What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News RiP Tommy Raudonikis

The following article was published on the Nine Sports website (source: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/tommy-...-s-brutal-joey-spray-after--cattledog-_070421)

EXCLUSIVE: Andrew Johns on the Tommy Raudonikis spray he copped after 'Cattledog' brawl
By Tim Elbra
an hour ago

Andrew Johns' top lip used to quiver whenever he was around Tommy Raudonikis.

Thanks to the Cattledog.

Johns first met Raudonikis, the rugby league icon who just died at age 70, at the start of NSW's State of Origin camp in 1997. He was every bit the larrikin legend Johns expected, yet he was also more.

"My first impression was, 'He's hilarious', but then after a couple of days, I was like, 'Well, mate, he's no dill'. Footy-wise, he knew his stuff and he was always doing crosswords," Johns told Wide World of Sports.

"It was quite surprising, really. Sometimes over beers you'd have conversations about certain things and he wasn't a dill ... but there was always that old-school fire and brimstone underneath it."

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fd6a5da92-9c61-4bb0-a4cf-fe7414aac260

Tommy Raudonikis coaching the NSW Blues in 1997. (Getty)
The Blues bonding sessions, unsurprisingly, were epic. The coach, rather than telling his players to go to bed, was best-and-fairest on the pub crawl.

"It was with Tommy and the world was a different place and it was the years before mobile phones," Johns said.

"It would start at the Coogee Bay Hotel and then it would all sort of go into a bit of a haze. There was always something happening around Tommy.

"He was front and centre, he was leading the charge. If your coach is leading the charge, then you've gotta go with him.

"He was hilarious. Just funny. He loved the game, he loved the characters in the game. His stories about when they were on tour and things they used to do at Wests ... he'd always have a story. He and Arthur were really close, Arthur Beetson. He was a great storyteller."

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F37c90914-32ba-400c-8400-8d580cb2ad71

Andrew Johns at the start of his NSW State of Origin career. (Getty)
Unbeknownst to Johns, he was about to carve out an all-time State of Origin story of his own, thanks to Tommy. An unwanted piece of folklore.

Despite the fact that NSW had already won that 1997 Origin series, leading 2-0 heading into the final game at the Sydney Football Stadium, Raudonikis wasn't satisfied. A man who truly hated Queensland, Tommy wanted a clean sweep that left the Maroons beaten and battered, in more ways than one.

He asked his players to come up with a codeword for putting on a colossal all-in brawl. Jim Dymock came up with 'Cattledog'.

Tommy lasted a whole eight minutes before he screamed 'Cattledog' from the sidelines. A scrum was packing and the stink was on. Mark Carroll licked his lips. Steve Menzies visibly groaned.

Johns had the misfortune of lining up against Jamie Goddard, with the superstar halfback playing out of position at hooker. Their first scuffle was broken up without incident but when Johns went after the Maroons No.9 again ... ouch.

As Tommy later told The Footy Show: "He went into the fight, chased Jamie Goddard and Jamie Goddard turned around and went BANG ... put Joey Johns straight on to his arse."

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F4f29dffc-9985-4dbb-8ad6-332b4f6afc26

Andrew Johns is punched out by Jamie Goddard during the 'Cattledog' brawl in Origin III, 1997. (Nine)
Johns told Wide World of Sports: "The Cattledog happened and then I get fed by Jamie Goddard, well and truly fed.

"Then I'm on the doctor's bench and he ended up putting in 31 stitches, he split me from my lip up to my nose. I'm laying on the doctor's bed just thinking, 'Oh, no ... I'll never live this down'.

"And then all of a sudden, I smell this ... it's like a smell of Winnie Reds and garlic and Tooheys New all rolled into one and then Tommy's there just going, 'You let me down, you weak c---. Get back out there'.

"I'm like, 'Look at me, mate! I've f---ing got all these stitches, I've just been punched out and you're going to say, You let me down you weak c---, get back out there?!'

"But how do you say no to Tommy? I went back out."

Johns may be an Immortal but no, he has never entirely lived down the Cattledog stink. Tommy made sure of that.

"Every time I used to see him ... he never called me Joey. He used to call me Skippy," Johns said.

"I remember saying, 'Mate, it's Joey, it's not Skippy'. He said, 'Ah, f--- ya, it's got something to do with a Kangaroo'.

"He was the only one who called me Skippy, so I'd be walking through a function or something and I'd hear, 'Yeah, Skippy! Cattledog! Cattledog!'

"My lip would start quivering, where I had all those stitches."

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Feb703eb4-e3ff-4ff4-8f5d-6fbe51ef4e1a

Tommy Raudonikis during the 1997 State of Origin series. (Getty)
Before he was a colourful coach, Raudonikis was a ferocious player. As a little halfback in the brutal 70s-80s era, he had to be madder and tougher than the rest to make his mark; which he did to the tune of 60 games for Australia. He was also NSW's inaugural State of Origin captain.

