What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Jerseys, Logos, Mock Ups, Photos ANYTHING

76962.jpg

The Great Dane

First Grade
Free monster energy drinks for players after each game :joy:
Having read into it, that seems to kind of be what it is. Though in this case it's not as bad.

Monster has launched an electrolyte sports drink, and they've partnered with the RFL to be their official sports drink partner just like Powerade does with the NRL.

Now I can't confirm this for sure in this case, but it seems likely that it's a contra deal where Monster is giving them the drink for free in exchange for promoting it, but that's standard for these kinds of drink and/or supplement sponsorships in sport.

So yeah it's more likely than not that it's contra deal, but in this case that's not unusual.

Because they'll alienate a huge portion of the potential fan-base of a second Brisbane club. Fans they'll need to make the club a success in the NRL.

Imagine if there was a league above the NRL, and only one Sydney club was going to be allowed into that league, but that club needed the support of the whole city to be viable. How many Rabbitohs, Tigers, Eels, etc, etc, fans would be willing to support e.g. the Roosters in that comp? Not many right!

The same thing will happen in Brisbane, where an almost certain majority of BRL, QRL, junior league, etc, fans whom have alliances to different clubs than the Dolphins will simply refuse to support the Dolphins because of the history between them and their club when they are in the NRL.

So the only way to make sure that the Dolphins have the best chance of succeeding in the NRL would be to require them to take on a neutral brand that the fans of other clubs can get behind as well, or rule them out for the license if they refuse to use a different brand for the NRL club.
Agree...to a point and I think that point isn't worth the weight you're giving it

The point of the new club is to bring in the younger group of fans, those young kids don't give much of a stuff about old BRL rivalries.

Also, the same amount of fans you might, might put off you'll get the same if not more of the current rusted on Dolphins fans coming on board

Just have a look at the port power over in the AFL to see the benefits of bringing up an existing popular club

The Great Dane

First Grade
Also, the same amount of fans you might, might put off you'll get the same if not more of the current rusted on Dolphins fans coming on board
In reality how many rusted on Redcliffe fans actually exist?

Aside from maybe Redcliffe themselves nobody knows for sure, but if we are being realistic it's definitely under 10k and probably under 5k.

I'm willing to say for almost certain that if you base the NRL team out of Redcliffe and call them the Dolphins that you will alienate more than 10k potential fans in doing that.

Call them something else and you've got no issue, all those Dolphins and non-Dolphins fans are just as likely to support them. So considering that you'd be mad to call them the Dolphins.
Just have a look at the port power over in the AFL to see the benefits of bringing up an existing popular club
Port Adelaide didn't run with their old brand, that made them more palatable to people whom disliked the Magpies. Just like the Queanbeyan Blues creating the Canberra Raiders brand brought in a lot of people whom wouldn't have supported the team otherwise, including myself.

Even so the obvious connections to Port Adelaide definitely still turned people off the Power, I've heard AFL people more in the know than either of us talk about it in detail.

yakstorm

First Grade
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all three Brisbane bids associated with existing QRL clubs:
  • Brisbane Dolphins (Redcliffe)
  • Brisbane Firehawks (Easts)
  • Brisbane Jets (Ipswich)
As such, couldn't that argument against Redcliffe also be applied to the other two bids? I'm sure Ipswich doesn't have the 'dislike' factor that Easts and Redcliffe have, but on the flip side the Brisbane Jets bid is far weaker when it comes to revenues, assets and existing pathways.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all three Brisbane bids associated with existing QRL clubs:
  • Brisbane Dolphins (Redcliffe)
  • Brisbane Firehawks (Easts)
  • Brisbane Jets (Ipswich)
As such, couldn't that argument against Redcliffe also be applied to the other two bids? I'm sure Ipswich doesn't have the 'dislike' factor that Easts and Redcliffe have, but on the flip side the Brisbane Jets bid is far weaker when it comes to revenues, assets and existing pathways.
Sure, but unlike the Dolphins whom so far have utterly refused to make any significant changes to their brand and insist on pursuing playing games at Dolphin Stadium (which will have a capacity of 11.5k), Easts are making concerted efforts to make themselves more appealing to a broader audience, i.e. taking a neutral brand (like the Raiders and Power).

And though they aren't as financially loaded as the Dolphins, they are still well backed and are better geographically located in the city to support a team that would/should be playing out of Suncorp full time.

Honestly not enough has come out about the Brisbane Jets bid since the merger to have an informed opinion on them yet, so keeping that in mind the Firehawks are the least flawed of the teams currently bidding.

MugaB

Coach
Sure, but unlike the Dolphins whom so far have utterly refused to make any significant changes to their brand and insist on pursuing playing games at Dolphin Stadium (which will have a capacity of 11.5k), Easts are making concerted efforts to make themselves more appealing to a broader audience, i.e. taking a neutral brand (like the Raiders and Power).

And though they aren't as financially loaded as the Dolphins, they are still well backed and are better geographically located in the city to support a team that would/should be playing out of Suncorp full time.

Honestly not enough has come out about the Brisbane Jets bid since the merger to have an informed opinion on them yet, so keeping that in mind the Firehawks are the least flawed of the teams currently bidding.
They are all flawed, but all are playing in suncorp so im not sure why you've kept drumming on the dolphins, if anything being "Sunshine State" would encapsulate all of SEQ as much as the North QLD do up north, and if broncos didn't exist, playing at suncorp fulltime would make any of the bids as the "brisbane" franchise of the NRL.
I feel they are the more favorable bid only coz they have the room to grow, spreading to north to sunshine coast akin to what should be done in sydney with north shore to central coast, looks like it can be done via the dolphins bid.
The 2 bids with encroach on broncos and titans, and probably won't grow in population size dramatically compared to the areas dolphins will be representing

Dark Corner

Juniors
Love a good few of the home team jerseys and quite old school 80s and mid 90s but the Sharks is the best with the V-neck.

MugaB

Coach
That's obvious considering your response doesn't even address my criticism of the Dolphins...
Whats your criticism? All ive read is that they a pursuing playing at dolphin stadium? Which is for training, trials and exhibition matches, not bulk amount home games , Suncorp will have 10 home games, Sunshine Coast will have 1-2, so the constant craping on about where they are playing is getting old, makes you sound uninformed. Im not saying i support the dolphins for the 17th bid, but they are the better placed bid, for at this time of post pandemic