What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What the hell is going wrong with Manly???

Mark B

Juniors
The coach is stuck in 2008, and has a penchant for playing players out of position, inexplicably weakening numerous spots at the same time.

The halfback is taking up way too much of the cap, and has a long neck.

The fullback is incapable of playing any more than a handful of games in a row.

The hooker is facing serious charges in court, and has just been re-signed, despite not being available, and looking at jail time....and we have just signed another hooker, as his replacement, who is also unavailble for the majority of the year.

The 5/8 is held together with duct tape, and is also from the 2008 era, thus his signing ( see point 1).

We are the slowest team in the comp, by a fair margin.

Our wingers are slow, easily rag-dolled and ineffective at all aspects of the game.

Our centres are slow, one tries too hard, and f**ks up a lot.
The other likes KFC too much, and can't tackle.

Jake T has become Aiden Tolman, except he has a 900k price tag.

Marty T wants out, and we should let him go asap, and save some of his overinflated salary.

I've probably missed a few, but you get the gist.
IMHO they need a clean out. Which is easier said than done. It’s only early in the season and they may come good, the odds on that happening would be huge though. Jake T along with Tom made Manly likeable to most non supporters. Now that Des is back, he’s got Jake concentrating on complaining to the ref instead of playing good solid footy and poor old Tom is always out injured. Just my 2 cents.

shear_joy9

Coach
Des and Barrett have swapped seats in the NRL musical chairs, but who’s really better off. It’s hard to see upside in either of those two clubs in the foreseeable future.

For all the attention on Manly right now, the dogs I feel are in a far worse position. And have been for far longer.

When manly get TT and Tafua back that’ll help immensely. It won’t necessarily turn the ship completely around but they are two mainstays in the backline that any club would suffer from losing. They’re missing Sironen badly too IMO.

Against us last week, I genuinely thought they made yards easier but just had soap on their hands which killed them.

As for the dogs, I dunno who they are missing from their regulars that can make a difference. Yep the botched salary cap is still having an impact but FFS that was years ago. I dunno how Barrett can get any more out of them than Dean Pay... sure he’ll get Burton next year but for now.... two duck eggs in a row for the first time in club history... that’s nasty stuff.

Taufua won't help them at all. The guy's body is shot and he's not even nsw cup level anymore.

Not playing Schuster at 6 in favour of Foran should have led to the papers being signed for Des to be committed. f**king up the development of their future half by playing him in the second row is just insane.

Dogs will be fine. New halves and fullback take time to get in sync and takes even longer with a plodder at hooker. Their two best forwards Thompson and Faitala-Mariner are out injured

some11

Referee
Can someone remind me why toovey was sacked again?

For Trent f**king Barrett of all people??

Hasler might be past it but there were decisions that led to this rot.

Reflector

Juniors
The Bears were never kicked out, they went broke.

They went broke trying to do exactly what the NRL had recommended clubs like them (i.e, clubs in Sydney) should do. Considering the assistance they have given other clubs over the years, would it have been to hard for the NRL to bail out Norths for a season to get them full-time at their brand new stadium in Gosford?

Of course it wouldn't have, but that kind of thinking was/ is too long-term for the NRL. So we got the Northern Eagles instead...

Valheru

Coach
They are in dire straights.

They look eerily similar to the broncos of 2020 with the weekly floggings.

Sometimes you need to hit rock bottom before turning the corner. I think the dogs are worse but it wouldn't surprise me to see them find a way to lose to them too.

Cowboys are also every bit as bad.

t-ba

Post Whore
Can someone remind me why toovey was sacked again?

For Trent f**king Barrett of all people??

Hasler might be past it but there were decisions that led to this rot.

Internal politics.

A few very important people in the club don't like him. So he had to go the way of the Fridge and leave.

Tooves was okay. He lacked a bit of imagination but for those first few seasons he really didn't need too much. Would have been interesting seeing him try and mould a side in his own image after 2015.

