What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New North American Competition?

siv

First Grade
I hope this is the catalyst to grow the professional game in that region

yakstorm

First Grade
So it's almost certain that some type of new North American Semi Professional competition will be announced on April 1 (US).

Number of teams seems to vary depending what source you listen to, but it looks like there will definitely be a team from:
  • New York
  • Ottawa
  • Toronto
  • Washington DC
  • Cleveland
Boston, Brooklyn, Atlanta have all been linked in some way and are helping promote the launch date.

Rick Wilby and the backers of the NYC L1 team appears to be underwriting it and Eric Perez has been linked, but not confirmed.

Central funding is said to be $300K.

juro

Bench
So it's almost certain that some type of new North American Semi Professional competition will be announced on April 1 (US).

Number of teams seems to vary depending what source you listen to, but it looks like there will definitely be a team from:
  • New York
  • Ottawa
  • Toronto
  • Washington DC
  • Cleveland
Boston, Brooklyn, Atlanta have all been linked in some way and are helping promote the launch date.

Rick Wilby and the backers of the NYC L1 team appears to be underwriting it and Eric Perez has been linked, but not confirmed.

1 April doesn't give me a lot of confidence in this...

adamkungl

Immortal

• New York
  • Ottawa
  • Toronto
  • Washington DC
  • Cleveland

$300,000 per team will be more semi than pro. But that's fine. Any new venture like this can't fall into the trap of spending most of its cash on player salaries. A lot will depend on the ownership structure. Have they found 8 Perez's to finance teams?

They need to make it *look* like a professional league, more than they need the players to be fully professional.
Nice boutique stadiums. A quality broadcast. Marketing, marketing, marketing.
A good format - the 8 week USARL simply does not cut it, and likely nor will the 9-a-side Canada proposal.

A big question will be the USARL reaction. I wouldn't be surprised to see them hold their ground and try to protect their patch. There isn't enough player depth in the US for the 2 parties to fight. If the USARL decides to fight against money, they won't win. If this thing takes off, they need get on board and reorganise the amateur comp as a second tier.

Last edited:

Sjrugby

Juniors
I think financially starting small is absolutely the best way to go about it especially since now they will be fighting uphill battle with not just Union being the predominantly played rugby code in North America but with the mlr now having four seasons head start on them. There's absolutely no need to sign big-name players right away, don't break the bank. But yes market market advertise like crazy ticket prices reasonable but also there needs to be entertainment aspect to the game quality halftime ,pregame and post game events. Something that'll get fans excited to want to show up versus just being content watching the games on TV or what ever they choose for streaming.

I hope they don't settle on just Facebook live or YouTube but try and get games on ESPN+ for the first few years.

Just me personally but I hope one of these teams is open to being partially publicly owners like the Saskatchewan cfl team, I don't have much money but I'd be open to buying a share or two into Boston or Atlanta club.

Do we want their the be a full fledge professional competition here of course, but until the money is there to bank roll it we need to be smart about this and start small and as the quality of play improves and we as fans continue to show up and prove there is a market for rugby league then this so called competition will grow and become more fully professional. I hope these teams partner up with minor league soccer clubs in establishing some home fields vs playing out of high schools or massive stadiums . A USL or CPL 2-6k seater is a good start.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I find it highly unlikely that there will be any significant interest from broadcasters (maybe in Canada), and even if there is it's unlikely it'll be from one of the major broadcasters which means they'll have a massive uphill battle just to be noticed at all.

Honestly unless they've got a lot more money than it seems lying around to invest in promoting it I doubt it'll survive for very long.

If it was me I'd be trying to contact every major celebrity with any connection to RL at all to be part of the league in some way to help rise it's profile. Contact Rusty, Hugh Jackman, Chis Hemsworth, etc, and try to convince them to be become minority owners in a club and help promote it, stuff like that.

Sjrugby

Juniors
I find it highly unlikely that there will be any significant interest from broadcasters (maybe in Canada), and even if there is it's unlikely it'll be from one of the major broadcasters which means they'll have a massive uphill battle just to be noticed at all.

Honestly unless they've got a lot more money than it seems lying around to invest in promoting it I doubt it'll survive for very long.

If it was me I'd be trying to contact every major celebrity with any connection to RL at all to be part of the league in some way to help rise it's profile. Contact Rusty, Hugh Jackman, Chis Hemsworth, etc, and try to convince them to be become minority owners in a club and help promote it, stuff like that.

