What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears NRL Bid.

reanimate

Bench
How have the Swans got that big ?
They’ve put in the work. They’ve schmoozed all the right people, spent big on promotion and getting the game into schools etc.

There's also been an element of luck. Getting Tony Lockett to the club back in the 90s proved to be fortuitous timing given the SL debacle about to unfold, plus the Wallabies' downhill slide in the late 2000s and early 2010s (and beyond) was again good timing for them given their 'flag' win in 2012- they've been able to win over toffs who won't touch RL to adopt the Swans as their second team.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Our crowds in our successful periods are quite comparable, which is a terrible look for the Roosters given we play in an absolute crapshack and they’ve had the SFS as their home ground until very recently.

Well that is demonstrably untrue...

The best Manly average since 1998 is 15k. Roosters have gone above 16k seven times in the same period and peaked at 19.3k

Manly’s shitty stadium is a permanent cap on crowds

MugaB

Coach

The best Manly average since 1998 is 15k. Roosters have gone above 16k seven times in the same period and peaked at 19.3k

Crowds fluxuate and roosters are inflated with the anzac day vs Many many many Dragons fans, which boosts their overall average over the years, check out the dip when they are the away side every 2nd year..
Of course its all counted but its not accurate measurement to state this club does better than another...
Broncos arguably are leading the pack, but their average in a city that is 2.5 million, isn't that good, where sydney is drawing the 15-20k average across 9 teams in a city of almost 5 million.
Mosts expansion fans say thats crap, but its compared that to a one team city that should be packing out suncorp just on population alone. Not sharing it with another 8 clubs.
As a club if broncos were part of one of the 9 Sydney clubs, hell yeah then they absolutely lead the way, but if they are all by themselves and not drawing more in a heartland city, then maybe there's call to add another 2 teams north and west in SEQ, i don't think crowd averages are measured correctly or tell the story of viability or worth of any club

reanimate

Bench

1K better in a far, far better stadium with double the capacity, yeah they’re really blowing us out of the water there.

What's the public transport to stadia like in Sydney?

I'd imagine SFS has better access than Brookvale.

Where do the Swans and Waratahs draw most of their supporters from?
If they're mainly travelling from north of the harbour then there's no reason Manly cannot play out of SFS and generate better crowds than they get at Brookvale. If they can't then that just means they have a small base of apathetic supporters who won't travel and are of no use to the NRL. If these fans chuck a hissyfit and refuse to watch RL after Manly is rebranded as North Sydney Sea Eagles or relocated to SFS then the game would be better off giving their licence to a location that will draw more fans. Give their licence to Adelaide, NZ2 or Perth and it will have far more potential to become a powerful club and increase the amount of people watching the game.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
1K better in a far, far better stadium with double the capacity, yeah they’re really blowing us out of the water there.

The key word was “above” 16k....

And that is against Manly’s BEST. Across the NRL era, they average a bit over 11k.

Seriously, the brand new stadium at Moore Park is only 20kms from Brookvale. Even if crowds only increase by 1k, thats still probably worth it.

And that is against Manly’s BEST. Across the NRL era, they average a bit over 11k.

Seriously, the brand new stadium at Moore Park is only 20kms from Brookvale. Even if crowds only increase by 1k, thats still probably worth it.
I am not familiar with Sydney, but I reckon Manly would be a bigger asset to the game by rebranding as North Sydney Sea Eagles and basing themselves out of SFS. If I was a major company I would prefer to be linked with a North Sydney Sea Eagles playing out of a world class stadium in the CBD of Australia's most lucrative city than a Manly Sea Eagles playing out of a shithole.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I am not familiar with Sydney, but I reckon Manly would be a bigger asset to the game by rebranding as North Sydney Sea Eagles and basing themselves out of SFS. If I was a major company I would prefer to be linked with a North Sydney Sea Eagles playing out of a world class stadium in the CBD of Australia's most lucrative city than a Manly Sea Eagles playing out of a shithole.

but but but suburbia and tribalism, it’s the future of the game according to Vlandys lol

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Unfortunately in the RL world “North Sydney” = Bears and “Northern anything” = Manly-Bears merge...

I think the tragedy of the end of the Manly-Bears merge was jumping all the way back the Manly Waringa (no idea how to spell this one...)

Would have been better to land in the middle with something like Northern Sydney Sea Eagles; it gets away from the merge brand without rejecting those fans entirely...

reanimate

Bench

My argument was that across our recent successful periods, our crowds have been comparable. If you averaged Manly's crowds across the '05-'14 period during our two recent premiership run, we averaged 14.3k. If you average the Roosters' crowds across their most recent '13-'19 run for three premierships, they averaged a tick over 15k.

Yes, their crowds are better overall during the NRL era, but they also didn’t deal with a merger/demerger during the NRL era and have been one of the most successful sides in the NRL era. You’d really hope given all those factors that they would be in front, something would be very wrong if they weren’t.

