What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player unrest at the Cows?

davi

Juniors
Payton heading down the path of being the first coach sacked

No, not with a three year contract. Cowboys have already paid out a million to Paul Green.

I will say though that the idea of the Cowboys going completely outside the box and hiring English coach Shaun Wane intrigued me. Reports were Wane was interviewing well for the Cowboys job. It was down to Wane and Todd Payten. Payten's Warriors went on a late season rally which sealed it for Payten.

Wane would probably be likely dealing with the same issues in terms of the roster needing a overhaul if he was hired as coach though.

Last edited:

Reflector

Juniors
JT should go to a club with a strong winning culture and a coach that will help bring out his best each week.

I’d suggest the Broncos, but Paddy Carrigan pretty much has a lock on that 13 jumper.

After reading your comment I glanced at that picture of Kevvie's face and (in the context of what I'd just read) it made me laugh way harder than I expected

Reflector

Juniors
Payten strikes me as a coach who tells it how it is.

If player unrest stems from that, then it says far more about them than the coach.

That club has been in a hole since 2018. They got rid of the last coach, who won them their first premiership,

Seems to me there’s a lot of precious players up there. They need a clean out.

Josh McGuire... “winners have parties, losers have meetings”.... hmmm.

It was no secret that for years the Cowboys players partied it up.

Like the Titans, one of those clubs that needs to be careful with recruiting blokes that aren't especially susceptible to that lifestyle and devote the right focus to football.

Vee

First Grade
This is playing out exactly like Payten wants it to play out. He's pissing off the players he wants to get rid of, to the point that they actually want to leave - which will free up some cap space for him. Master-stroke from Payten.
Seems to be pissing off the wrong players.

gerg

Juniors
Seems to be pissing off the wrong players.

I disagree. JT's 10 year deal is a dumb deal for the club. As good as he is, you spend a million on your spine players. McGuire pisses and moans about the effort not being good enough but his effort is s***house at the moment. This is an origin player. Val Holmes, another terrible deal for the club. Hess has been out of form for how many years now? Heck, go through their entire roster and who is playing well? Feldt maybe, Hammer yeah ok. Drinkwater maybe. Who else?

Last Week

Bench
I think Todd knows what he's doing. He's cleaning out the club as quickly as possible. This is a means of doing it.

I don't think he wants to get rid of Lolo, but rather renegotiate his contract.

If Lolo leaves, the Bulldogs are an obvious choice.

Bazal

Post Whore
I think Todd knows what he's doing. He's cleaning out the club as quickly as possible. This is a means of doing it.

I don't think he wants to get rid of Lolo, but rather renegotiate his contract.

If Lolo leaves, the Bulldogs are an obvious choice.

Let's be honest though, is it going to destroy them if LoLo leaves? You'd have to say absolutely not. Given I can't see him getting the boot before getting a go with his own squad, Payten wins either way, frees up a bucket load of cash or keeps LoLo

He's a stellar forward but if there is a criticism he's pretty one dimensional. Yes, he is the best in the world at that one dimension but you can get 75% of his output for 25% of his cost and if you're smart about it, four of those players are better for the side than one of him IMO

Last Week

Bench
Let's be honest though, is it going to destroy them if LoLo leaves? You'd have to say absolutely not. Given I can't see him getting the boot before getting a go with his own squad, Payten wins either way, frees up a bucket load of cash or keeps LoLo

He's a stellar forward but if there is a criticism he's pretty one dimensional. Yes, he is the best in the world at that one dimension but you can get 75% of his output for 25% of his cost and if you're smart about it, four of those players are better for the side than one of him IMO

No of course they'll be better off, but they'd be better off with him then without. The issue is apparently his cost.

Remember, when they signed him to that 10 year deal, the broadcast rights and salary cap looked like it was just going to keep going up and up. Then COVID. For a while there, it looked as if Lolo was signed at a bargain price.

I agree he needs to develop more in his game. Junior Paulo is a great example of what he should do with his game.

Bazal

Post Whore
No of course they'll be better off, but they'd be better off with him then without. The issue is apparently his cost.

Remember, when they signed him to that 10 year deal, the broadcast rights and salary cap looked like it was just going to keep going up and up. Then COVID. For a while there, it looked as if Lolo was signed at a bargain price.

I agree he needs to develop more in his game. Junior Paulo is a great example of what he should do with his game.

Yeah for sure, you'd prefer to have him based on quality. But I think that given the way they have completely mismanaged the rest of the squad, it certainly won't hurt them to lose him if he isn't going to commit to the rebuild?

Purely because they almost literally don't have a single other quality player in the squad, apart from a clearly broken Michael Morgan and a few young players with potential. It's essentially a ground up rebuild and a million dollars for a forward is going to stand in the way of that.

It'll be interesting to see what Payten can do. In some ways I don't think a rookie coach could ask for a better assignment as long as the board back him, because they have a situation where they basically want a clean slate.

Get rid of Morgan and sign Adam Reynolds.

McGuire is no loss. His useless 5th play hitups at snail pace allow the defence to put good pressure on the kicker for the next play.

Hess is not an edge forward or 80 minute player.