What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

T-Boon

Coach
broncos & swans are about the same & have been for a while , except the broncos are utter shit atm.
& comparing 2 teams in 2 different codes in 2 different cities is pointless.

Swans are on the decline
they only got 23K last saturday & TV ratings are diving

the midgets are borderline irrelevant

I hope you are right about that, but I suspect the AFL will do everything they can to keep them big.

However comparing the Swans crowds and the Broncos crowds is totally relevant because Sydney NRL fans like to try to say the only reason the Swans get bigger crowds than NRL is they are a one team town but so are the Broncos in Brisbane which is supposedly a RL mad city.

I think one of the reasons AFL gets bigger crowds are that their fans are more passionate about the sport than RL fans andanother one is the clubs/AFL work a lot harder to get crowds.

Game_Breaker

Coach
I hope you are right about that, but I suspect the AFL will do everything they can to keep them big.

However comparing the Swans crowds and the Broncos crowds is totally relevant because Sydney NRL fans like to try to say the only reason the Swans get bigger crowds than NRL is they are a one team town but so are the Broncos in Brisbane which is supposedly a RL mad city.

I think one of the reasons AFL gets bigger crowds are that their fans are more passionate about the sport than RL fans andanother one is the clubs/AFL work a lot harder to get crowds.

It would make more sense to compare Brisbane Lions to the donkeys

magpie_man

Juniors
There is no sense in comparing AFL and NRL crowds at all, they are completely different animals.
The AFL is an outlier, their crowd averages are a phenomenon which would smash just about any sporting league in the world when stacked up against each other per capita.
As already mentioned, kids from the AFL states get an AFL jab along with their Vitamin K straight out of the womb; it's a level of fanaticism has to be seen to be believed and they'll jettison their zealotry into the NRL states if that's where they end up dropping anchor.
All the hand-wringing when comparing crowd sizes would be a bit like them bemoaning the fact that rugby league has an international representative element to it which they don't - it's just an exercise in frustration and futility.

Jamberoo

Juniors
That’s just a self fulfilling prophecy! Not to mention stadiums should be built for the next 30-40 years of growth, not where we are at today. As the number one sport in its markets there is no reason nrl games couldn’t be drawing 25k crowds regularly with some effort put in.
PR, there is unlikely to be growth in crowds. Sports crowds were declining across the nation pre-COVID. It is a miracle RL crowds have been able to hold steady. Most population growth in Sydney and Melbourne is via immigration from Asia and Africa and so far these immigrants don't seem to be packing out RL games.

17.5K is perfect. What if crowds don't recover post-COVID and the 15K average crowd become 12K? Much better to keep stadiums small and pack them out. This creates demand, which leads to more profitable stadiums and clubs. The two most profitable (per match) stadiums in Australia are Optus in Perth and Geelong - stadiums where supply is often greater than demand. It is certainly not ANZ or MCG.

And thank god Moore Park will be 42.5K not bigger. 30K would have been better, but 50k+ would be a disaster.

Steel Saints

Juniors
There is no sense in comparing AFL and NRL crowds at all, they are completely different animals.
The AFL is an outlier, their crowd averages are a phenomenon which would smash just about any sporting league in the world when stacked up against each other per capita.
As already mentioned, kids from the AFL states get an AFL jab along with their Vitamin K straight out of the womb; it's a level of fanaticism has to be seen to be believed and they'll jettison their zealotry into the NRL states if that's where they end up dropping anchor.
All the hand-wringing when comparing crowd sizes would be a bit like them bemoaning the fact that rugby league has an international representative element to it which they don't - it's just an exercise in frustration and futility.

What people forget is many of Melbourne's AFL teams are closely bunched together. The old home grounds of Collingwood, Carlton, and N.Melbourne are roughly 5 km away from the MCG while Richmonds home base is next to the MCG. That's probably why the AFL adopted a two stadium policy in Melbourne.

Compare that with Penrith to Moore Park, it's an hours drive. Sydney's NRL teams are located far and wide by comparison.

mongoose

Coach
I remember staying in Sydney CBD once when a Swans game was on. The hotel was full of Swans fans I wondered why they were staying in a hotel? then it hit me. They're all Melbourne based. They must have been playing Hawthorne cause I saw tones of people with hawthorne gear on around the city and central station.

Point is the Swans must get so many visitors from interstate to come to games.

Frailty

First Grade
I remember staying in Sydney CBD once when a Swans game was on. The hotel was full of Swans fans I wondered why they were staying in a hotel? then it hit me. They're all Melbourne based. They must have been playing Hawthorne cause I saw tones of people with hawthorne gear on around the city and central station.

Possible because their spiritual home is South Melbourne.

T-Boon

Coach

Yep their fans travel. They are far more passionate about their teams overall.

What people forget is many of Melbourne's AFL teams are closely bunched together. The old home grounds of Collingwood, Carlton, and N.Melbourne are roughly 5 km away from the MCG while Richmonds home base is next to the MCG. That's probably why the AFL adopted a two stadium policy in Melbourne.

Compare that with Penrith to Moore Park, it's an hours drive. Sydney's NRL teams are located far and wide by comparison.
AFL fans come from all over melbourne & rarely live in the tiny districts named after their clubs

NRL fans of the clubs named after districts are far more likely to live in Penrith , Parramatta or Manly . then AFL fans are in Richmond Collingwood or Hawthorn

The Great Dane

First Grade
They SHOULD dominate Brisbane. But that is very difficult to saying that they NEED TO...
If they put any effort in they would dominate it as well.

The Broncos have gotten way too comfortable in the last 15 or so years, and it's made them complacent.

flippikat

Bench
It's more likely that Brisbane 2 comes in, the Broncos underestimate them until 2 starts outcompeting them in some tangible way, and then the Broncos shit themselves.

To be honest on the Broncos current form, if they don't improve by 2023 it'll be easy for the 2nd Brisbane team to out-compete them from week 1.

The clock is ticking....

Quicksilver

Bench
Exactly. The bar to be the “biggest in the NRL” is just to be better than the Sydney clubs.

a very low bar.

Bring in Bris2 and watch the Broncos shit themselves

They might be worried Initially but they’ll probably turn out to be The South Queensland Crushers 2.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
To many people in brisbane the broncos are just a corporate entity fed by unlikeable stockbrokers and controlled by a ghastly media empire.

Brisbane 2 will become extremely popular. The Dolphins are already pretty rich so they can take the broncos on well.

Latest posts