What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 4 V Newcastle

Pro Dragons

Juniors
Great win over Newcastle, when Hunt returns lets hope he will pick up where he left off. If he does I’m absolutely convinced we will be in the 8.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I’m gobsmacked at the steel & toughness that Hook has instilled in our forward pack. Certainly have not seen this level of attitude since Bennett was coach.
They look and play like a unified team that now has some belief. Any sign of adversity and the continual ref calls against the team & they now rally not crumble.

Thanks Hook, Elliot & Gentle for putting the Steel back in the Dragons....it’s a pleasure to watch and be proud of our team once again.

ALSGI

Bench
Had to pinch myself this morning!

The result was great but it’s the actual performance that has me smiling. Very proud Dragons supporter here that will wear the merch this week with more pride than I have in a long time.

Lots being said in the media about Newcastle’s resilience and injuries with little said about the refereeing and Dragons resilience. But we can see it and it’s polar opposite to what we’ve seen in the last few years. Hope we stay off the radar for a while. Happy to remain on the experts spoon contenders list.

Go the Mighty Dragons.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade

The result was great but it’s the actual performance that has me smiling. Very proud Dragons supporter here that will wear the merch this week with more pride than I have in a long time.

Lots being said in the media about Newcastle’s resilience and injuries with little said about the refereeing and Dragons resilience. But we can see it and it’s polar opposite to what we’ve seen in the last few years. Hope we stay off the radar for a while. Happy to remain on the experts spoon contenders list.

Go the Mighty Dragons.
I think we are off that list now, we’ve probably already won more games than the Dogs will.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors

Go the Mighty Dragons.

Well said, ALSGI!
Reveals the warped focus of the media on certain individuals and sensationalism that Perace's injury is given more coverage than the resurgence of the "wooden spoon bound" Dragons. Foxtel leading the charge on gossip about players as though it is more important than footy action on the field.

ALSGI

Bench
Well said, ALSGI!
Reveals the warped focus of the media on certain individuals and sensationalism that Perace's injury is given more coverage than the resurgence of the "wooden spoon bound" Dragons. Foxtel leading the charge on gossip about players as though it is more important than footy action on the field.
And no mention of the high shot Pearce tried to put on Sims or a few of theirs that should be charged this week.

Ennis and Fletcher praised our defence.

anasta and several others focused on Newcastle injury list.

For some reason most of the media seem to love to death ride us.

Happy to fly under the radar for a few more weeks.

It will be very difficult to maintain the physicality of our defensive performance against the Knights.

Our team needs to minimise its mistakes and dominate possession if they are to keep this kind of defence going.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
And no mention of the high shot Pearce tried to put on Sims or a few of theirs that should be charged this week.
exactly! what was Pearce actually trying to do? Once his injury was attended to they should have had that replacement in the Sin Bin for 10!

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
Yes that is why we can bring the young ones on in seasons 2021, 2022 and 2023 as opportunities allow. With Norman gone Sullivan and Amone can be used in rotation. At the back Ramsey to fullback in 2021 in preperation for 2022. If he is not suitable, then Sloan and then Schiller if necessary. All of htese three players can play in the back 5 positions.

I always admire your passion, Possm, and am well aware of your many posts stating Dufty is a 5/8 not a fullback. But I would like to ask you after yesterday's game is there any chance that you could be convinced that Dufty has made some improvement both under the high ball and in defence while Ramsey may benefit from more time on the wing? Dufty like so many other team mates is showing the benefit of playing under a genuinely professional coaching staff. I for one want him to be playing for the Dragons for many years to come, not against us.
In his one NRL game Sullivan looked like he could quickly make the transition. But often with young stars this is not the case and some fall by the wayside. I wonder if you got your way with the above selections whether you would have the patience to stick with them if they do not star overnight.

FlameThrower

Bench
Well said, ALSGI!
TBH - the Foxtel of a 10 years ago is nothing like the comedy hours, gossip and sensationalist driven agenda of today. Especially on NRL related shows.

