What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The big NRL divide

This gap just proves that our GOAT administrator was not Peter V'Landys but David Gallop. He was proud of the fact that the competition was close under his reign and any team could win every week.

I'd give up half the tv revenue to bring him back.... (as would he)

simmo05

Bench
But if there is a sustained run of blowouts, for example all year, and people switch off in droves, you think nein and fox wouldn't be screaming for action by the NRL to close the gap?

I get that all clubs should be striving to meet the standards set by the storm etc but when it affects the product the NRL will definitely cave to the networks

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Recruitment decisions made under a different rule structure, brought in with zero notice.

Yes this can't be understated. The NRL salary cap and the way its enforced makes it difficult for teams to change on the fly. We legit got super lucky that the Titans came in hard for Boyd and Paulo wanted to return to Parra or we would be getting murdered through the middle of the field with the current interpretation

Knight76

Juniors
Just lol at a Bronco complaining about the game being uneven. Cry me a river.

Funny also comments from some about how the divide exists and the "good teams" are better than the apparently poorly run bottom 4 or 8.

Wasn't too long ago that the shoe was on the other foot with these apparently "good teams".

The game has gotten faster, the teams that are struggling are going to get exposed more as they don't have the constant stoppages to get a break, reset the D etc. This was always going to happen when the 6 again rules got changed.

davi

Juniors
Just lol at a Bronco complaining about the game being uneven. Cry me a river.

Yeah bullshit. I didn't complain, I was more seeking discussion about the factors that are behind the lopsided margins. You didn't read the post properly so it just shows how much of a simpleton you are.

The_Frog

First Grade
Seems the better teams are managing the new rules better than the bottom 4
The bottom teams have to slow down the game any way they can in order to compete. BUT as Wayne Bennett said yesterday, all teams are on the same salary cap.

Delboy

First Grade
Being an Eels fan there is some experience at the problem.

Basically it goes to clubs giving out 4/5 impressively large contracts to players over a decent term and as they decline, the team can’t adequately enter the market to replace them. Manly show how that happens, Bulldogs too, Broncos seemingly paid overs for young players who lack experience and the Cowboys like the Dogs invested in players not in the positions that provide the foundation of a competitive roster.

Coaches can’t turn those sort of rosters around in a couple of years, so as they restructure they have a couple of seasons of poor results. In Sydney the Panthers and Eels are doing a better job of identifying good juniors and aren’t losing them in numbers that helped other teams.

Seems that it rears its head about the gap when teams mentioned who have been the ones on top are experiencing the life of being on the other end of competitiveness. It’s a game that sees these shifts, just different clubs currently, it will move around and the names will change again.

Knight76

Juniors
Yeah bullshit. I didn't complain, I was more seeking discussion about the factors that are behind the lopsided margins. You didn't read the post properly so it just shows how much of a simpleton you are.

Whatever tosser, the fact is the Broncs have had years of dominating the game with near SOO level squad! Yet here we have a Broncos fan starting a thread about how uneven things are, which the Broncos happen to be at the bottom.

I'm just enjoying the irony.

Starting to hurt not winning every week eh?

You enjoy your weekend!

The_Frog

First Grade
Coaches can’t turn those sort of rosters around in a couple of years, so as they restructure they have a couple of seasons of poor results. In Sydney the Panthers and Eels are doing a better job of identifying good juniors and aren’t losing them in numbers that helped other teams.
Of the 17 that played for Parramatta last weekend, only 6 debuted with the club. This is not the worst in the NRL by far, but they are by no means at the forefront of junior development these days. They are mostly a chequebook club, which is why their season results vary wildly.

Edit: Actually it is 7, but they can't possibly claim Sivo as a player they developed. He came from Fiji via the bush and a 2 year stint in reserve grade at our joint. Same as we don't claim Kikau.

typicalfan

Coach
Of the 17 that played for Parramatta last weekend, only 6 debuted with the club. This is not the worst in the NRL by far, but they are by no means at the forefront of junior development these days. They are mostly a chequebook club, which is why their season results vary wildly.

Edit: Actually it is 7, but they can't possibly claim Sivo as a player they developed. He came from Fiji via the bush and a 2 year stint in reserve grade at our joint.
Maybe but they don't pay overs, that is the key, they don't overspend which was the hallmark of the Eels 10 years ago.

The_Frog

First Grade
Maybe but they don't pay overs, that is the key, they don't overspend which was the hallmark of the Eels 10 years ago.
They do like to pick up players who are still being paid by their old clubs. Their recruitment has been pretty decent recently but their depth isn't all that flash.

typicalfan

Coach
They do like to pick up players who are still being paid by their old clubs. Their recruitment has been pretty decent recently.
Players with potential upside. Like Cartwright who has been good in the past, they are already strong without him so it's a minimal risk.

T.S Quint

Coach
I don’t remember seeing a thread like this when we were getting smashed by 30-40 points every week back in 2012-13.

I do remember quite a few lol @ pawwa comments though (quite well deserved, I might add).

We may not be the best team right now...but we aren’t close to the worst, and I’m pretty ok with that.

In fact, Bulldogs, Manly, Broncos at the bottom makes me pretty happy. Unfortunately the Storm can’t join them there, but three out of four ain’t bad.

T.S Quint

Coach

Edit: Actually it is 7, but they can't possibly claim Sivo as a player they developed. He came from Fiji via the bush and a 2 year stint in reserve grade at our joint. Same as we don't claim Kikau.

The fruits of our development labour have only just begun to show themselves. It’s taken a long time to fix our Junior systems and get them to a point where we are finding, keeping and developing good first graders, as it did your club.
Yes we have had to rely on recruitment to get to where we are, but I like that we have gone about it in a smart manner rather than throwing a million dollars at some ‘big’ name to make an immediate fix, which rarely happens.

Hopefully over the next few years our young blokes coming through will hit the top grade and give us plenty of depth so we don’t have to rely solely on outside recruitment from other clubs.

AnonymousLurker

Juniors
Funny , clubs not used to being shit all of a sudden complain about the cap , just like south’s because their going to lose Reynolds

The salary cap is not the issue when you have the bulldogs spending $9+M on that squad .

the complaints about the cap is the same about complaints about 6 again . Take responsibility for your actions .
If you don’t spend studiously you will have cap room
If you don’t hold down to slow the ply the ball you won’t cop 6 again against you

franklin2323

Immortal
How many games have been good as a neutral so far this year ?

I liked the Panthers v Storm thought that was an absolute barnstormer of a game but I am struggling to think of other games. Some people might say the Raiders v Warriors but I am not a neutral and I think that was good because the warriors could run us down injured. So it was exciting but circumstantial

Dragons v Cows and Dragons v Sharks was good.

Seems the even matched teams have good games. That shows rules are fine just need to get the bad teams better

Yep the rules are bullshit. Not because teams are getting f**ked up, but because they aren't getting f**ked up enough.

The rules are put in place to hold the Broncos back. If the NRL got rid of the salary cap, the Broncos would win the premiership every year. Teams should be on their knees thanking the Broncos for not only accepting the salary cap, but keeping Rugby League alive. Should bring Super League back.

To the guys saying "too bad" to the Broncos. I guarantee you guys will be the first ones crying if the salary cap was removed.

A "thank you, Broncos" every now and then wouldn't hurt you guys, geez.

Alan Johnson

Juniors
As a warriors supporter I never get smug about blowouts.

I stand with the Cowboys.
I stand with the Bulldogs