MugaB

Coach
My argument was that across our recent successful periods, our crowds have been comparable. If you averaged Manly's crowds across the '05-'14 period during our two recent premiership run, we averaged 14.3k. If you average the Roosters' crowds across their most recent '13-'19 run for three premierships, they averaged a tick over 15k.

Yes, their crowds are better overall during the NRL era, but they also didn’t deal with a merger/demerger during the NRL era and have been one of the most successful sides in the NRL era. You’d really hope given all those factors that they would be in front, something would be very wrong if they weren’t.
Correct, thet never had to merge.
It probably should have been Easts & Balmain, or Easts & Cronulla.
But in all seriousness Easts & Souths, although that would have become something worse than the Northern Eagles did (demise of NS)

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/nrl...to-give-up-on-nrl-return-20210410-p57i2p.html

The North Sydney Bears haven’t given up hope of returning to the NRL in some form, with the club’s chairman declaring: “We wouldn’t be doing our brand justice if we weren’t getting ourselves available for any NRL growth.”

Bears fans are still getting over the pain of being squeezed out of the top tier more than two decades ago. The foundation club exited the league in 1999, before their failed merger with Manly ended in 2003.

However, independent research shows the club still has 220,000 avid followers, a huge supporter base for an outfit now acting as the Roosters’ feeder club in the NSW Cup reserve grade competition.

While most pundits felt the Bears were content with their second-tier status, club powerbrokers say their ambition is to return to the NRL. While it is highly unlikely that will come in the form of a stand-alone entity, there could be an opportunity to partner with an existing club or one of the prospective franchises jockeying for the NRL’s 17th licence.

“I want to be the chair of an organisation that wants to be part of the NRL,” North Sydney chairman Daniel Dickson told The Sun-Herald.

“It has been 20 years [since exclusion] and our fans still feel that pain. But, as a club, absolutely, we want to have our heritage, our foundation and our brand involved in anything the NRL does moving forward. There are different opportunities and ways that could occur.

“We want to show respect to the NRL, but let them know we are here. And we’re here in a big way.”

The Bears have assembled a consortium of businesspeople prepared to invest millions of dollars to help fund a return to the NRL. Departing chief executive David Perry, who helped assemble the backers, will continue to assist the club on a voluntary basis.

“We still have very relevant backers financially and corporately that are ready and waiting for an opportunity,” Dickson said. “Whether that presents itself in someone taking on our brand, in a relocation or a 17th team ... we would be a fantastic partner.

63aa2c150e3f40878aa569af79ef35812d116e2b

“It’s about bringing the fans back into the game. The game has been starved of a lot of Bears fans who are still shattered and don’t have a team they are following.

“For me, this is an NRL piece. If we strengthen the game and bring in great heritage and following, that will be a huge generation that can be reconnected that needs to be re-engaged with.”

The potential return of the Bears, albeit in a different guise, could also result in occasional games being played at North Sydney Oval or on the Central Coast. Dickson is hoping to have discussions with the NRL before it makes a call on whether to add an expansion franchise in July.

“You need to be very strategic about how that is done,” he said. “There are very strong contenders to be that 17th side and they believe they have everything, but they are missing one thing and that is the heritage.

“They are very rich clubs, Redcliffe and so on, rich in money and local passion. But the Bears have a national brand that has been around for 113 years.

“We’ve been respectful to the game. The reason we have been quiet isn’t because we’re not doing things, it’s because we’re making sure whatever we do is right for the game and the club.

“We don’t make the decision on whether the Bears come back into the competition, but what we do ensure is that we are ready to go should an opportunity arise.

“We’re also very respectful of the game and our current relationship with the Roosters. We are very proud to be their feeder club, they have been an amazing partner of ours.”

Some of the Bears’ favourite sons – including Gary Larson, Greg Florimo, Mark Soden and current coach Jason Taylor – will be on hand to honour Tommy Raudonikis in Sunday’s Bears-Jets clash at North Sydney Oval. The occasion will also celebrate the club’s 1921 premiership-winning side.

Correct, thet never had to merge.
It probably should have been Easts & Balmain, or Easts & Cronulla.
But in all seriousness Easts & Souths, although that would have become something worse than the Northern Eagles did (demise of NS)
Parramatta Tigers.
Western Sydney Bulldogs.
North Sydney Sea Eagles
Sydney Sharks.
South Sydney Dragons
Penrith Panthers.

flippikat

Bench
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/nrl...to-give-up-on-nrl-return-20210410-p57i2p.html

The North Sydney Bears haven’t given up hope of returning to the NRL in some form, with the club’s chairman declaring: “We wouldn’t be doing our brand justice if we weren’t getting ourselves available for any NRL growth.”

As much as we speculate on scenarios that could see that brand with those colours back in the NRL, the sad truth is that they're seriously dreaming.

There will be an NRL team in red & black one day (the combination is a classic sports look, present in just about every major competition but ours), but it likely won't be the bears logo on their jerseys.