What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The big NRL divide

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Problem with the Dogs is now Cotric is on the wing is that where he stays? Cotric and JAC so much money going into wingers again could be salary cap being spent unwisely, hope I'm wrong.

I mean I pointed this out last season that Cotric at this point in his career is a lot better as a winger than a centre. This might change with time. God knows the million years we spent with Jack being inconsistent in the spine to pay off with him being well.... still inconsistent but better shows that persistence can pay off

But on the flip side and I got criticised by bulldogs fans for this last year i think winger is a lot more important than centre. Bellamy has two garbage bins with faces painted on them in the centres (thats a little harsh on Olam who is just massively rocks and diamonds) and Melbourne are doing alright where modern teams expect huge yardage out of the wings comparable to a prop. I wouldn't sink huge amounts of money into wing because there are always wingers coming through. Its the most "athlete" position in the game but its still got a lot of value.

Although all that said why cant we come up with some speedsters

The_Frog

First Grade
Problem with the Dogs is now Cotric is on the wing is that where he stays? Cotric and JAC so much money going into wingers again could be salary cap being spent unwisely, hope I'm wrong.
Good player Cotric, going to the Dogs no doubt fattened his bank account but was a very foolish career move all the same. He was about their only threat against us in round 2 but hardly sighted last two games.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Good player Cotric, going to the Dogs no doubt fattened his bank account but was a very foolish career move all the same. He was about their only threat against us in round 2 but hardly sighted last two games.

Its a tough one for outside backs because they are so flashy struggling sides come in hard for them but they don't really swing games. Especially not at centre.

I think if they just parked him on the wing, let him do kick returns, score tries (in theory this is the bulldogs we are talking about) and bust tackles he would be a bit of a cult hero but not the type of guy who swings games.

He plays very similar to Brian To'o. I would suspect you guys are paying To'o quite a bit less for much better output in 2021

The_Frog

First Grade
He plays very similar to Brian To'o. I would suspect you guys are paying To'o quite a bit less for much better output in 2021
Yeah I think Brian is still on a rookie deal. He'll be upgraded substantially next one you'd imagine.

Dogs Of War

Coach

Cotric is being played on the wrong side of the field. Even worse, with JAC coming next year, he is playing wing in JAC's spot. Cotric needs to be able to use his left fend. But with Hoppa who really shouldn't be at the Dogs next year playing on that side currently, I'd be happy with him playing outside Hoppa but better yet, replace Hoppa and see how he goes on his preferred side of the field.

THat said, the whole team has no confidence, so it's hard to expect a lot.

MugaB

Coach
Cotric is being played on the wrong side of the field. Even worse, with JAC coming next year, he is playing wing in JAC's spot. Cotric needs to be able to use his left fend. But with Hoppa who really shouldn't be at the Dogs next year playing on that side currently, I'd be happy with him playing outside Hoppa but better yet, replace Hoppa and see how he goes on his preferred side of the field.

THat said, the whole team has no confidence, so it's hard to expect a lot.
You'll be alright, you'll have Matt Burton next year, under a new coach possibly, he'll flourish, just gotta stick it out with Flanagan, he can play well if he has a great 6 next to him to take some of the load off him, and Dogs just need a foward pack to give these halves some space, at the moment they're getting owned, maybe better money needed to go to there fowards not flashy backs

Dogs Of War

Coach
‘member the dogs and sharks fans who thought everyone else was salty for saying that Cotric wouldn’t solve the Dogs’ problems?

SBD ‘members.

You have no idea how bad our backline was. I think we have the backs covered now, well enough that they are fine for 22. THe main thing we need is a hooker and some props with go forward. At this point I would like the Dogs to take McGuire off the Cowboys. You only need to compare his stats in the games he has played this year, and the stats of the Dogs prop rotation to see he is heads above what they are putting in. And really it would only be for 1.5 years to get us through this period, while we try and sort out some youth to put behind them.

big hit!

Bench
You have no idea how bad our backline was. I think we have the backs covered now, well enough that they are fine for 22. THe main thing we need is a hooker and some props with go forward. At this point I would like the Dogs to take McGuire off the Cowboys. You only need to compare his stats in the games he has played this year, and the stats of the Dogs prop rotation to see he is heads above what they are putting in. And really it would only be for 1.5 years to get us through this period, while we try and sort out some youth to put behind them.

