What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

_Johnsy

Referee
2. He should never be allowed to carry ball out of dummy half near our line - never!

There is a solution here (closer to the 10-20m out, not on our try line), get him two passes wide (or one long pass) spread it & give him a bit of space near the line to use his natural speed. Could be an effective ploy, but would depend on the shape of the defensive line.

Dragon David

First Grade
I have posted about Matt Dufty a number of times.

He is behind Papenhuyzen, Tedesco, Mitchell, Ponga even Brimson. No argument.

That acknowledged he has a rare ability to accelerate whilst close swerving which has seen him score trys that are sublime.

I am wrapped in Papenhuyzen and if he stays healthy how do you refuse to put him at the back of NSW? In fullback position it’s riches galore.

Last week Dufty scored two very good backup trys including a fast swerve acceleration. He should have had three backup trys (like Papenhuyzen tonight) but Cory threw a pass over his shoulder. In other words really 3 trys last week were similar to Papenhuyzen.. both have incredible speed to quickly catch the line break and receive the inside or outside pass to score. Remember Papenhuyzen is backing up a line breaking power centre in Olin (which we don’t have) and the comps most powerful offloading forward in Solomona. I bet Dufty wishes he had those advantages.

Of course, Dufty isn’t at Papenhuyzen’s level but let’s not lose sight of a bit of balance. Dufty is scoring good backup trys without the Storm team machine supporting him.
What can be said is that if Dufty was the fullback of the Storm, he too would be scoring more tries, maybe not as many as Papenhuyzen, but he would definitely be up there. The thing though is Papenhuyzen is much better with catching the ball and in defence. The game the Storm lost on a very wet night, Papenhuyzen took every catch with ease that is why he will be in the NSW Squad.

Crush

Coach
Paps is the full package. He does everything Duff does plus he brings the ball out of their end with ease. He is the best back in the NRL.
That’s not to say we should drop Duff because he can’t do what Paps does.
Duff is a work in progress and one of our most potent attacking weapons. You’d be batshit mad to drop Dufty, if you did we would instantly be a weaker football team.

What can be said is that if Dufty was the fullback of the Storm, he too would be scoring more tries, maybe not as many as Papenhuyzen, but he would definitely be up there. The thing though is Papenhuyzen is much better with catching the ball and in defence. The game the Storm lost on a very wet night, Papenhuyzen took every catch with ease that is why he will be in the NSW Squad.

Bellamy would never play Dufty in first grade.

Straight Shooter

Dragsters

First Grade
Id be happy putting Papps will to win and self belief in Duftys body.......Papps fortunately was under the tutorlidge of Bellamy, whilst Dufty unfortunately was under The Imposter......lets hope Hook turns that around

Tru dat.

A coach's belief and backing is, imo, the most important thing to instill confidence in talented young footballers.

McFails constant flip flopping and blame game intilled zero confidence in them, while Bellamy provides an abundance of it...

boardlumps62

Juniors
Tru dat.

A coach's belief and backing is, imo, the most important thing to instill confidence in talented young footballers.

McFails constant flip flopping and blame game intilled zero confidence in them, while Bellamy provides an abundance of it...
Hook may be similar but he is a coach been around different teams. McGregor did not serve an apprenticeship that I am aware.

Old Timer

Coach
Bellamy would turn him into a complete footballer, just like he did with Papy...
I'm not sure that is correct.

Papps has some natural attributes which are not evident in Dufty namely physicality and the burning personal desire to "do whatever it takes" to accomplish the best outcome possible.

I believe these are traits you either have or you don't and can't be coached however if you have them I do believe good coaches can "heighten / accentuate" them thus making a player better.

Dufty is 25 and not shown the desire to put his body on the line each and every time nor has he shown the burning desire to be that player who is going to be "there" when it most matters which is something Papps has in spades and his enthusiasm to be involved in all facets of the game is simply outstanding as was the case with Slater.

There is also another glaring difference between Papps and Dufty and without trying to sound horrible it is evident if you watch either being interviewed.

Some players like Papps are extremely mature, focussed, team responsibility aware and highly professional / business like and always capable of seeing the bigger picture and then there are players like Dufty who are not capable of seeing the bigger picture and tend to focus on individual aspects with the odd glib comment about "we have to do better".

No doubt Dufty has the desire to be faster and to score more tries but that would not be enough for Bellamy and unless Dufty was willing to do all the other stuff and self sacrifice I doubt Bellamy would bother with him as the Storm culture does not allow for players who have less than 100% commitment to all aspects of the game.

