What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

Runner

Juniors
I've heard that Nathen Brown, 28 yrs old, wants a 3 year deal at 600k per year. Fox News reports that Parramatta has withdrawn their offer for 2 yrs at 600k per season. Is Brown a good fit to replace Frizell? Has some mongrel and seems to play with a lot of vigour.

Nathan Brown (rugby league, born 1993) - Wikipedia
NRL 2021: Eels pull offer to Nathan Brown, Parramatta, contract, future | Fox Sports

I heard Manly were after Nathan Brown. We apparently denied that we were chasing him.

Dragon David

First Grade
Wouldn’t look good making a play for Brown after making a fuss denying any interest publicly.
I'm thinking the same. Going for Fifita and keeping Fui at lock until we know one way or another about De Belin is how I see it. Fifita needs a change of scenery at this time of his career. He won a grand final with the Sharks and now appears to be out of favour there. He has helped beat Australia when he played for Tonga with Hook being the coach. Hook can then also look at a few other big Tongans who might be worth chasing a bit further down the track. He definitely knows that bringing in more hardened bigger men for the engine room is the key for our future success.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I'm thinking the same. Going for Fifita and keeping Fui at lock until we know one way or another about De Belin is how I see it. Fifita needs a change of scenery at this time of his career. He won a grand final with the Sharks and now appears to be out of favour there. He has helped beat Australia when he played for Tonga with Hook being the coach. Hook can then also look at a few other big Tongans who might be worth chasing a bit further down the track. He definitely knows that bringing in more hardened bigger men for the engine room is the key for our future success.
See your perspective, a bit of a Tonga pathway..

possm

Coach
Brown is a Lock/Prop not a 2nd rower. Not sure he’d be worth $600k surely we’re better off spending the money on a gun 2nd rower.
Yes, if that is true then we do have plenty of middle forwards now. So Creighton has to be our man.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Yes, if that is true then we do have plenty of middle forwards now. So Creighton has to be our man.
We’re currently playing with a team of;

5 Props (Vaughan, Lawrie, Alvaro, Kerr & Faamausili)
1 2nd rower (Sims)
2 Locks (Fuimaono Merrin)

Plus another prop Francis Molo in 2022. You don’t need to be a super coach to see our deficiencies are at 2nd row. I like Brown he plays tough but I’m just not seeing where he fits.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
We’re currently playing with a team of;

5 Props (Vaughan, Lawrie, Alvaro, Kerr & Faamausili)
1 2nd rower (Sims)
2 Locks (Fuimaono Merrin)

Plus another prop Francis Molo in 2022. You don’t need to be a super coach to see our deficiencies are at 2nd row. I like Brown he plays tough but I’m just not seeing where he fits.
It’s a problem I’d like to have.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I don't think Brown is the type of player Hook will be looking at. No doubt he has talent, however, I don't think he fits the mantra our Coach is looking for.

I still hope we are talking with Brandon Smith as I feel he is the type of player we should target as both a hooker and a lock. With the signing of Macca, the original plan was McInnes to lock and he would cover hooker if Macca couldn't see out the distance or was injured, with a lock type forward on the bench ie Fui, Merrin or Ford. With that plan out the window, and a big "what if" hanging over Macca, who is currently our back-up hooker?

As for props, I'm not sure about Merrin being signed on past this year and the same goes with Ellis although I do see some benefit in keeping him on a yearly basis. Blacker is only 21 and has a lot to learn. The ambassador role recently appointed to Jamma may prove beneficial to Blacker as would the signing of Fifita. Whatever you think of him outside of football, apparently he's a terrific mentor and club man, which of course suits the mantra Hook is after. Lastly, don't forget Jayden Hunt, who I feel is more advanced than Blacker and is under observation as he shows his work in KOE Cup over the next few rounds. I can't see any more value discussing DeBelin other than we'll know in a month where we stand.

Maddragon99

Juniors
I don't think Brown is the type of player Hook will be looking at. No doubt he has talent, however, I don't think he fits the mantra our Coach is looking for.

I still hope we are talking with Brandon Smith as I feel he is the type of player we should target as both a hooker and a lock. With the signing of Macca, the original plan was McInnes to lock and he would cover hooker if Macca couldn't see out the distance or was injured, with a lock type forward on the bench ie Fui, Merrin or Ford. With that plan out the window, and a big "what if" hanging over Macca, who is currently our back-up hooker?

As for props, I'm not sure about Merrin being signed on past this year and the same goes with Ellis although I do see some benefit in keeping him on a yearly basis. Blacker is only 21 and has a lot to learn. The ambassador role recently appointed to Jamma may prove beneficial to Blacker as would the signing of Fifita. Whatever you think of him outside of football, apparently he's a terrific mentor and club man, which of course suits the mantra Hook is after. Lastly, don't forget Jayden Hunt, who I feel is more advanced than Blacker and is under observation as he shows his work in KOE Cup over the next few rounds. I can't see any more value discussing DeBelin other than we'll know in a month where we stand.
For me Brandon Smith is unwanted at the price he’ll demand. McCullough has been great so far, cruising the stats he’s 4th in tackles made & his service from dummy half is first rate. I think McCullough will do until the next young gun comes through.

With Molo already on the way Nathan Brown is not required.

Merrin will likely retire at seasons end or may stay for one more year on a reduced contract.

Fuimaono has been the biggest improver under Hook & at 25 he’ll be playing Lock for the next few years.

Agree re de Belin he’ll need to work his way back via the reggies & forward rotation probably ending up on the right edge.

Im still not feeling the excitement about Fifita. He played one great Origin game 5yrs ago & that’s about it.

LINESPEED

Juniors
He has helped beat Australia when he played for Tonga with Hook being the coach. Hook can then also look at a few other big Tongans who might be worth chasing a bit further down the track. He definitely knows that bringing in more hardened bigger men for the engine room is the key for our future success.

Great point DD.

There’s DNA between them for sure

SnowDragon

Juniors
A mate tells me we may be interested in Marty Kapow

he is unhappy thatManly have supposedly told him they won’t renew his contract after it ends at the end of 2022.

anyone know anything?