What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

eel01s

Bench
Plus as Brown gets older his ability to play longer minutes diminishes. $600k is fair value I reckon.

I hate the fourth tackle settler but that wouldn't be his choice. And I've been impressed with him this year. That said, everyone has a price and like Matty Bhoy, I've got a lot more faith in our recruitment team now than for a long time.

Eelogical

Referee
I hate the fourth tackle settler but that wouldn't be his choice. And I've been impressed with him this year. That said, everyone has a price and like Matty Bhoy, I've got a lot more faith in our recruitment team now than for a long time.
While I agree with most of this our bench has been our achilles heel in recent times for the most part.

Incorrect

Coach
I know it goes against popular opinion but i reckon he would be a MASSIVE loss.
He is the only person in our team who offers alot of merkin ... takes plenty of hard runs ... gives us momentum ... hits hard in defense ... hard to replace.
I'm with you. I've said it before, he's one bloke that doesn't float in and out of games or have a blinder one week and then goes missing for a month (the prosecution is looking at you Mr Lane). Nrown has brought the same energy and merkin every game, every season regardless of his contract status. That is not easy replaced IMO. And unpopular as it will be to say, and I know they play different positions etc, but maybe looking for similar coin, I'd rather let Matterson go and keep Nrown. Matterson's recent concussion record has him looking a little vulnerable in terms of his long term future. Not saying it's necessarily a choice between the two that we need to make, but if it came down to it, I'd be weighing it up very carefully

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
He is a very good player, and we have made a pretty fair offer, however he is replaceable.

Papa / Marata could do the role from within the club (additionally Lane could potentially move permanently to the middle if Cartwright kicks on). Stone also has some potential there especially with the smaller lock coming back into the game. There are options and that is without recruiting. Could even give us room to blood Hollis / Hughes next year.

Additionally while Nrown leaving could weaken the “lock” position for us, it leaves us with $600k to strengthen another position.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I'm with you. I've said it before, he's one bloke that doesn't float in and out of games or have a blinder one week and then goes missing for a month (the prosecution is looking at you Mr Lane). Nrown has brought the same energy and merkin every game, every season regardless of his contract status. That is not easy replaced IMO. And unpopular as it will be to say, and I know they play different positions etc, but maybe looking for similar coin, I'd rather let Matterson go and keep Nrown. Matterson's recent concussion record has him looking a little vulnerable in terms of his long term future. Not saying it's necessarily a choice between the two that we need to make, but if it came down to it, I'd be weighing it up very carefully

The edge position is a lot harder to replace, especially finding someone of Matterson’s standard.

plenty of middles around especially with a $600k budget.

Incorrect

Coach
The edge position is a lot harder to replace, especially finding someone of Matterson’s standard.

plenty of middles around especially with a $600k budget.
Blokes who turn up and give 100% each and every week and compete at a high standard are also not easy to replace

Eelementary

Post Whore

I'm a big, big Ryan Matterson fan, and I agree with this.

Nathan Brown is consistently playing at an 8/10, with the odd 9/10 or 10/10.

The energy, and aggression, he brings will not be easily replaced if he leaves.

Avenger

Immortal
The handbrake isn't worth a cent more.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Previously I’d have agreed with you. But with Marata’s continued improvement and Papali’i’s contribution so far (Yep I totally get it’s only been two games), I’m thinking not so much as previously. Regardless, for the first time in a long time, I’ve actually got total faith in the club’s recruitment and retention policies.

I really like Niukore - he is one of my favourite players.

And Papali'i has been phenomenal - a real breath of fresh air.

But imo, neither player brings the same consistency, and energy, as Brown does.

And that's OK - both Niukore, and Papali'i, are both still young, whereas Brown has more experience.

But the intangibles that Brown brings to the table - consistency, energy, aggression - are not easily replaced, imo.

Last edited:

strider

Post Whore
Previously I’d have agreed with you. But with Marata’s continued improvement and Papali’i’s contribution so far (Yep I totally get it’s only been two games), I’m thinking not so much as previously. Regardless, for the first time in a long time, I’ve actually got total faith in the club’s recruitment and retention policies.
agree - marata is improving and I would agree goes hard ..... and I'm lovin' papalii ...... I am not saying pay ridiculous overs from Nrown - just think he offers plenty to our team and would be missed

crocodile

Bench
I really like Niukore - he is one of mt favourite players.

And Papali'i has been phenomenal - a real breath of fresh air.

But imo, neither player brings the same consistency, and energy, as Brown does.

And that's OK - both Niukore, and Papali'i, are both still young, whereas Brown has more experience.

But the intangibles that Brown brings to the table - consistency, energy, aggression - are not easily replaced, imo.
He's got a decent offload as well. Rarely throws a Mateo style speculator.

IFR33K

Coach
I know it goes against popular opinion but i reckon he would be a MASSIVE loss.
He is the only person in our team who offers alot of merkin ... takes plenty of hard runs ... gives us momentum ... hits hard in defense ... hard to replace.

I agree to a degree, but you must remember we have some decent coin already invested in our middles. Paulo and RCG. Maybe the club is planning on filling the void with Marata or papa. And banking on two of our younger props coming thru. Brown is a good player, who may start to decline after next year.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
While I agree with most of this our bench has been our achilles heel in recent times for the most part.
I reckon our starting middle forwards would all be in our top 7 or 8 paid players. I'm not sure we should expect too much quality on our bench.

Lower your expectations ffs. We don't deserve too good a team.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I agree to a degree, but you must remember we have some decent coin already invested in our middles. Paulo and RCG. Maybe the club is planning on filling the void with Marata or papa. And banking on two of our younger props coming thru. Brown is a good player, who may start to decline after next year.

and the club is also willing to invest a substantial amount in Nrown, $600k is a decent offer......so it’s not like the club doesn’t rate him.

Glad the club isn’t willing to make stupid offers any more....having some decent juniors and some younger players like Papa and Marata means we aren’t desperate......

Incorrect

Coach
and the club is also willing to invest a substantial amount in Nrown, $600k is a decent offer......so it’s not like the club doesn’t rate him.

Glad the club isn’t willing to make stupid offers any more....having some decent juniors and some younger players like Papa and Marata means we aren’t desperate......
Yep, while I posted that I think he would be a big loss and I would rather hold on to him ahead of Matterson if push came to shove, I would not be offering more than what we have so far. It sounds more like length of contract is the sticking point. Whatever he signs for now for the next 2 years, he's likely going to be taking pay cut for his next contract as he'll be on the wrong side of 30. So his manager is obviously hoping to get a 3rd year locked in now for the same sort of the money as 2022/2023.

And again, players and managers need to get it in their heads that the salary cap is going to be less for the next few years than it was 2 years ago, there simply isn't as much pie to go around as there was. They need to re-set their expectations

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
$600K is serious cash, how he thinks he is worth more than that I really dont know

he's no Trbojevic (Jake)
Manly have f**ked their roster by overpaying the Brothers and Cherry Evans (plus Walker and Tapau) to the point where they had to let their best player AFB go. Paying over to a player in a position they already have covered is madness. As good as we think he his, how is Brown going to solve any of their problems. I think he stays and this is nothing more than a manager trying it on.

Delboy

First Grade
Nathan is the first negotiation by the new player manager team after Isaac Moses was suspended, obviously going to play hardball and with the former head of junior recruitment in that team , there maybe something they want to prove,

No fan of MON, but can’t criticise this, there is a roster to manage and a value to achieve it.