What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New North American Competition?

The Great Dane

First Grade
on their website it says that sports flick will broadcast their games
When they first launched their website it had a list of partners including Beinsports Australia, Sports Flick, and a couple others. That's since been replaced with 'Announcement Coming Soon'.

So I don't know what's going on there.
It gives a true national reach that has a chance of grabbing some attention.
Outside of minor stories in local media it's got no chance of grabbing any attention in the US. It would need way more hype and publicity around it for that to happen.

On the other hand, in Toronto and Ottawa there might be some relatively decent coverage considering the history and people involved.
Did all of these places even have RL even up to recently?
All of the Western conference and the DC Cavalry are totally new entities, though RL has existed in Washington DC previously.

wain

Juniors
found this article today, seems like it might have some legs to it.
Eric Perez is pretty keen on it, and he's been heavily involved over the past few years in Nth America.

Some negative vibes on FB though, including talk that much of USARL was clueless to it, which is dodgy...especially since a few teams are involved with both.

The webpages are generic and the same, including the Armadillos' page welcoming you to the Portland site :)

https://torontosun.com/sports/other...cbzUzqeUew_f0r_XPvz2Z97bVKuZ5zCMFbAwZibt5Zj7I

spinnerhowland

Juniors
Facts Only Post: The Axemen (and other FL teams) were not contacted in any way to be part of the NARL. They only learned of the existence of the NARL (and RLA as the management group) last week. I believe this is the same for all USARL teams who are not joining the NARL. I'm no longer directly involved with any of the teams in the USA, but I find it odd that the Axemen were not contacted after: Having access to what has been the best stadium in the USARL, hosted multiple National Championship games, multiple international training camps, South v Leeds in 2008, Leeds v Salford in 2009, Multiple World Cup Qualifiers, multiple Atlantic Cup tournaments, played in the National Championship game multiple times, won it three times, has the largest fan base and social media reach of all the USARL teams, consistently had the largest crowds of any team in the USA, with ticketing, concessions, etc., frequently arranged TV broadcast of games and events (both streaming and terrestrial type) and is arguably the most recognised RL team in the USA with annual merchandise sold to over 10 countries. The Axemen were also the only team in the USA who were accustomed to weekly travel prior to the conference system in 2014. Prior to that they had to fly to all away games, and thus manage travel, accom, transport, players, etc. on a weekly basis. Scratching my head why they wouldn't have been contacted? Having said that, I'm not sure they would have accepted, and am quiet sure they would have approached the other USARL teams if they had been, to keep everyone in the loop.

RedVee

First Grade
The Axemen were an obvious gap for mine. Seems odd to me.

I will ‘watch this space’ for future updates with interest.

siv

First Grade
The Axemen were an obvious gap for mine. Seems odd to me.

I will ‘watch this space’ for future updates with interest.

It does raise a question how in sync the new comp is with the exusting US comp

spinnerhowland

Juniors
I'm not sure what to make of the West Coast teams. All their social media (Twitter and Facebook) appear to be coming from a single, central source, with all the posts being the same. All the accounts were created in March, some as late as March 31. The Websites are all using the same web-design software and are all hosted by GoDaddy, again with identical formatting. All recently created as well. I've reached out to friends who are actively involved in Rugby in 4 of the Westcoast cities, and none of them have heard of these teams. No one can find any info on players, coaches, home venues, etc. It's as if they exist online only. Another issue RL has faced for many years in the USA is competent game officials, and was a constant effort to stay on top of training to an appropriate level. Will be Interesting how the NARL will overcome that challenge, on both the East and West coasts.

adamkungl

Immortal
I'm not concerned about new clubs being new. They don't have any players, coaches or home venues because they are new. That's the answer.
Suspicion is they are currently centrally owned, and will attempt to be sold off as things progress, possibly even before the season starts.
Existing clubs will likely need to take significant steps up, with most of their players, coaches and venues changing from their previous operations anyway.

Obviously finances is the biggest question, we can only really take it at face value currently that they have the backing to launch this thing, and to weather losses for a few years. If they don't, it collapses pretty quickly. I'm not sure what they would hope to achieve by publicly launching without any kind of financial backing, so for now I'm going to take it in good faith and not try to poke holes in it.

My biggest operational concern is how they will partner with, or compete with, the USARL competition and governing body. Additionally, the California group is another spanner in the works.
Some clubs are seemingly completely out of the loop, but other significant figures, clubs and players seem to have been involved for some time.
If everything adds up, its clear that this will be a step above any existing American comps. The logical, no egos, no politics solution (again, IF it all adds up) is to position the USARL and California conferences as regional second-division leagues, working alongside the NARL pro league. But Rugby League doesnt really do no-ego no-politics... so i'm interested to see how this cookie crumbles.

yakstorm

First Grade
Some of the Western Conference teams maybe centrally owned, but I don't believe all of them are and I don't think its coincidental that SF and Las Vegas both share the name of Rugby Union clubs, whilst San Diego's is very similar.