Johns is eternally grateful that he never had to play against Tommy.

"No, no, no. I don't even want to think about it," Johns said.

"That old story we've heard so many times about when they went away on a Kangaroo tour and Steve Mortimer's the young upstart coming through.

"They put Tommy and Steve Mortimer [rooming] together and Tommy's the No.1 halfback. He goes up and there's a double bed and a single bed.

"Steve Mortimer's got his bags on the double bed, so Tommy just walked in, grabbed them and threw them out the window. Just classic stuff. He was a great player and a great character.

"They broke the mould when they made Tommy and there'll never be anyone like him again. He was just always fun to be around."

yakstorm

First Grade
Tommy will never be considered a great coach, but he certainly stepped up when both the Magpies and NSW needed him.

When he came into Wests in 95, the club had an ageing roster and not much money (he helped build the club's first gym himself), yet he somehow got them within two wins of the 8 in his first year, into the Finals in 96 and then within a game in 97 (that loss to South Queensland still haunts me today).

In 98 & 99, the club simply didn't have the money to buy any decent players and it showed in the results, but to Tommy's credit he never stopped trying for the club.

RIP Tommy, you will be missed.

The following excerpt is from an article piublished by Fox sports (source: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/6124bfc0751c9c326e76c54daa76221b) -

18 BEERS, A FIRE AND A WHACK IN THE GUTS

While playing for the Newtown Jets, Raudonikis was doing some boxing training with iconic trainer Johnny Lewis. He also dabbled in the management side of things, representing an up and comer at the time, Jeff Malcolm.

Back in 1980, Malcolm had an exhibition fight in Wagga on the same day as Raudonikis’ game for the Jets back in 1980 so the pair organised for a mini van to take them from Henson Park straight to Bankstown Airport to board a four-seater chartered flight.

A few years ago, Paul Kent told the story of Raudonikis’ day of drinks, smokes, a fire and an almighty whack to the guts.

“Tommy walked straight through the dressing room, grabbed his bag, jumped straight into the Tarago and they’re on their way to Bankstown,” Kent told Triple M.

“He’s still got his boots, jumper, shorts on, mud all over him and as they’re flying through traffic cutting in and out, Tommy’s yelled out ‘stop the car, stop the car.’ The driver’s panicked and hit the breaks, Tommy’s jumped out of the car, ran into the bottle shop and came out with a carton of Tooheys.”

The duo finally arrive to the airport where another boxer — a very well-dressed one — Paul Ferrari was waiting. He had no idea who Raudonikis was.

“He’s looked at Tommy like the monster from the Green Lagoon has jumped out,” Kent said.

Unfortunately for the group, the pilot was a rookie and could only take them to Bathurst, where they’d have to board another flight... they begin their trip anyways.

“Tommy starts getting on the drinks. He likes to have a smoke when he has a beer so Tommy starts lighting up cigarettes on this little plane,” Kent said.

“The pilot starts to panic because he can smell smoke — he has no idea that Tommy’s behind him — so he starts checking all the instruments and he suddenly turns around to ask if anyone was smoking.

“Tommy hides his smoke down beside him and said ‘nah mate.’ But as Tommy was talking — this is back in the days when carpet went up the wall in planes — he set the carpet on fire and flames started to come off the carpet.”

Ferrari jumped up and put out the fire, but Raudonikis was more upset that he wasted a beer.

They arrived to Bathurst only to find out the new pilot isn’t licenced to take them to Wagga either, so they reboard with the rookie pilot — after convincing him — and off they went.

“As they’re flying, Tommy’s still drinking the cans and there’s no toilet on the plane. He solves that problem though,” Kent said.

“So he stands up and as he’s bouncing around in the aisle he’s got an empty can in front of him and he’s trying to sort himself out.

“There ends up being a little offshoot to the side all over Ferrari. He gets up wanting to kill Tommy because he just peed all over him, Malcolm had to separate them so this fight was mid-air on a four-seater.”

They finally arrive at Wagga but by the time they get to the exhibition fight, Malcolm’s opponent was sick of waiting around and had left.

So what do they do?

“Tommy — who is about 18 cans into his day after playing footy — says ‘I’ll spar him’,” Kent said.

Malcolm was hesitant and asked Lewis what he should do. Lewis just told him “you know what, he’s made this trip a misery, I’ve had a gutful of him, whack him in the guts.’

And so he did.

“Jeff Malcolm hit Tommy nice and low... and this big foam shot across the ring and Tommy’s hit the deck,” Kent said.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
A great character of the field but much more than that.

He played 20 tests for Australia and was an Australian captain. There were half backs in his era that were more talented than him but he made up for his deficits in ticker, determination and a win or die attitude.

He played his career at clubs that were battlers and he made them better and competitors. He didn't win a premiership but he didn't chase one either.

I hope no one gets offended at this as its meant as a tribute: He had a weird name, he was a Mediterranean Descendant! He was a trailblazer for immigrants to take up the game when it very much reflected the Anglo dominated society Australia was.

