What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Jarryd Hayne sexual assault trials

I didn't sit on the jury. I didn't hear all the evidence and testimony in court. The fact that the jury who did found him guilty after hearing it all, and weighing it all up, I see no reason to go against their findings. Whilst it may not be perfect, I have faith in our legal system. Hayne was found guilty. What happened in the first trial is immaterial.

His appeal? That will be dealt with if and when it occurs. Just because he has lodged an appeal does not necessarily mean that: (a) He will be given leave to appeal; nor (b) that it will reverse the verdict.

I'm not going to enter into a debate about what has been said in public, what is on the net, what has been reported by the media about this case as that is not where trials are conducted.

SBD82

Coach
I didn't sit on the jury. I didn't hear all the evidence and testimony in court. The fact that the jury who did found him guilty after hearing it all, and weighing it all up, I see no reason to go against their findings. Whilst it may not be perfect, I have faith in our legal system. Hayne was found guilty. What happened in the first trial is immaterial.

His appeal? That will be dealt with if and when it occurs. Just because he has lodged an appeal does not necessarily mean that: (a) He will be given leave to appeal; nor (b) that it will reverse the verdict.

I'm not going to enter into a debate about what has been said in public, what is on the net, what has been reported by the media about this case as that is not where trials are conducted.
Well said. And while I aspire to this way of dealing with it, I can’t help getting baited by opinions that I find despicable.

I apologise to all of you for my part in this shitshow.

Reflector

Juniors

hahahahahahahahaha

you are literally the definition of an incel.

At the risk of making light of a serious topic, reading his comment back, it does sound like one of those things Jay on 'Inbetweeners' would state as a warning to Will just before he caught up with some girl who wanted to sleep with him:

"Oy Will- remember mate, don't give 'er ruff sex if she wants it. If a girl wants rough sex it means she might use it against you tomorrow if you were well rubbish and claim rape."

(Will): "That has literally never happened."

Jay: "Yes it has- happened to this guy I knew from trials at West Ham and he's getting bummed in prison to this day!"

Well said. And while I aspire to this way of dealing with it, I can’t help getting baited by opinions that I find despicable.

I apologise to all of you for my part in this shitshow.
Differing viewpoints aren't despicable. I just don't think the courts are able to reach the correct verdict 100% of the time, so I tell people to avoid any situation that could lead to them sitting in one, because, there's a chance the 12 jurors will get it wrong.

It's best to avoid trouble where possible.

Kilkenny

Coach

You are correct in respect of any appeal. He can seek leave to appeal on legal grounds such as decisions made by the presiding judge, directions given to the jury, allowing certain evidence which was shouldn’t have been admitted into evidence. The Court of Appeal generally don’t reverse a verdict, they quash the conviction and it would then be up to the DPP to decide to try the matter again. Hayne will have to have significant legal grounds on which to be given leave to appeal, it is not a simple case of his maintaining his innocence it is well beyond that point now.

Kilkenny

Coach
Some on here previously questioned the evidence and supposed lack of corroborating evidence.

The fact the accused offered to give sworn evidence in his own defence, given defence counsel more often than not discourage the accused from allowing themselves to be subjected to cross examination, is indicative of the fact he basically had little alternative in an effort to prove his innocence. In simple terms the evidence put forward by the Crown was going to be sufficient to satisfy a jury beyond reasonable doubt of his guilt. From the snippets provided by the reporting media it would appear the accused did not do himself any favours in the witness box.

At the end of the day, this matter may not yet be finalised and the Criminal Court of Appeal may well have a say on the outcome of these proceedings.

Last Week

Bench
Some on here previously questioned the evidence and supposed lack of corroborating evidence.

The fact the accused offered to give sworn evidence in his own defence, given defence counsel more often than not discourage the accused from allowing themselves to be subjected to cross examination, is indicative of the fact he basically had little alternative in an effort to prove his innocence. In simple terms the evidence put forward by the Crown was going to be sufficient to satisfy a jury beyond reasonable doubt of his guilt. From the snippets provided by the reporting media it would appear the accused did not do himself any favours in the witness box.

At the end of the day, this matter may not yet be finalised and the Criminal Court of Appeal may well have a say on the outcome of these proceedings.

It's clear though that no matter what happens, people will still think Hayne is innocent because 'men have no rights' and 'a woman on twitter lied once years ago'.

Kilkenny

Coach
It's clear though that no matter what happens, people will still think Hayne is innocent because 'men have no rights' and 'a woman on twitter lied once years ago'.

I don’t begrudge anyone having opinion that Jarryd Hayne is innocent or an opinion perhaps there wasn’t enough evidence to convict.

Some of those who posted have gone above and beyond what is reasonable in the circumstances and d the portrayal of the victim by some has been rather disgusting. Totally without substance and not been privy to all of the evidence which was available to the jury.

It is what it is,

blaza88z

Coach
Sad way for a career to end, Hayne was once the best player in our game. Only for a short period but none the less, innocent until proven guilty and all that but it's not looking good.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Would be rapist convicted.

Hope he gets the maximum.

Others seem want to stone a girl a death for saying no.

I am in the right country.

Thankyou NSW justice system.

Stay away from my daugther would be rapists.

Latest posts