The Las Vegas Blackjacks, are arguably the main 'Rugby' club in Vegas and play in the Southern California competition plus the USA Rugby Nationals. I doubt they would just let some other entity use their name if they weren't involved somehow.

The SF Rush, is the name and colours used by the old PRO Rugby team, whilst the San Diego Swell have a very similar logo and colours to the San Diego Breakers which use to play in that same competition.

Panfas

Juniors
The Las Vegas Blackjacks, are arguably the main 'Rugby' club in Vegas and play in the Southern California competition plus the USA Rugby Nationals. I doubt they would just let some other entity use their name if they weren't involved somehow.
As far as I can see, Las Vegas Blackjacks RU no longer competes > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Las_Vegas_Blackjacks_RFC & http://scrfu.org/ . Perhaps they they are now RL?
The SF Rush, is the name and colours used by the old PRO Rugby team
Likely the franchise has reborn as a RL entity

spinnerhowland

Juniors
The NARL did not make any contact with the USARL or the Intl Rugby League, and did not submit any application to operate a RL competition. There were no plans, no prospectus, no budget or operations plans submitted for consideration or approval. From what happened in Greece recently, and in the USA ten years ago, this means the NARL are considered unsanctioned by all official Rugby League organisations. I'm unsure of actual rules and regs, but based on history in countries where this has happened, players cannot play in both a sanctioned and unsanctioned competition, players in the unsanctioned comp are ineligible for national team or other representative selection, game officials and coaches are in the same situation and not able to operate in both leagues. This may have implications for Ottawa planning on moving into the UK comp in the future, and may also be an issue with their current license. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

adamkungl

Immortal
As much as I like to see people working together, and with official organisations, there is a rising sense of dissatisfaction with how things are currently progressing which leads to "rival" competitions sprouting like the NARL and the proposed EuroXIII.

Personally I don't see these as deliberate rebellions, as such.. they aren't trying to destroy or war with the establishment, rather just want to get a move on without getting tied up in the existing limitations. Both of these proposed competitions in fact include key players from within the establishment - in the NARLs case, 3 of the existing USARL clubs and US Test players, in the E13 case, the leaders of Spain and Italys Federations are the driving force, and most of the clubs are established.

The long and short of it - the official establishment doesn't hold enough valuable cards to either entice newcomers, or to punish rebellions. For the USARL to not pick test players from the new comp (and it goes without saying that I mean IF it takes off, for everything I say here) it would be a massive own goal, shot in the footy, cutting off nose to spite face, etc.

yakstorm

First Grade
Legally, the USARL, the CRLA or IRL cannot decline the registration of a player based upon on them also participating in another sporting competition, whether that be unsanctioned or even the same sport.

They technically can't exclude said player from being considered for Representative / International selection if they do participate in their competition, however as that process is quite subjective and selecting for the 'best interests of the competition / future of the team' are legitimate reasons for selecting / not selecting a player.

They can only block clubs and officials.

It will be interesting to see if they do however.

Since the announcement clubs like Atlanta have publicly said they will be playing in both, whilst clubs like the Philadelphia Fight have named the likes of Boston, Brooklyn and White Plains as opponents for 2021.

On Ottawa, the RFL would be hard pressed to block them taking part in L1 just because they also have a team in the NARL. The RFL member agreement the club bought provides a lot more powers to Ottawa than Toronto ever had and doesn't actually prevent the club entering teams in other 'Rugby' competitions, which the likes of Leeds, Wigan and Bradford have all dabbed in before.

The RFL could, at best, stop players jumping between the two leagues during a season or force the NARL club to operate under a different name.

IMO if Ottawa don't ever play in L1, it will be because of things like ability to travel or ability to host home matches.

adamkungl

Immortal
Side note, for a week to pass without the USARL saying a single word in response to this is more than a bit odd.

Western_Eel

Juniors
I could understand why some people would be disappointed they were left out but if this thing becomes popular then it will benefit everyone.

DIEHARDTITAN

Juniors
I'm hoping that the hole in the NANRL footprint over Florida is at least designed for their future inclusion. Same with California/LA.

Jax are very respected by the Rugby League community.

deal.with.it

Juniors
I'm not sure what to make of the West Coast teams. All their social media (Twitter and Facebook) appear to be coming from a single, central source, with all the posts being the same. All the accounts were created in March, some as late as March 31. The Websites are all using the same web-design software and are all hosted by GoDaddy, again with identical formatting. All recently created as well. I've reached out to friends who are actively involved in Rugby in 4 of the Westcoast cities, and none of them have heard of these teams. No one can find any info on players, coaches, home venues, etc. It's as if they exist online only. Another issue RL has faced for many years in the USA is competent game officials, and was a constant effort to stay on top of training to an appropriate level. Will be Interesting how the NARL will overcome that challenge, on both the East and West coasts.

Match officials will be a problem.
Truth is, the USARL have long been trying to reach higher status and gain investment to create a pro league. They haven’t succeeded.
Whilst egos will likely get in the way, the NARL has been able to garner $3.4M per year for this thing. It is in both parties interests to partner. NARL needs players and officials, USARL needs a pro league to continue attracting grassroots players.

Latest posts