What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Fifita

Maddragon99

Juniors
Question: if cronulla pay 50% to get him off their books, does that remove any cap cost moving forward for them?
We only take on our portion of his salary we’re paying against our cap the remainder stays with Cronulla.

I guess I can live with a remainder of 2021 deal but anything else makes no sense, Hook’s policy upto this point has been younger guys he can develop. Fifita is 31 & well past his best. He’s better off going to the super league

slippery5

Juniors
My brother is a mad Sharks fan, reckons for all his faults Fifita is actually a staunch club man and excellent with young blokes.
I don’t like him all that much either but reckon he’d lift our chances at winning games of football. I can get past his dickheadiness (is that a word?)

SnowDragon

Juniors
We only take on our portion of his salary we’re paying against our cap the remainder stays with Cronulla.

I guess I can live with a remainder of 2021 deal but anything else makes no sense, Hook’s policy upto this point has been younger guys he can develop. Fifita is 31 & well past his best. He’s better off going to the super league

hej, somebody answered my question in part. :)

and to clarify, even though cronulla are paying him out, that doesn’t go against their cap right?

Shaun_Timmins

Juniors
Griffin denies Fifita talk as Hunt says Shark would be ‘good addition’ for Dragons

By Adam Pengilly
March 25, 2021 — 7.45pm

Anthony Griffin has denied speaking to Andrew Fifita when the Dragons and Sharks met in the opening round of the NRL season as Ben Hunt threw his support behind the club if they opted to pursue the out-of-favour forward.

St George Illawarra coach Griffin has pledged to be patient in the player market as the Dragons pursue another middle forward, but was coy on the details about the club’s interest in Fifita.

Fifita hasn’t been included in John Morris’ top 17 at the Sharks for the third straight week, prompting speculation he would be open to a switch to Cronulla’s arch rivals to revive his NRL career. He still has another year on his Sharks deal beyond 2021.

Asked whether he spoke to Fifita before Cronulla beat the Dragons at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium a fortnight ago, Griffin said: “He didn’t speak to me.

“Every time someone gets unhappy they’re coming here. We want players to come here and play and we need to improve our identity and attraction to other players. We’ve got a really good signing in [Cowboys prop] Frank Molo, which will be for next year.

“That type of [speculation] is going to come up all the time.

“The market is still moving and you’d be surprised how many people that are on the market, even though they’re under contract. But we’ll be patient and make sure whoever we bring in is in the best interests of our team, our club and our culture.”

But the potential move has been strongly endorsed by Griffin’s captain Hunt, who wound back the clock to produce one of his best performances in the Red V during the Dragons’ upset win over North Queensland last week.

“I see it as a pretty good addition for the club if that’s the route they want to take,” Hunt said. “I think he adds something a bit different to us. He’s big, mobile and has a great offload that can create second phase play. With how fast the game is at the moment I think that’s something that could help us.”

The Dragons still have two spots left on their roster and will be monitoring Fifita when he turns up for Newtown in their NSW Cup clash against Parramatta on Saturday.

Griffin insisted he hasn’t been satisfied with his team’s performance in their opening two matches despite a wave of optimism sweeping over the club following a gutsy win against the Cowboys.

The Dragons defended resolutely in the final quarter to seal a 25-18 win and can make it back-to-back wins for the first time since August last year if they beat the winless Sea Eagles at WIN Stadium on Friday night.

Having worn his fair share of criticism since arriving at the Dragons, Hunt has now watched his Queensland teammate and Manly No.7 Daly Cherry-Evans in the gun for his slow start to the season. And he was quick to leap to the defence of his school football rival.

“I don’t think you can throw him under the bus because of those two losses,” Hunt said. “He’s a very hungry player and I think he leads their team really well.

“We’ve known each other for a long time and there’s always been a bit of a rivalry there, but away from footy I’m good mates with ‘Chez’. We catch up a fair bit and I enjoy playing against him.”

Said Griffin: “They’ve got the Australian halfback who has had some questions asked about him this week, he’ll be at his best.

“Knowing Manly and the way they’re coached, they’re at their best when their backs are against the wall, so to speak. I’m not happy with what we’ve done the last two weeks regardless of the win, we’ve got an enormous amount of improvement in us.”

