how powerful it is and how the acid shows up, the beef brought out all the oak and the malo. It was not unpleasant.

Last edited:

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Mallaluka Mataro 2020. A stand in cos they got no fruit from Canberra. Fruit from the Riverland.

Don't think classic Mataro, this is made to drink young and fill a gap in the range. That huge body that Mataro can get is nowhere in this one, instead it's fresh and juicy. Big red berried, cherry, and flowering aromatic thyme? Maybe a little orange peel, cardamom and anise.

A really cool wine.

How much did you pay? Did the Riverland appellation put you off?

Drew-Sta

Staff member
I’ve started something on the side with some friends. Keeping it on the hush but it’s things are looking promising.

Bazal

Post Whore
How much did you pay? Did the Riverland appellation put you off?

Not at all. I love what Sam does and I genuinely believe he could make Yellowtail fruit interesting lol.

I think its $30 in their website but I paid about 24?

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Not at all. I love what Sam does and I genuinely believe he could make Yellowtail fruit interesting lol.

I think its $30 in their website but I paid about 24?

Nice.

Yes, $30 is the bit that is interesting. Noone would have dreamed of charging such a price for Riverland wine even five years ago, but it is fast changing and that is a good thing.

The quality of the emerging varietals there is astounding.

Bazal

Post Whore
Grabbed one of these at Uncle Dans. Recommend, went absolutely stellar with the brisket birria tacos I put together

892744-1.png

Bazal

Post Whore
Schmick label.

So, I’m striking out on my own. Gave my notice to Pernod, and will do contract sales and marketing to Frank Tate, while building my own brand.

Also working on a seltzer and AF beer.

Spent last weekend in Orange...you reckon that's a schmick label, check out JS Wines. Incidentally also the pick of the weekend, their pinot is unbelievable.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Spent last weekend in Orange...you reckon that's a schmick label, check out JS Wines. Incidentally also the pick of the weekend, their pinot is unbelievable.

They remind me of the old McWilliams appellation range or some of David Lowes stuff.

_Johnsy

Referee
Schmick label.

So, I’m striking out on my own. Gave my notice to Pernod, and will do contract sales and marketing to Frank Tate, while building my own brand.

Also working on a seltzer and AF beer.

Best wishes mate, hope it all goes well & kicks on for you.

Last edited:

Bazal

Post Whore
Having a bit of a shindig tomorrow night. Aged white is the theme (but let's be honest I'm gonna sneak a red in at some stage).

My contributions are a 2003 Dujac Fils et Pere Meursault, a 2003 Mt Pleasant Lovedale Semillon, and a 2011 Grosset Polish Hill Riesling.

Given it's at my place I have plenty of backup bottles as well....which is good cos I'm a bit worried about the Meursault, which I honestly forgot I had. Plus the first two are under cork anyway.

Probably sneak in a 2009 Grosset Gaia or a 2009 Craggy Range Gimblett Gravels Syrah

Bazal

Post Whore
I got silly, on the red

Opened a 2003 Domaine Dujac Clos Saint-Denis

Between the whites and the red I should be on Reddit...I drank $1000 of wine tonight ama

Edit-Yes that is literally at least $900 worth of pinot....Zero regrets. Will leave a glass til tomorrow and hopefully I remember to post a review because it deserves one

Last edited:

horrie hastings

First Grade
I got silly, on the red

Opened a 2003 Domaine Dujac Clos Saint-Denis

Between the whites and the red I should be on Reddit...I drank $1000 of wine tonight ama

While i cracked a bottle of Samuel Wynn Last Rites 2019 Cab Sav that Liqourland cleared for $5, watching the Donkeys get rolled i was wondering how your shindig was going or went :eek:

Bazal

Post Whore
While i cracked a bottle of Samuel Wynn Last Rites 2019 Cab Sav that Liqourland cleared for $5, watching the Donkeys get rolled i was wondering how your shindig was going or went :eek:

Hahah well timed quoting..

2003 Meursault, Domaine Dujac. The wine I was most worried about but it was immaculate. Gorgeous, cashew and fig and butter and great acid. Beautiful rich burgundy chardy

2003 Mt Pleasant Lovedale Semillon. Again, held up amazing. Lemon butter, salt water, Kaffir lime, brioche. Would deadset go ten years more .

2011 Grosset Polish Hill. Kaffir lime, honeysuckle, orange blossom, earl grey tea. Acid still high in a good way.

2006 Mt Pleasant Elizabeth semillon. Random pick for comparison. Surprisingly great, all orange blossom and light honey, a little lime. Shockingly good for a $12 but I kept for curiousity

2003 Dujac Clos Saint-Denis.....Tune in tomorrow

horrie hastings

First Grade
Hahah well timed quoting..

2003 Meursault, Domaine Dujac. The wine I was most worried about but it was immaculate. Gorgeous, cashew and fig and butter and great acid. Beautiful rich burgundy chardy

2003 Mt Pleasant Lovedale Semillon. Again, held up amazing. Lemon butter, salt water, Kaffir lime, brioche. Would deadset go ten years more .

2011 Grosset Polish Hill. Kaffir lime, honeysuckle, orange blossom, earl grey tea. Acid still high in a good way.

2006 Mt Pleasant Elizabeth semillon. Random pick for comparison. Surprisingly great, all orange blossom and light honey, a little lime. Shockingly good for a $12 but I kept for curiousity

2003 Dujac Clos Saint-Denis.....Tune in tomorrow

My God, you just jogged my memory that i had some semillon's hidden away in a cupboard which weren't on my wine list, a 2009 Cassegrain Edition Noir Semillon and a couple of both 2010 and 2011 Cassegrain Semillon's, they looked sad in a box tucked away in the back of a cupboard which i had truly forgotten about, not in the same league as The Mount Pleasants but still will be interesting.

The 2003 Mt Pleasant Lovedale Semillon sounds absolutely divine.