McGuire isn't a starting prop. undersized for the early exchanges. Still don't understand why they bought Thompson either. Once again, too small to be a starting prop. Need Napa and Hetherington to step up.

that bad backline you mention was bought too, so Dogs have no one to blame but themselves, as well as the cap difficulties they found themselves in. With the continuous changes in board & exec (seemingly going back to past), football dept, there isn't a medium to long-term strategy that's being adhered to in their recruiting. it seems to be torn up by the next group in.

and Barrett - the guy couldn't wait for a head coach job and just jumped at the first one available. I know it's poorly performing clubs that tend to look for new head coaches, however given the issues in front office, Bulldogs would've been the one to steer clear of. His future head coach ambitions could be on life support after this stint.

and Barrett - the guy couldn't wait for a head coach job and just jumped at the first one available. I know it's poorly performing clubs that tend to look for new head coaches, however given the issues in front office, Bulldogs would've been the one to steer clear of. His future head coach ambitions could be on life support after this stint.

Mate if Barrett doesn't make a decent fist of it at the Bulldogs his future head coaching chances would be nil as it would be shown he could not right the ship of either Canterbury or Manly.

Last edited:

Dogs Of War

Coach
McGuire isn't a starting prop. undersized for the early exchanges. Still don't understand why they bought Thompson either. Once again, too small to be a starting prop. Need Napa and Hetherington to step up.

that bad backline you mention was bought too, so Dogs have no one to blame but themselves, as well as the cap difficulties they found themselves in. With the continuous changes in board & exec (seemingly going back to past), football dept, there isn't a medium to long-term strategy that's being adhered to in their recruiting. it seems to be torn up by the next group in.

I see there being a strategy, might just be beyond you. Get out of Salary Cap hell and a lesson learnt that you don't let coaches dictate who gets paid what. Yeah some poor choices bringing in guys like Napa who everybody could tell wasn't going to be the one to lead the pack. McGuire is fine for what he does. As I pointed out, look at his stats compared to our currently prop rotation, McGuires output is nearly what all 3 Bulldogs props have put in this year per game. Game might be passing him by, but beggars can't be choosers with very slim pickings to actually change your squad during the season or even attempt to get quality props for next season. As for Thompson, lets see how he goes this season rather than compare him coming across in lockdown mid season to play. Really the Dogs focus should be on fixing our pathways so you have that quality coming through. Something that went out when Des came in. It's not rocket science, but it will take a while to get all cylinders firing. But once you get a few going, it will soon become an attractive destination again.

Bazal

Post Whore
Its a tough one for outside backs because they are so flashy struggling sides come in hard for them but they don't really swing games. Especially not at centre.

I think if they just parked him on the wing, let him do kick returns, score tries (in theory this is the bulldogs we are talking about) and bust tackles he would be a bit of a cult hero but not the type of guy who swings games.

Wingers also get more ball. Given the Dogs predicament you'd want a guy like Cotric getting as much footy as he can

Mate if Barrett doesn't make a decent fist of it at the Bulldogs his future head coaching chances would be nil as it would be shown he could not right the ship of either Canterbury or Manly.

He would probably get a gig in England based on his name power but this job is make or break for him in the nrl.

MugaB

Coach
I don't think Barrett is to blame for any of those two clubs, not even sure Des is either, but one thing IS for sure is they have to get aome cohesion in their juniors and stop buying quick fixes, or "star players" i have no doubt barret will get the dogs back on track in a year or so, but how long b4 the knife in the back comes from the board, or blame for long contracts/dud buys etc
They need forwards, hetro is a great pick up, but thats all they got and he has a history of stints on the sidelines, i don't rate anyone else there that can match any other teams forward pack

typicalfan

Coach
I mean I pointed this out last season that Cotric at this point in his career is a lot better as a winger than a centre. This might change with time. God knows the million years we spent with Jack being inconsistent in the spine to pay off with him being well.... still inconsistent but better shows that persistence can pay off

But on the flip side and I got criticised by bulldogs fans for this last year i think winger is a lot more important than centre. Bellamy has two garbage bins with faces painted on them in the centres (thats a little harsh on Olam who is just massively rocks and diamonds) and Melbourne are doing alright where modern teams expect huge yardage out of the wings comparable to a prop. I wouldn't sink huge amounts of money into wing because there are always wingers coming through. Its the most "athlete" position in the game but its still got a lot of value.

Although all that said why cant we come up with some speedsters
He struggles reading the defense and his first contact us inconsistent at centre, a bit like Corey Oates, Val Holmes if you are killing it on the wing, stay on the wing, Cotric is only opening the door for other wingers to jump him in the pecking order.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes it also need National Reserve Grade

that’s the biggie for me, clubs will whinge about the cost but they have of the $3mill grant not being spent on first grade salaries.

NRL
Nrl Reserve grade
Nrl Under 20’s
NRLW

Nrl Premiership comp for ambitious places that can’t get in nrl

state based comps (U18’s U16’s linked to nrl clubs in those states)

of course nswrl and qrl would never allow it though

Latest posts