No doubt some other clubs and coaches would most likely accept Dufty as is and if he ddn't improve they would still be be happy with the highlight real but IMO not Bellamy.

Dragon David

First Grade

Papps has some natural attributes which are not evident in Dufty namely physicality and the burning personal desire to "do whatever it takes" to accomplish the best outcome possible.

I believe these are traits you either have or you don't and can't be coached however if you have them I do believe good coaches can "heighten / accentuate" them thus making a player better.

Dufty is 25 and not shown the desire to put his body on the line each and every time nor has he shown the burning desire to be that player who is going to be "there" when it most matters which is something Papps has in spades and his enthusiasm to be involved in all facets of the game is simply outstanding as was the case with Slater.

There is also another glaring difference between Papps and Dufty and without trying to sound horrible it is evident if you watch either being interviewed.

Some players like Papps are extremely mature, focussed, team responsibility aware and highly professional / business like and always capable of seeing the bigger picture and then there are players like Dufty who are not capable of seeing the bigger picture and tend to focus on individual aspects with the odd glib comment about "we have to do better".

No doubt Dufty has the desire to be faster and to score more tries but that would not be enough for Bellamy and unless Dufty was willing to do all the other stuff and self sacrifice I doubt Bellamy would bother with him as the Storm culture does not allow for players who have less than 100% commitment to all aspects of the game.

No doubt some other clubs and coaches would most likely accept Dufty as is and if he ddn't improve they would still be be happy with the highlight real but IMO not Bellamy.
But if Bellamy had the chance to coach Dufty, he would be a much improved player. We know that if any player was coached by Bellamy, he would turn out to be much better. Papps, Addo Carr, Marika Koroibete originally from the Wests Tigers and not wanted are Bellamy's successes like the Cronks, Slaters and Smiths and so on.

possm

Coach
I said long ago Dufty doesn't like collision.
Ramsey is our future fullback although I have not seen Sloane play.
I agree! At the Dragons Dufty's best position right now is as our bench utility player; 3 forwards and Dufty on the bench. Give him 10 min at the end of each half to weave his magic.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Whilst i believe he can score a bagful of tries this year I do believe he’ll always be a rocks and diamonds type player. The try he scored against Easts on Anzac Day was one of the most exhilarating tries i think i’ve ever seen and also believe he’s our best option right now; the future not sure, until we see more development from the other candidates; the potential of the others are obvious but not just yet. Would love to see Dufty all round game improve both for him and for Saints, but not that confident it will. In the meantime just going with the ride.

possm

Coach
Whilst i believe he can score a bagful of tries this year I do believe he’ll always be a rocks and diamonds type player. The try he scored against Easts on Anzac Day was one of the most exhilarating tries i think i’ve ever seen and also believe he’s our best option right now; the future not sure, until we see more development from the other candidates; the potential of the others are obvious but not just yet. Would love to see Dufty all round game improve both for him and for Saints, but not that confident it will. In the meantime just going with the ride.

If Dufty was in high demand by NRL Clubs, he would have been signed by now for 2022. I truly believe his future lies within the ESL where he could earn big bucks playing in a competition that is of a standard between our reserve grade and first grade.

Hey OV, been a while mate.
What’s going on with the bagging of players? Last few posts you’ve bagged Dufty and before that said Ravalawa had no potential?
I thought with Mary gone you’d be more positive?

Sorry, I don't mean to bag those two so heavily. I see that it comes across very harsh.

Firstly, I'm feeling very positive. I think we will be top 6, have said that since the fraud's sacking.

But I get a little impatient, I guess. I think we could do really well but for some glaring weaknesses - fullback being one of them. I just don't see him developing into a consistent, solid first grader. His weaknesses far outweigh his flair. So much harder nowadays for the little blokes to reach NRL standard. That's just the way it is. I don't think too many clubs would be keen to sign him, except as a fringe or utility player. Sure he has amazing speed and scores some beautiful tries, but gosh he consistently puts the team under so much pressure and has no ability to help the forwards in bringing the ball out of our red zone. I have never been a fan of flashy players - give me 13 Beau Scotts any day, they will win you a title.

I'm slowly starting to change my mind on Rava, maybe the Duff will have me do the same.

Straight Shooter

Last edited:

Dragsters

First Grade

True and these are all traits in Papy which have presented themselves in his game since he has been at Melbourne.

He was unwanted at the tigers and not wanted by other clubs as all they saw him offering was speed.

Bellamy, Slater and the Storm system have developed all of those additional traits you have listed as I see it...

Latest posts