St Tangles

Bench
Funny on the Knights site they have the opposite opinion of the ref's to us

They think the decisions went our way

They also think Rava caused the mele

FlameThrower

Bench
Ennis and Fletcher praised our defence.

anasta and several others focused on Newcastle injury list.

For some reason most of the media seem to love to death ride us.

Happy to fly under the radar for a few more weeks.

It will be very difficult to maintain the physicality of our defensive performance against the Knights.

Our team needs to minimise its mistakes and dominate possession if they are to keep this kind of defence going.
Great summary...and TBH I’d rather we are not even mentioned as likely top 8. We still have heaps to improve on. Hook & Co, have done a brilliant job in such a short time frame vs 8 previous years of garbage. The Club needed a senior and experienced coach and coaching staff. Thank goodness we did not fall for the Dean Young ‘ great coaching in the making’ ‘ job is his to lose’ rubbish that’s sone sections of the media were rolling out. Finally don’t forget the terrible negative campaign against Hook just before we signed him.. tell me that was not agenda driven...

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I've just noticed the score was 22 - 13 but Lomax kicked 4 goals, what's going on did the bunker review a kick or something ?
While we're on the bunker that ball didn't go forward off Kerr in the lead up to our first try and also Klemmer knocked on when he hurt his knee but got to play on ?
Unfortunately Lomax missed one from out wide, it was waved away, ending his streak. He kicked 3 out of 4.

Our first disallowed try was a disgraceful decision, it barely brushed Kerr (if at all) and was never knocked forward. Further evidence that the bunker review is subject to human error and ultimately self defeating. Frustrating to watch and a waste of time.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Great summary...and TBH I’d rather we are not even mentioned as likely top 8. We still have heaps to improve on. Hook & Co, have done a brilliant job in such a short time frame vs 8 previous years of garbage. The Club needed a senior and experienced coach and coaching staff. Thank goodness we did not fall for the Dean Young ‘ great coaching in the making’ ‘ job is his to lose’ rubbish that’s sone sections of the media were rolling out. Finally don’t forget the terrible negative campaign against Hook just before we signed him.. tell me that was not agenda driven...
Great post

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
Take aways from todays game
  1. Further improvement was evident again today and we still have a lot of improvement in us yet and we have the right coach to extract it.
  2. We look organised and far less prone to making mistakes by panicking
  3. We exhibited toughness and a real willingness to be in the contest from kick off to the final siren.
  4. JK & AM doing a great job playing their 80 minute stints
  5. Sims backed up from last weeks solid effort with a MOM performance today
  6. I am not sure if Newcastle are that good a side however they are physical and we bashed them good and proper
  7. We are taking on the persona of our coach i.e plain talking, straight shooting, no frills and highly effective with supposedly not a lot to work with.
  8. Their is belief in the coaching staff and new found belief in each other and as we trust each other more each week we will become a very formidable opponent to the very best of teams

Really enjoying your post-match perspectives, OT. I am just interested to know your current thoughts on Fui and Williame. I can't remember whether you have commented on them after earlier rounds, but remember that last year you marked them down as poor signings. For me It has been great to see the consistent energy and aggression Fui has brought to each game while Williame despite a few handling errors has appeared to be a useful back up.

Nobody appears to have commented on Faama's disappearance from the game after his ineffectual tackle leading to the King try. Was this just the bench rotation in action or was he hooked, pardon the pun, as a reaction to letting in such a soft try?

Interesting to see some Posters comparing the forwards' efforts back to those of 2010. I recall considering something similar during the first ten minutes of the 2nd half vs the Sharks in Rd 1, a really concerted effort to wrest control back of the game just as in the 2010 GF when Bennett had the forwards returning from the dressing room absolutely primed to steamroll the Roosters and take the initiative. Just fantastic to see the forwards hunting as a pack yesterday!

SaintPeter

Juniors
The last ten years, nightmare, is OVER!
Ladies and gentlemen we have a Team again.
What an effort from our forwards.
They were outstanding.

I'm a little bit happy this morning, if you couldn't tell.

Agree with you Flame Thrower re the negative media barrage (mainly Andrew Webster) at the SMH against Griffin just prior to his appointment.
Tell em to get stuffed. We are lucky to have him. He has transformed this team.