What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News RiP Tommy Raudonikis

davi

Juniors
That 1996 season in review video someone uploaded to YouTube includes a news report of Tommy on the back of a truck on Queen Street drumming up support for the next Magpies home game. The coach doing it. To me he was Wests in the mid to late 90s, heart and soul of the joint.

The thing is what's mostly missed. Is that when Wests and Balmain merged that both Wayne Pearce the coach of the Tigers and Tommy coach of the Magpies went for the coaching job. The board chose Pearce. Pearce said Tommy was fantastic and so gracious. And Tommy agreed to stay on in a role to consult with Pearce on the team true to form as the gentlemen he was.

I’m just about to get on a flight - looking forward to a holiday - read this news in the press.

At the airport and almost shedding tears. I always loved Tommy but only now I realise how much a guy like him meant to much to me and my love for the game.

If anything is positive about this, I’m hoping all the great feats n stories of Tommy will flow through the press in the coming days. So those who never really saw him or knew of him (other than the odd anecdote) will get an understanding of why he was so revered and loved... not just by the fans of the teams he played (fought) for... but league fans as a whole.

RIP.

The_Frog

First Grade
The thing is what's mostly missed. Is that when Wests and Balmain merged that both Wayne Pearce the coach of the Tigers and Tommy coach of the Magpies went for the coaching job. The board chose Pearce. Pearce said Tommy was fantastic and so gracious. And Tommy agreed to stay on in a role to consult with Pearce on the team true to form as the gentlemen he was.
Balmain had control of the joint venture early on. Pearce wasn't a coach's bootlace.

davi

Juniors
Balmain had control of the joint venture early on. Pearce wasn't a coach's bootlace.

Fair point. West's did come last the season before (1999) which would have definitely hurt Tommy's chances. Whether it was fair or not is another question.

taipan

Referee
Could never spell Tommy's surname, but I remember his gutsy efforts playing the code he loved.
The sort of guy in battle you'd have in the trenches and he'd give his all to the end.
Sadly that end has arrived.
Always remembered, never forgotten, a true champion of the code.A little cheeky, just the way we like Aussie larrikins.
RIP Tommy .

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Im saddened to hear the passing of a great legend of the game. Tommy was certainly one of the great characters and will certainly be missed by everyone. Its hard to say the right words given the news just hit this morning. I knew he wasnt well and even Tommy himself thought he wouldnt make it past 70 but thankfully he did and fought the battle right towards the end.

I'm too young to see Tommy play but heard so many great stories of his playing days for Wests and Newtown. He was a Rothmans Medal winner, captained Australia and NSW. So many great acheivements but he's known for his toughness. Roy Masters said in an interview how he used to rev the team up for a big game, especially against Manly at Lidcombe Oval.

Even did the same at Newtown, took them to a Grand Final appearance and came so close to winning a comp.

Before he coached Wests and NSW, he coached Ipswich for a period which featured a young Alan Langer.

I was lucky enough to get an autograph off Tommy at a Wests pre season launch back in 95 when he first coached. He did well for them too, took them to the finals in 96

We cant forget his coaching stint for NSW, the cattledog call is part of history, not so good for Joey haha but Tommy would him to get back out there even if his mouth was bleeding.

I loved his passion for NSW, even if he was living in Queensland, he said by Origin time, his friends and neighours are enemies.

He even told his NSW players to not interact with the Queenslanders on a night out in Sydney.

Still regardless if they played for Queensland and/or Manly, he was still great mates with a lot of them.

I'm sure he's up there now reuniting with his great mates, Artie Beetson and Noel Kelly.

RIP Tommy. We'll miss you.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
RIP Tommy, true legend of our game

always remember his warm up routine

IQT_26-09-2015_NEWS_05_SLAP_t1880.jpg

Latest posts