What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 4 Vs Manly

betcats

Referee
Yet they stole a penalty off us at theend of theset to give them a penalty.

Meanwhile the crusher on Brian where play was stopped wasn't penalised. But it was charged.

That is a strange one. I thought they both looked like pretty classic crusher tackles tbh. You'd think if one was a penalty they both are and if one is worth a charge they both are.

Is the charge for the Manly guy a fine or missing some games?

The_Frog

First Grade
I got the idea Ivan was considering the options. He seemed to hint moving Staines was to see how he fit there last night.
There was a possibility he'd use Naden or Jennings once they are available, but then he'd have to drop someone, either Crichton or Burton. But you can't drop either really, it's just disrupting the side. I got the impression he was reasonably satisfied with Crichton's game.

panthersam

Juniors
Shout out to Moses Leota for a huge performance last night. Harder to look good now that Yeo, JFH and Kikau are usually pretty consistent with outstanding performances but damn the man was running like he had to go through a brick wall every time he carried the ball. Thoroughly deserved his try!

Pomoz

Bench
Call me crazy but I’m not changing a thing next week.

Crichton isn’t in the best form but he’s also not at the level some make him out to be. Kids a gun, it’s 4 weeks in, he’ll improve. Leave it be.
Well said, I always give it to Cleary when he gets it wrong (May as a centre? FFS what were you thinking?) but I think he nailed it last night. Crichton tried hard, but he was visibly gassed, which is understandable. It takes a while to build up the fitness to be a FB and Edwards is known to be the fittest player in the team. Crichton gave it a red hot go and considering how inexperienced he is in the position and in first grade in general I thought he did a good job.

Moving Staines into the FB position at the end was a clever move by Cleary, it gave Staines a little taste and it gave Crichton a much needed rest. I would continue with this and experiment with Staines in attack in the roving role of FB, when the game allows it.

The variation it brings to our attack might make it worth doing even when Dylan is back. Let's see what Staines can do because his pace and ball playing might be the difference when trying to in open up the good defences of teams like the Storm.

Papenhausen does this for the Storm really well, chiming in with speed and footwork at crucial times. He also doesn't have the physical prowess to ruck the ball up like Mansour, but he brings skill, speed and vision which can make a real difference to the Storm's attack.

Like all newbies, Staines will struggle with the physicality of first grade at times but he has shown:
  • He has the ticker to handle the physical confrontation. He will take the ball up and get bashed. You can't give a player heart, they either have it or they don't. He has heart. Now he just needs kg's to help him cope;
  • We want him to get stronger but that said, we should stop wishing he was Mansour and expect him to ruck up for 180m every game. He has different strengths and the team's balance is better with a ruck monster like To'o on one side and a speed machine on the other;
  • He has great hands. He passes so well, he will be a great attacking weapon when he gets his physical strength up to the right level. I think that try he set up last night is just a taste of what he can do. I can see why the club believe he will be the next FB, once he has more experience;
  • He reads the game well and comes in off his wing to shut down plays when he sees its needed. At this stage of his career, he already reads the defence better than Mansour did and he can also turn and chase when he gets it wrong, something Mansour struggled to do.
A couple of other points:
  • I was shocked to find that Flanagan was an interesting commentator, offering insights only an ex-coach could bring;
  • Flanagan's man love for Kenny was encouraging. Flanagan knows a tough competitor when he sees one and he thought Kenny was excellent in a difficult role and was "deceptively tough". If he continues with this rate of improvement, it won't be a lay down misere that we resign Api. Kenny might be a better option for our cap management....

The_Frog

First Grade
That is a strange one. I thought they both looked like pretty classic crusher tackles tbh. You'd think if one was a penalty they both are and if one is worth a charge they both are.

Is the charge for the Manly guy a fine or missing some games?
200 points base.

WestyLife

First Grade
Well said, I always give it to Cleary when he gets it wrong (May as a centre? FFS what were you thinking?) but I think he nailed it last night. Crichton tried hard, but he was visibly gassed, which is understandable. It takes a while to build up the fitness to be a FB and Edwards is known to be the fittest player in the team. Crichton gave it a red hot go and considering how inexperienced he is in the position and in first grade in general I thought he did a good job.

Moving Staines into the FB position at the end was a clever move by Cleary, it gave Staines a little taste and it gave Crichton a much needed rest. I would continue with this and experiment with Staines in attack in the roving role of FB, when the game allows it.

The variation it brings to our attack might make it worth doing even when Dylan is back. Let's see what Staines can do because his pace and ball playing might be the difference when trying to in open up the good defences of teams like the Storm.

Papenhausen does this for the Storm really well, chiming in with speed and footwork at crucial times. He also doesn't have the physical prowess to ruck the ball up like Mansour, but he brings skill, speed and vision which can make a real difference to the Storm's attack.