Tiger5150

Bench
They went broke trying to do exactly what the NRL had recommended clubs like them (i.e, clubs in Sydney) should do. Considering the assistance they have given other clubs over the years, would it have been to hard for the NRL to bail out Norths for a season to get them full-time at their brand new stadium in Gosford?

Of course it wouldn't have, but that kind of thinking was/ is too long-term for the NRL. So we got the Northern Eagles instead...

They were broke before that and it was due to poor management. Amongst other things Directors fled prior with Superannuation unpaid to staff. It was also poor management on behalf of the club with the debacle with Central Coast Stadium. I was a contractor on the stadium and was also contracting to Norths (as well as Balmain and Canterbury) at the time. The date that Norths were talking about, being ready for the season was a pipe dream. Was never going to happen. The project didnt actually go that much over time. But for some reason, Norths felt the need to VERY publicly tell North Sydney Council to go forth and multiply with respect to NSO. Then when the inevitable happened and they had to go back to Council on their knees, North Sydney Council welcomed them back with open arms and an invoice that was approx 5 times the previous cost.

Taufua won't help them at all. The guy's body is shot and he's not even nsw cup level anymore.

Not playing Schuster at 6 in favour of Foran should have led to the papers being signed for Des to be committed. f**king up the development of their future half by playing him in the second row is just insane.

Dogs will be fine. New halves and fullback take time to get in sync and takes even longer with a plodder at hooker. Their two best forwards Thompson and Faitala-Mariner are out injured

A fit Tafua, granted he’s a winger... alongside Trbojevic at the back, helps steady the back 3 and gives some strong attacking potency. Walker is a far better centre / half than 1 from what I’ve seen. But I don’t know what they do with Foran ..

I really like Josh Jackson but he’s a workhorse not a weapon, and only he can do so much for that ailing dogs pack. They may get those two back but they are carrying far too many middle of the road players, with a new coach who’s yet to have any significant on field success.

The manly fall is more stunning but the dogs are in a worse position for mine. Time will tell.

shear_joy9

Coach
A fit Tafua, granted he’s a winger... alongside Trbojevic at the back, helps steady the back 3 and gives some strong attacking potency. Walker is a far better centre / half than 1 from what I’ve seen. But I don’t know what they do with Foran ..

I really like Josh Jackson but he’s a workhorse not a weapon, and only he can do so much for that ailing dogs pack. They may get those two back but they are carrying far too many middle of the road players, with a new coach who’s yet to have any significant on field success.

The manly fall is more stunning but the dogs are in a worse position for mine. Time will tell.

Taufua has added nothing but a few highlight reel tackles for years now. Saab and Garrick are comfortably better players

Taufua has added nothing but a few highlight reel tackles for years now. Saab and Garrick are comfortably better players

Saab.... geezus I couldn’t be more opposed to that. Not because he’s an ex dragon but he’s done effectively nothing yet. The only advantage he has over Tafua is he is young and could become something. All I think now is I didn’t think they could stack shit that high. Time will tell.

mongoose

Coach
They are in dire straights.

They look eerily similar to the broncos of 2020 with the weekly floggings.

Sometimes you need to hit rock bottom before turning the corner. I think the dogs are worse but it wouldn't surprise me to see them find a way to lose to them too.

Cowboys are also every bit as bad.

Manly can turn it around, they have a decent squad especially with Tom Trbo in the team. The Cowboys have some talent and points in them they just look so disorganised.

The Dogs are just an abomination to Rugba Leeg

shear_joy9

Coach
Saab.... geezus I couldn’t be more opposed to that. Not because he’s an ex dragon but he’s done effectively nothing yet. The only advantage he has over Tafua is he is young and could become something. All I think now is I didn’t think they could stack shit that high. Time will tell.

Taufua can't even take a run anymore without breaking something. Saab will atleast bring 10+ trys a season just by bombing to him