What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Jane Murray

Bench
He should apologise to Matt. They talk about doing what’s best for him but all they did was put him in an awkward situation.
Cancelling his contract would be fantastic. Judging by the interview, on Channel 9, to me it seems like that Matt is having second thoughts? Hopefully, he has a clause which states if Barrett is no longer the coach, he can leave.

betcats

Referee
Cancelling his contract would be fantastic. Judging by the interview, on Channel 9, to me it seems like that Matt is having second thoughts? Hopefully, he has a clause which states if Barrett is no longer the coach, he can leave.

I haven’t seen it but if he wasn’t having second thoughts on Friday he must be after watching the dogs yesterday

Edit: also laundy is just the sponsor he can’t cancel anything

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
If things don’t improve at the dogs fast there is going to be a lot of pressure on Barrett and the players, the young halves in particular as they aren’t scoring much. Plenty of talented players careers have been badly effected by going to a shit team. Besides the financial aspect it’s really hard for me to see going to the dogs as a good career move for a young half. Burton would be in demand if he tried to back out and plenty of clubs would be willing to try and negotiate a release with the dogs for him. The dogs should be worried.

panthersam

Juniors
We’ve seen how petty the Dogs can be trying to get him to the club, I’m sure they would be just as petty if Burton wanted to back out and break the legal contract they have with him. Can’t see it happening, he will be at the Dogs in 2021.

betcats

Referee
We’ve seen how petty the Dogs can be trying to get him to the club, I’m sure they would be just as petty if Burton wanted to back out and break the legal contract they have with him. Can’t see it happening, he will be at the Dogs in 2021.

Of course they can, it’s always a negotiation but it just becomes a really bad look in that case, you got an unhappy player who’s not even there yet. I’m not saying it’s going to happen Burton seems like too good of a kid but the dogs still should be worried I think, how could anyone not have second thoughts about going to start their career at that rabble.

If Burton went to a club that was middle of the table range he’s good enough to improve them probably and if things go well play finals and push for rep selection after a year. But at the dogs as they are currently he’d just be showing off his long kicking game most of the time.

maple_69

Bench
B Smith and a couple prudent (not $800K) middle signings would make a big difference next year. Add to that a long kicking game and I think they’d be fringe top 8.

betcats

Referee
B Smith and a couple prudent (not $800K) middle signings would make a big difference next year. Add to that a long kicking game and I think they’d be fringe top 8.

Brent read is saying today that B Smith is staying in Melbourne and the dogs and titans are now both chasing the same Pommy hooker. Dogs are paying overs to get anyone there, as long as they aren’t improving on the field they will be paying overs. No easy fix as Barrett said, it’s going to take a couple years at least.

maple_69

Bench
Yeah they need to take some swings at young guys with potential or guys who might need a change of scenery to get back to their best if they want value.

We’re so bloody lucky to be able to pick and choose from the best talent after watching it first hand for several years.

Crashtest

Juniors
The SMH reporting the Tigers have made enquiries about getting Naden for this season.

Hopefully we have told them to piss off. We need him in the squad, especially now Edwards is injured. Plus it says he is on $200k, and we won’t find anyone better than him for that money

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/li...rts-over-bellamy-bashing-20210328-p57eo9.html

Tigers eye Naden
The Wests Tigers have reached out to the Penrith Panthers about the possibility of acquiring Brent Naden's services this season.

Naden still has one more week to run on his four-week team-imposed ban after testing positive to cocaine following last year's grand final, however his road back to the NRL remains unclear at the high-flying Panthers.

It's understood Paul Momirovski will hang on to the centre position when Naden's sanction comes to an end after round four, leaving the $200,000 outside back facing the prospect of a lengthy stint in reserve grade.

The Panthers also have Tyrone May, Robert Jennings and Matt Burton as potential centre options. However, the injury to fullback Dylan Edwards may force a backline reshuffle that opens the door for Naden to play NRL in the coming weeks.

Naden is off contract at the end of the year and the Tigers are willing to offer him another season on top of his current deal. At this stage the Panthers are reluctant to let him go.

Michael Maguire has a spot up for grabs in the centres after dropping the out-of-form Joseph Leilua following a disappointing first two rounds. Naden would also provide cover at wing and fullback.