That's the other aspect, there's a big number of heavy celebs who are RL fans. There's also a significant amount of filming done in most of these markets listed. They should really go after celebrities in getting their support. Even if not at a ownership level but a simple tweet, or simple mention would do wonders. I suggest maybe one of these clubs send celebrities some merch. Don't ask just send it. Matthew Lewis is a big Leeds fan and talks passionately about the rhinos during interviews.

The Great Dane

First Grade
That's the other aspect, there's a big number of heavy celebs who are RL fans. There's also a significant amount of filming done in most of these markets listed. They should really go after celebrities in getting their support. Even if not at a ownership level but a simple tweet, or simple mention would do wonders. I suggest maybe one of these clubs send celebrities some merch. Don't ask just send it. Matthew Lewis is a big Leeds fan and talks passionately about the rhinos during interviews.
Celebrity endorsement is really the only way I can see the league drawing any national publicity, particularly in the US.

I mean look what the connection to the Rock (and Dany Garcia and Redbird Capital) has done for the XFL and CFL. In no small part due to the Rock's name being connected to them, the XFL went from a league murdered by covid and the CFL went from a dying relic, to everybody being excited about them and a potential merger overnight.

Assuming that it's only a minor role, and they aren't expecting him to invest in the league, I reckon that at the very least Rusty would be willing to hear them out. If you got him onside, then with his connections and friendships in Hollywood, and considering what he's been able to do with the Rabbitohs, he may be able to convince some others to jump onboard as well.

The Great Dane

First Grade
14 is a lot of teams, and supposedly they're getting $300k each in central funding and all their travel paid (though because of covid travel cost won't be great). You've gotta question where the money is coming from, and how long it will be until it will dry up.

Claiming Beinsports Australia as a partner, which seems to mean that it will be broadcast in Australia (though they haven't announced that), but everywhere else will have to stream it through Sports Flick, which frankly isn't a great sign.

It's very interesting anyway.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Toronto Wolfpack and Ottawa Aces to join new Northern American league

Toronto Wolfpack and Ottawa Aces will take part in a new North American professional rugby league competition that has been launched today.

The NARL will be a 14-team competition that will play its first round of games on the weekend of June 19 in Brooklyn and June 20 in Las Vegas.

Teams from across the USA and Canada will compete in three conferences – the East Coast Conference (Atlanta Rhinos, Boston Thirteens, Brooklyn Kings, Cleveland Rugby League, New York Rugby League and Washington Cavalry), the West Coast Conference (Austin Armadillos, Las Vegas Blackjacks, Phoenix Venom, Portland Loggers, San Diego Swell and San Francisco Rush) and due to COVID regulations, a Canada Cup will be played between Toronto Wolfpack and Ottawa Aces before the teams enter the East Coast Conference in 2022.

All games will be broadcast on NARL’s exclusive online streaming partner Sportsflick. Due to COVID regulations in 2021, all games will be played in a single venue that will see all teams in their respective conference play in one stadium on one day with no fans to keep everyone safe.

NARL’s chief operating officer Robert Curtis said: “I’m delighted to introduce the North America Rugby League to rugby league fans around the world in what we firmly believe is the next big evolutionary step for rugby league.

“The NARL is the culmination of years of research and market testing and has been designed to bring you the hardest hitting, fastest and most exciting sport on the planet. Matches begin this summer. It’s time to get excited about a new class of contact sport.

“We see NARL as an addition to the existing rugby league structures in the United States and certainly do not see ourselves as a ‘rival’ or ‘rebel’ league. Our sole aim is to grow the fantastic sport of rugby league in North America and create a legacy for generations to come.”
https://www.loverugbyleague.com/pos...wa-aces-to-join-new-northern-american-league/

adamkungl

Immortal
Arguably the most ambitious project to be launched in RL history.
14 teams is crazy ambitious. But in a way it does suggest confidence in their financial backing.
It gives a true national reach that has a chance of grabbing some attention.
And it means if some teams bomb, it doesn't mean the end of the comp.

It's been quite the week for positive international news!

RedVee

First Grade
Go Boston 13s! Shame the Axemen don’t seem to be onboard.
Did all of these places even have RL even up to recently?

Latest posts