What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Star Trek to return to the small screen.

Eelectrica

Referee
Please don't stuff it up.
Budgets getting bigger and restrictions reduced and somehow they keep screwing up.

Timbo

Staff member
So, going off the first contact day panels, the order we’ll be getting the next round of Trek is:

Prodigy, season 1 soonish. It’s kids animation, so probably not for me.

Lower Decks, season 2 in mid 2021. Quietly excited about this, because season 1 was unexpectedly awesome.

Discovery, season 4 in late 2021. I’m going to give it a go, but the teaser trailer already showed clips of Burnham whisper-crying, so this may well be it for me with Disco. Also, it seems that the plot is the universe ending again and of course Discovery is the only crew that can help it. And Adira and Gray have been upgraded to main cast, because clearly, that’s what the fans want more of.

Picard season 2, early-2022. Brent Spiner and Jeri Ryan upgraded to main cast. John de Lancie back as Q - AND references to the reckoning between the Bajoran prophets and pan-wraiths during the teaser trailer. References to time being the final frontier - some sort of resolution to what happened with Sisko post-DS9? This is the one that I’m the most curious about, if they stick the landing it could be brilliant.

Strange New Worlds, season 1. This one has the potential to be anything given how damn charismatic Anson Mount was on Discovery. Will definitely give it a red hot go.

Last edited:

bileduct

Coach
Discovery can get f**ked. I won't even hate watch it.

I don't care about the cartoons.

As for Picard, I have a few issues here. Who is Brent Spiner going to play? Are they just going to punch out more Datas now the AI ban is over? Not sure how I feel about that after they effectively killed him off in season one.

I never liked Q as a character. Really not interested in seeing him come back, though I guess it does make sense.

The Sisko? Played by Avery Brooks? I am intrigued, but I thought Avery didn't really want to have anything to do with Star Trek anymore.

Looking forward to Strange New Worlds, but you just know they're gonna f**k it up somehow.

Eelectrica

Referee
Strange new Worlds seems to be the pick of the bunch.
I didn't mind Q, so I'll check out Picard S2 for sure.

I'll probably watch Discovery at some point and end up disappointed and asking why do they do that. Whatever it is they've screwed up this time.

jargan83

Coach
I had the same thought as @bileduct regarding Brent Spiner, who is he going to play given I thought they tidied up that storyline in Season 1? What happened to B4? Is he still floating about? Picard season 2 has some interesting plot teasers in the trailer we've all seen and I'm sure the producers will f**k it up.

Strange New Worlds I hope is going to epic, Anson Mount was fantastic as Pike in season 2 of Discovery.

Speaking of Discovery, I'll watch it (The wife loves Discovery) but it's hard to get exicited about it. Looks like they've gone with the season long story arc again even after I read several articles after season 3 ended that they were going to move away from season long universe destroying arcs.

Also I'm about 2/3 though season one of Lower Decks and it's actually been enjoyable so season 2 should be good.

Timbo

Staff member
Discovery can get f**ked. I won't even hate watch it.

I don't care about the cartoons.

As for Picard, I have a few issues here. Who is Brent Spiner going to play? Are they just going to punch out more Datas now the AI ban is over? Not sure how I feel about that after they effectively killed him off in season one.

I never liked Q as a character. Really not interested in seeing him come back, though I guess it does make sense.

The Sisko? Played by Avery Brooks? I am intrigued, but I thought Avery didn't really want to have anything to do with Star Trek anymore.

Looking forward to Strange New Worlds, but you just know they're gonna f**k it up somehow.

Spiner is playing the great grandson of Data’s creator. He was in the season finale of S1 in that role. Spiner kind of has a role for life in Trek at this point given they’ve established every Soong looks the same across three different series.

I doubt we’ll actually see Brooks, given he’s more or less retired from acting - and gone a bit mad - but it would be nice to get a reference to him. The Picard trailer contains references to both him, Q and in something I missed on my first watch, Khan.

I’m not opposed to them doing a greatest hits collection with Picard, but please get it right.

Oh and I would seriously recommend you given Lower Decks a go. It was actually fantastic once it got into its groove.

jargan83

Coach
Spiner is playing the great grandson of Data’s creator. He was in the season finale of S1 in that role. Spiner kind of has a role for life in Trek at this point given they’ve established every Soong looks the same across three different series.

I doubt we’ll actually see Brooks, given he’s more or less retired from acting - and gone a bit mad - but it would be nice to get a reference to him. The Picard trailer contains references to both him, Q and in something I missed on my first watch, Khan.

I’m not opposed to them doing a greatest hits collection with Picard, but please get it right.

Oh and I would seriously recommend you given Lower Decks a go. It was actually fantastic once it got into its groove.

Ahh yes I forgot Spiner was in Picard as that character.

I did not get the Khan reference so I'll have to go back and have another watch of the teaser.