Cherry-Evans was on Thursday named as Cameron Smith’s replacement as the general president of the Rugby League Players Association.

“I’m looking to help out the team at the RLPA and voice any matters that the players feel they need to get across,” Cherry-Evans said. “The RLPA has certainly grown a lot in recent times but I still think the best work is ahead for us.”

Manly have lost their last seven clashes against the Dragons at WIN Stadium stretching back to 2005.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/gr...ood-addition-for-dragons-20210325-p57e2t.html

possm

Coach
It’s pretty simple mate.... whatever Sharks contribute to the deal is part of our cap..... whatever you contribute is part of yours.
The likely scenario is because the Sharks have already paid about half of this seasons salary to Fifita (about 400k). In addition a termination fee of say 100k may also be paid by Cronulla to Fifita in order to reach a deal with the Dragons. So, under this deal, 500k would be deducted from the 2021 Cronulla salary cap.

A new contract for 1 and a half seasons would also, at the same time, be struck between the Dragons and Fifita for the rest of season 2021 and all of season 2022. This will come out of the 2021 and 2022 Dragons salary cap. The Dragons may strike a deal with Fifita which fits within the Dragons salary cap projections e.g. front ending Fifitas payments for 2021 and paying less in 2022.

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
The likely scenario is because the Sharks have already paid about half of this seasons salary to Fifita, a termination fee of say 100k may also be paid by Cronulla to to reach a deal with the Dragons. Half of the salary for 2021 has already been paid by Cronulla - 400k. So, under this scenario 500k will be the total reduction to Cronulla salary cap.
o7x1oEZ.gif

Gareth67

First Grade
Well Griffin’s comments about signing Fifita basically puts that rumor to bed , yet again he has said that he wants players “ that are best suited to our team , club and culture “ .

Let’s save our money for a younger talented bull , as I am sure that Griffin and his associates will be able to add the finishing touches to such a player .

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
Well Griffin’s comments about signing Fifita basically puts that rumor to bed , yet again he has said that he wants players “ that are best suited to our team , club and culture “ .

Let’s save our money for another , younger talented bull , as I am sure that Griffin and his associates will be able to add the finishing touches to .
We want players that will fit in with our club and culture. We want the intimidating and bold type with no dickhead attitude and play for the team. Fifita was a brute and gave us hell in a few games, but Hook can see that his presence would have an adverse affect on the squad.

There has to be a couple of tough guys with those characteristics and I'm sure that Hook has his eye on them and ready to pounce. The beginning of May this year we will know where we stand with JDB and subject to his outcome, we will have plans in place to cover contingencies and to me it is good that we are not panic buying.

TruSaint

Referee

Let’s save our money for another , younger talented bull , as I am sure that Griffin and his associates will be able to add the finishing touches to .

Gaz, did he make that statement above re Fifita ?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
No doubt Fifita has some serious off field issues in the past, has he mellowed?
Talk is that he is a very good clubman who asists younger players without hesitation.
Would he fit our culture that Hook is attempting to build? He obviously has some understanding of the man with the association with the Tongan team. So he'd know his character.

Somehow I just keep hearing that old Jim Reeves song in my head........

Illusion

Bench
Is it a gamble probably yes ..... Would I take the chance knowing Hook's involved ..... Then yes I would take the chance ...... Taking him under Hook is not a problem for me its more do his knee's hold up for a couple of more years ? This is more likely why he has lost weight so his knee's can hold him up a bit longer ( Doc's orders maybe )

TruSaint

Referee
Is it a gamble probably yes ..... Would I take the chance knowing Hook's involved ..... Then yes I would take the chance ...... Taking him under Hook is not a problem for me its more do his knee's hold up for a couple of more years ? This is more likely why he has lost weight so his knee's can hold him up a bit longer ( Doc's orders maybe )

As an impact player, subsidised by the Sharks, yes its a win for us.

Gareth67

First Grade
Gaz, did he make that statement above re Fifita ?

He was answering questions about the likelihood of signing the man , although he did not actually mentioned Fifita’s name in that context .

So he could had very well had been generalizing about the type of player that he would prefer at the Dragons .

In which case he could be taking a leaf out off Bennett’s book by denying that he is interested in a player , just before he jumps into a cab and goes to pick him up .

Last edited:

Latest posts