Like all newbies, Staines will struggle with the physicality of first grade at times but he has shown:
  • He has the ticker to handle the physical confrontation. He will take the ball up and get bashed. You can't give a player heart, they either have it or they don't. He has heart. Now he just needs kg's to help him cope;
  • We want him to get stronger but that said, we should stop wishing he was Mansour and expect him to ruck up for 180m every game. He has different strengths and the team's balance is better with a ruck monster like To'o on one side and a speed machine on the other;
  • He has great hands. He passes so well, he will be a great attacking weapon when he gets his physical strength up to the right level. I think that try he set up last night is just a taste of what he can do. I can see why the club believe he will be the next FB, once he has more experience;
  • He reads the game well and comes in off his wing to shut down plays when he sees its needed. At this stage of his career, he already reads the defence better than Mansour did and he can also turn and chase when he gets it wrong, something Mansour struggled to do.
  • I was shocked to find that Flanagan was an interesting commentator, offering insights only an ex-coach could bring;
  • Flanagan's man love for Kenny was encouraging. Flanagan knows a tough competitor when he sees one and he thought Kenny was excellent in a difficult role and was "deceptively tough". If he continues with this rate of improvement, it won't be a lay down misere that we resign Api. Kenny might be a better option for our cap management....

Pretty well said.

betcats

Referee

Good points here. I agree Staines speed chiming into back line plays would really create headaches for defences.

I really enjoy flanno’s commentary as well. Everything he says is easy to understand and it makes sense. Other analysts such as Cronk really get a bit over technical imo.

The_Frog

First Grade
Yet they stole a penalty off us at theend of theset to give them a penalty.

Meanwhile the crusher on Brian where play was stopped wasn't penalised. But it was charged.
At the time of the To'o tackle we were ripping them apart and the score could have been anything. I could be wrong but I don't think the NRL likes huge blowout scores. Annesley even presents stats every week on average game margins, it is clear that lower winning margins are what is being aimed for. So no penalty despite an obvious crusher tackle. The second half one was maybe let go by Checcin as a square up but the bunker pulled it back.

Interesting to see how today's games pan out.

Girds89

Bench
Good points here. I agree Staines speed chiming into back line plays would really create headaches for defences.

I really enjoy flanno’s commentary as well. Everything he says is easy to understand and it makes sense. Other analysts such as Cronk really get a bit over technical imo.

Yep all week I said ivan needed to find more efficient ways to use Charlie. Not sure why we had to wait to the 75th min to see it. No reason why he can't float in field first 4 tackles and play that roll.

It'd be particularly effective when teams are gassed.

Flanno has been a breath of fresh air. Cant stand anasta and co so it's been nice actually listening to someone smart who isnt totally biased.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Yep all week I said ivan needed to find more efficient ways to use Charlie. Not sure why we had to wait to the 75th min to see it. No reason why he can't float in field first 4 tackles and play that roll.

Flanno has been a breath of fresh air. Cant stand anasta and co so it's been nice actually listening to someone smart who is totally biased.
Momirovski passing early clean ball is what's needed most

betcats

Referee

Flanno has been a breath of fresh air. Cant stand anasta and co so it's been nice actually listening to someone smart who isnt totally biased.

Yep you can see why he was able to win a premiership. He just breaks things down really well and I can imagine he was able to get his message across to the players pretty easily.

WestyLife

First Grade
As someone said earlier he would have run away to score in the first half if Momo had drawn the winger.

That was me. Nathan's trick pass put Momirovski in line with the winger. If he runs straight and engages the edge he takes the winger/centre and Staines is in space or half space.

Girds89

Bench
Momirovski passing early clean ball is what's needed most

Agree. I'm struggling to be too critical of momo.

He really tried to get involved last night, took lots of carries and was solid in defence.

From what I've seen so far I just don't think he has what Naden does, at least with the ball in hand.

There's no doubt naden is a much more dangerous ball runner and he can set up his winger.

They way momo is playing he won't get dropped cause he's not doing a whole lot wrong and for the most part has been solid to good.

I just think Naden is the key to unlocking the right side. Our attack certainly wasn't as one sided dominant last year and that had a lot to do with the threat, both in the air and with ball in hand that naden possesses.

The player I've been most impressed with has been eiso. He's made me eat my words and I called him a plodder before a ball was kicked.

Hats off to him, he's been fantastic.

franklin2323

Immortal
That was me. Nathan's trick pass put Momirovski in line with the winger. If he runs straight and engages the edge he takes the winger/centre and Staines is in space or half space.

He marked well in that clip though. Passing it run the risk of being pinging in the corner and getting a poor end to the set. Inside the 10 you pass but further out not so

betcats

Referee

I think there was a chance it pans out that way if he ran like you said but brad Parker is a very good defensive centre he wasn’t beaten yet, I think it could’ve just easily ended up a 2 on 2 down the sideline which probably wouldn’t end up good for us.

WestyLife

First Grade
He marked well in that clip though. Passing it run the risk of being pinging in the corner and getting a poor end to the set. Inside the 10 you pass but further out not so

I think there was a chance it pans out that way if he ran like you said but brad Parker is a very good defensive centre he wasn’t beaten yet, I think it could’ve just easily ended up a 2 on 2 down the sideline which probably wouldn’t end up good for us.

I think it's an issue not realising what he's got outside him yet. If it was another winger you probably don't back them but if you give Staines the half gap and take the centre who's usually the better defender Staines will usually get a result with his extra speed.

The_Frog

First Grade

I was thinking of Momirovski taking the DCE cross kick and taking off downfield with Staines in support. He passed too soon and Charlie was rounded up.

WestyLife

First Grade
I was thinking of Momirovski taking the DCE cross kick and taking off downfield with Staines in support. He passed too soon and Charlie was rounded up.

Ah fair enough. Once the guys get their timing right Staines will be epic down that side.

Latest posts