Timbo

Staff member
Ahh yes I forgot Spiner was in Picard as that character.

I did not get the Khan reference so I'll have to go back and have another watch of the teaser.

It’s the book on the desk, Paradise Lost. Khan quotes it in Space Seed and Wrath of Khan, and there’s a copy of it on Ceti Alpha V when Chekhov and Terrell turn up in Wrath of Khan.

Seems too deliberate to be an accident - although, I suppose it could also be a reference to the DS9 episode named Paradise Lost which is the one where Sisko’s old captain, now an admiral, tries to take over earth via martial law.

jargan83

Coach
It’s the book on the desk, Paradise Lost. Khan quotes it in Space Seed and Wrath of Khan, and there’s a copy of it on Ceti Alpha V when Chekhov and Terrell turn up in Wrath of Khan.

Seems too deliberate to be an accident - although, I suppose it could also be a reference to the DS9 episode named Paradise Lost which is the one where Sisko’s old captain, now an admiral, tries to take over earth via martial law.

I read it as a reference to the DS9 episode, mostly because I watched the DS9 episode last week as I'm binge watching my way through DS9 at the moment.

bileduct

Coach
God I really don't care about Brent Spiner playing some demented human brother/nephew of Data. The character sucked in S1, so much that I didn't even think they'd be bringing him back to continue playing that role.

If Brooks isn't going to be part of it then I don't want to know anything about The Sisko. As Timbo said, this series in particular is really turning out to be a greatest hits collection, and I don't want to see the best Star Trek character mined just to provide cheap fan service moments that will keep people subscribed to a shitty streaming service.

Also, it's not that I don't do Star Trek cartoons, I just don't do cartoons in general.

bileduct

Coach
After thinking about it for a while I guess it does make sense that Q comes back, and the Picard series is the perfect place to do it. He pretty much bookends the entire TNG series, and his final scene in All Good Things... does leave a dangling plot thread involving Picard. Plus with Guinan returning I guess they are finally going to explore her history with Q prior to becoming a bar attendant on the big D.

Still not a fan of the character though.

Last edited:

jargan83

Coach
Trailer for Season 2 of Picard has dropped this morning

Q makes an appearance in the trailer

Timbo

Staff member
Trailer for Season 2 of Picard has dropped this morning

Q makes an appearance in the trailer
Looks interesting.

Theme of ‘the road not taken’ - then showing Picard still an admiral, Seven never assimilated, Rios still in Starfleet, etc.

Could this be ‘Tapestry’ but for the entire cast?

jargan83

Coach
Picard was aware of him potentially changing the timeline in Tapestry and it looked like the cast was aware of the changes in the timeline so you could be right.

I look forward to seeing how the producers of modern Trek ruin this.

Timbo

Staff member
Season 2 of Lower Decks is really good so far.

I don't know how a show which is so silly manages to be as good whilst being respectful to Trek canon as it is, but somehow it manages it.

I heard yesterday they've wrapped season 2 of Picard and already on to season 3. I'm getting quietly excited about this, maybe I'm just getting nostalgic but I'm keen to see Picard and Q go toe-to-toe again on screen.

Timbo

Staff member
Strange New Worlds - Cast and character announcement.

I’m excited about this show but there are a few things about this cast
Uhura? Why is she on the ship? And an officer named Noonien-Singh? Given Kirk and Spock had never heard the name during Space Seed isn’t this a massive continuity error?

I’m mainly just annoyed because this seems like fan service. Not everything has to be a wink at the audience.

bileduct

Coach
Strange New Worlds - Cast and character announcement.

I’m excited about this show but there are a few things about this cast
Uhura? Why is she on the ship? And an officer named Noonien-Singh? Given Kirk and Spock had never heard the name during Space Seed isn’t this a massive continuity error?

I’m mainly just annoyed because this seems like fan service. Not everything has to be a wink at the audience.

Are you sure it's Noonien-Singh and not Noonian Soong?

Edit: Ok I just flicked through the video and it looks like it is Noonien-Singh assuming those are official promo images. Unless Noonien-Singh is the Smith of the 23rd century, yeah, that's a bit sus. Maybe there's an episode where she gets spaced and Spock has to tell everyone it's treason to talk about her from that point onward.

And yeah, Uhura, what is up with that. It's as if the people making these shows are acutely aware that continuity is incredibly important to the more hardcore Star Trek fans and just want to f**k with them.

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
Also ‘The Cage’ establishes that the helmsman under Pike was a Lt. Jose Tyler and the CMO was a Dr Phil Boyce, who was then followed by a Dr Mark Piper for the first few episodes of The Original Series before McCoy becomes the doctor.

Dr M’Benga was the deputy CMO under McCoy - he’s present in a few episodes where McCoy is incapacitated and has to act as the doctor.

Why would he be the ships doctor under Pike only to return three doctors later and be the deputy?

Latest posts