What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What the hell is going wrong with Manly???

Manly can turn it around, they have a decent squad especially with Tom Trbo in the team. The Cowboys have some talent and points in them they just look so disorganised.

The Dogs are just an abomination to Rugba Leeg

I agree. For a club I used to despise with venom, I genuinely feel embarrassment and pity for the dogs. I don’t like seeing them like this at all.

Of these 3 clubs I’d back manly to turn it around of all. Dunno if they actually will or not of course. They are the only team of these with genuine attacking weapons in playmaking positions.

siv

First Grade
The Bears were never kicked out, they went broke.

Get your facts right

They were kicked out

Then due to ongoing costs of building Gosford Stadium could no longer service the debt as their NRL licence was removed

Perth Red

Post Whore
Get your facts right

They were kicked out

Then due to ongoing costs of building Gosford Stadium could no longer service the debt as their NRL licence was removed

allegedly they had $4million debt and were well down the list in the nrl inclusion criteria as the comp sort to reduce numbers, having decided they would merge rather than fight exclusion they weren’t really kicked out, though they probably would have been if they didn’t merge.

they were obviously in no financial position a few years later to fight manly for the license when the merger failed.

sadly the nrl missed a golden opportunity (but then again we did have gallop as leader!) to set up a club for the whole northern region at that point, instead creating a long term void in the area by allowing manly to continue as a small outer suburban club playing in a shthole.

siv

First Grade
allegedly they had $4million debt and were well down the list in the nrl inclusion criteria as the comp sort to reduce numbers, having decided they would merge rather than fight exclusion they weren’t really kicked out, though they probably would have been if they didn’t merge.

they were obviously in no financial position a few years later to fight manly for the license when the merger failed.

sadly the nrl missed a golden opportunity (but then again we did have gallop as leader!) to set up a club for the whole northern region at that point, instead creating a long term void in the area by allowing manly to continue as a small outer suburban club playing in a shthole.

Firstly the debt was $2 mil

Criteria excluded regional or merged clubs

Wests were actually at the bottom Norths above them. Then Penrith but because of News Ltd SL cash Penrith & Cronulla suddenly looked financial.

Bears not able to service their debt without a NRL licence went into administration

The ADMINISTRATOR negotiated a deal with Manly and the NRL to get access to the $9 mil merger money on offer. He took the money paid his debts and left Manly with the rest. And we had the Beagles

In fact if the NRL had accepted Souths Juniors money as sponsorship as it was back then, it would have been Penrith kicked out

Tiger5150

Bench
Get your facts right

They were kicked out

Pretty loose with your use of the word FACT....

They were never kicked out. They went broke prior to the NRL making the decisions. North Sydney didnt build the stadium, they didnt spend a cent on it. It is owned by Central Coast Council and was paid for by the Council and NSW Govt.

Reflector

Juniors
They were broke before that and it was due to poor management. Amongst other things Directors fled prior with Superannuation unpaid to staff. It was also poor management on behalf of the club with the debacle with Central Coast Stadium. I was a contractor on the stadium and was also contracting to Norths (as well as Balmain and Canterbury) at the time. The date that Norths were talking about, being ready for the season was a pipe dream. Was never going to happen. The project didnt actually go that much over time. But for some reason, Norths felt the need to VERY publicly tell North Sydney Council to go forth and multiply with respect to NSO. Then when the inevitable happened and they had to go back to Council on their knees, North Sydney Council welcomed them back with open arms and an invoice that was approx 5 times the previous cost.

Even so, the NRL could've appreciated what Norths were trying to do long-term. They could've given Norths a hand-out with the stern warning not to let it happen again, and got the Bears to successfully move to Gosford full-time.

Reactions: Vee

siv

First Grade
Even so, the NRL could've appreciated what Norths were trying to do long-term. They could've given Norths a hand-out with the stern warning not to let it happen again, and got the Bears to successfully move to Gosford full-time.

Sadly that time in RL was all about culling clubs

We have since seen Souths, Gold Coast and odds are good for Brisbane 2 ala the Crushers

Be interesting to see how things would have eventuated without News Ltd SL cash injections in the criteria

You would have seen Cronulla and Penrith effected

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
DCE is horrendously out of form, Hasler is the new Sticky, Tommy T is an injury magnet, Foran is not even a quarter of the player he used to be and their forwards are bog average. I know this because the Broncos tick a lot of the same boxes, but give me the choice between Hasler and Walters and I'm sticking with Kevvie everyday of the week. His stint at the Dogs absolutely killed Des.

Taufua can't even take a run anymore without breaking something. Saab will atleast bring 10+ trys a season just by bombing to him

Hahahahaha. What are you basing that on? He was shit with the Dragons and he is worse with Manly.

Hopeless in attack, worse in defence.

They will stop bombing to him by the end of next week because it doesn’t work.

He will be finding out what a real “work commute” is like, sooner than later.