He was a fighter. Cancer took him in the end but he had fought and beat it before.

I remember when his 15 year old grandson died a few years ago and his heartfelt grief showed what a truly great man he was.

A true legend of the game and his country.

Generalzod

Immortal
A great character of the field but much more than that.

He played 20 tests for Australia and was an Australian captain. There were half backs in his era that were more talented than him but he made up for his deficits in ticker, determination and a win or die attitude.

He played his career at clubs that were battlers and he made them better and competitors. He didn't win a premiership but he didn't chase one either.

I hope no one gets offended at this as its meant as a tribute: He had a weird name, he was a Mediterranean Descendant! He was a trailblazer for immigrants to take up the game when it very much reflected the Anglo dominated society Australia was.

He was a fighter. Cancer took him in the end but he had fought and beat it before.

I remember when his 15 year old grandson died a few years ago and his heartfelt grief showed what a truly great man he was.

A true legend of the game and his country.
Actually I thought he was Mediterranean descent he had a Greek sounding last name, but he was of Lithuanian descent...

horrie hastings

First Grade
There is just no characters in the game these days like Tommy, no matter what team you followed you always liked Tommy.

RIP.

Funny i remember a game between NSW vs QLD back in 1977, it was the 2nd in the series and a young Steve Mortimer made his debut to rep footy and it pushed Tommy back as a reserve, Mortimer didn't have a great debut and QLD were leading 13-2 and Mortimer was replaced by Tommy, Mortimer came off in tears, Tommy came on and started a fight which unsettled QLD, he also scored a try and NSW won 14-13.

Nice comments by Matthew Johns about Mr Raudonikis on Fox Sports website (source: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/eea023da08c2b0b9e789d68c00b64da1) -

‘More to him than blood and bone’: Matty Johns on the side of Tommy we must never forget

NRL PREMIERSHIP
  • April 7, 2021 2:27pm
  • JAMES HOOPER
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
a3bd43204308d72c60f32dc3e15d1263

Matty Johns has led the tributes for rugby league larrikin Tommy Raudonikis by labelling the champion halfback one of the greatest competitors Australian sport has ever seen.

Johns was part of the famous NSW State of Origin camps when Raudonikis coached the Blues in 1996 and 1997 – the birthplace of the infamous “Cattledog” war cry.

“I reckon he’ll be remembered as one of the greatest competitors who ever played sport in Australia – not just rugby league – but all sports,” Johns said.

“And one of the greatest ever characters.

“When you go into rep camps sometimes some blokes get there and they over-coach.

“The genius thing about Tommy was his simplicity.

“We had a side with Joey, Laurie, Freddy and Lazzo.

“Tommy would simply say “Boys, you know what you’re doing, just go out there and smash them.

“Get into them and get into it.

“The other great thing about Tommy - I’d never had so much fun as going into Country Origin camps or State of Origin camps with Tommy.”

The minor semi-final between Newtown and Manly at the SCG in 1981 will always be celebrated as one of the most brutal rugby league games of the last 40 years.

Raudonikis was front and centre as the captain of Newtown and led the Jets to an epic win.

The Jets went on to make the 1981 grand final.

“Tommy early in the game went after all of the Sea Eagles tough guys. Just tore into them,” Johns said.

“It set the tone. And they won the semi-final.

“In that Newtown side that year Tommy taught those blokes how to win.

“The real standout for me was watching Newtown go from a struggling side to a team who almost won the comp.

“It was just incredible and the driving force was Tommy.

“The thing about it is he’ll always be remembered as this tough, hard competitor - which he absolutely was.

“But he was also a damned good footballer. He had great footwork, challenged the line all the time, I think sometimes we forget that side of his game because we talk so much about him as a competitor.

“There was more to his game than just blood and bone.”

The first recollection Johns has of Raudonikis was when the Western Suburbs and Newtown champion came to Cessnock to play a trial game for the Jets.

“I remember when Dad coached Cessnock in 1980 and 1981 Cessnock had a sister club relationship with Newtown.

“So Newtown came to town to play a trial game and Tommy was in that team.

“The next day they had a barbecue and drink at Tyrell’s vineyard and I remember being a kid and going there and standing next to my Dad and listening to “Tommy tell story after story after story and just being in awe.

“Everyone stood there for two hours just listening to Tommy’s stories.”

horrie hastings

First Grade
My father in law and I will pull out the old 1981 gf DVD and give it a whirl.

We always joke the alternative ending is in the DVD extras section.

Then he ruefully admits Tommy was the greatest player never to win a comp.

That was truly a great Grand Final, so glad I was there to experience it. I often look at Tommy’s try though and the head on shot show Greg Hartley actually getting in the way of Peter Sterling making an effective tackle on Tommy, he may have still scored, who knows but Greg Hartley still rearing his ugly head in 1981 but anyway it didn’t detract from what was a great Grand Final.

Latest posts