What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 3 vs Wests Tigers @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Who will win? Round 3: Newcastle v Wests Tigers

• Wests Tigers 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wests Tigers 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jono078

Referee
I reckon if we had the Nathan Brown gameplan in this one we would have won. The errors killed us and we built no rhythm at all.

Disappointing. Despite all the errors Dan and Frizell get us back in front with inspiring charges and we blow it.

Nothing to blame but errors. Even defence was reasonable but hard to keep teams out when you drop the ball 18 time.

Forwards will be filthy

perverse

Referee
18 errors to 8. You don't win any game in the NRL with that count. If we matched them on errors, we win comfortably even at half mast. Hell, we only lost by 2 kicks at goal when Shibs was playing for them.

aqua_duck

Coach
Can't wait for Obrien's post conference.

I'm disappointed but I knew all week this was coming.
Yep, all the beating off about Pearce's 300th from the outside looking in it seemed like they treated the game as a celebration rather than a contest. When your completion rate is 68% you won't beat many teams. Feels for Shibasaki but he needs to never play on the wing again, and probably needs a good few months to get his confidence back up, that was painful to watch.

Jono078

Referee
18 errors to 8. You don't win any game in the NRL with that count. If we matched them on errors, we win comfortably even at half mast. Hell, we only lost by 2 kicks at goal when Shibs was playing for them.
I'm pretty sure the Hoy uncontested balls dont count as errors but that was a big as an error we had today, so add it to the tally.

perverse

Referee
I'm pretty sure the Hoy uncontested balls dont count as errors but that was a big as an error we had today, so add it to the tally.
Hoy was the second worst for sure, but he at least had a few contributions and got in there and tried. I can't say a single nice thing about Shibasaki.

Jono078

Referee
Yep, all the beating off about Pearce's 300th from the outside looking in it seemed like they treated the game as a celebration rather than a contest. When your completion rate is 68% you won't beat many teams. Feels for Shibasaki but he needs to never play on the wing again, and probably needs a good few months to get his confidence back up, that was painful to watch.
The only thing I'll add is the effort across the board was really solid. All of our backs were average at best.

Happy with the effort but we really killed ourselves.

Positives are we have lots of troops to come back and this can be yet another building block to where we want to go.

Huge game next week against the Dragons - which I EXPECT to win, which means it's dangerous as hell and who knows - they are our biggest bogie team!

It all came down to errors for me and that was mostly the backs in Hoy and Shib.
Young has a long way to go to be a regular first grader.
A lot of demand on Shib. He was over to the right to make up for Young under the high ball.
We'll need at least two out of three of these guys in the coming weeks. Not good.

Barnett and JSaf injury concerns.

I reckon we should have tried to roll it up the middle more but our errors killed our game.

Johns Magic

Referee
Has Shibs ever been a winger before ? By all means say he’s not suited to the high ball, but I don’t think it’s fair to have a go at his efforts.

The players tried. Hoy definitely tried and did some good things that we’ve been asking of him.

Disappointing of course but I can live with this one more than others in the past.

K-Man

Bench
What's extra worrying is that results like this don't galvanise our team, they break our confidence. Highly likely we compound the loss with another against the Dragons. Mentally the team remains fragile, it's a shame but it's the reality.

Alex28

Coach
Highlights how important Best is for us.

Best and Toa out there today - at least 2 tries less. We win.

Shibasaki must be marked never to play first grade again. The lack of effort and courage under the high ball isn’t good enough for the NRL.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Such a disappointing game where we didn’t even give ourselves a chance.
Errors killed us and we were lucky enough to grab the lead only to throw the win away with more errors.
I had slim hope of a mentality change after the win last week, but this just shows we have a long way to go in that regard still.