What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Comic Book Film Thread *** SPOILERS ***

shiznit

Coach

RLM actually liked it... except for the epilogue.

Interesting that the 4:3 presentation doesn't actually cut anything out as far as the picture goes. Everything that is in the widescreen theatrical release is there, there's just more at the top and bottom. You could take a 4K version of the Snyder Cut and do a zoom and crop to create a 1080p widescreen version without any distortion at all, which I am sure someone will do soon.

not a big deal to me normally... but because they didn’t cut anything out it’s even less of an issue here.

I honestly only notice it when they change aspect ratio mid film... ie in Wandavision recently.

what I don’t like is what Peter Jackson did with the Hobbit films... doing it in 60FPS.

bileduct

Coach
not a big deal to me normally... but because they didn’t cut anything out it’s even less of an issue here.

I honestly only notice it when they change aspect ratio mid film... ie in Wandavision recently.

what I don’t like is what Peter Jackson did with the Hobbit films... doing it in 60FPS.
I didn't have an issue with it either, and initially I was just curious as to why Snyder chose to present it in that format.

However most 4:3 presentations of cinematic releases are pan and scan, meaning information is cropped at the sides. That's not the case here. So all of the people that are bitching about all of the empty space on their widescreen TVs can look forward to the inevitable zoom and crop some anon is going to put out to get the full use of their screens. And it will still look like a completely professional release.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...-movie-since-the-dark-knight/?sh=4b54fba7f527

6R1Q84ZpxJ.png

shiznit

Coach
There's a big push to continue the Snydeverse and with the hype around the JL release WB just might consider doing it

big push by the same dorks who lucked out with time warner who desperately needed content for HBO Max to be competitive in the streaming wars.

I don’t think there’s much of a chance WB green lights the rest of the Snyderverse...

giving Snyder 30-40M to complete a film he already shot is a different story to giving him 300-400M to make an entirely new film.

The reality is Snyder’s films actually got beaten by wonder woman and Aquaman’s solo films both at the box office and critically so there’s no incentive for WB to keep going with Snyder.

I think they have a plan for the DC properties they think will work.

Last edited:

Matua

Bench
There's a big push to continue the Snydeverse and with the hype around the JL release WB just might consider doing it
There's no way WB let Snyder make a universe of 4 hour movies. And as shiznit notes his actual films aren't that successful at the box office.

Maybe he gets more 4 hour tv streamer movies, but he will have to work with less of a budget, and I can't imagine how bad the visual effects would be considering how bad they are in his movies.

shiznit

Coach
There's no way WB let Snyder make a universe of 4 hour movies. And as shiznit notes his actual films aren't that successful at the box office.

Maybe he gets more 4 hour tv streamer movies, but he will have to work with less of a budget, and I can't imagine how bad the visual effects would be considering how bad they are in his movies.

yeah giving 30-40M to finish off a film you’ve already put in the can is a hell of a lot different to giving 200-400M to make an entire film.

TBH you’d have a better chance of getting a director’s cut of the original Suicide Squad... although David Ayer doesn’t sound like he cares all that much about it...

vvvrulz

Coach
Overally I'd give ZS Justice League about a 7/10 while I gave Josstice League about a 6.

The theatrical was your usual boilerplate, run-of-the-mill, forgettable comic book romp that Marvel have thrived on and although that cut was all over the show, I put it down at the time to just bad filmmaking which even Marvel can be guilty of. It's not a DC vs Marvel thing, they also have some perfectly average movies I can barely remember anything about, Thor 2 anyone?

When this came out, what really stood out most to me was the fascinating story behind it all; they cut out a LOT of material, basically an entire movie, and recut it to something you can barely even call the same move. That's been fascinating viewing experience, and there's never been an example of that in this sort of scale, maybe it will start a trend?

ZSJS is a superior movie, by some distance, but it's short of a great movie. This time the tone is consistent, the movie invests in it's characters, and some of the visuals are actually quite spectacular. Although the plot was basically a rehash of Avengers IF, I was invested in the movie and keen to see it through, run time didn't bother me.

But it also has it's usual Zack Snyder problems of missing a human touch and soaking for too long in it's loud, dreary and joyless mood. Nowhere as bad as BvS but definitely cut from the same cloth. That's where Whedon got it wrong though,goofy and quippy isn't the answer least of all for this movie; TDK is a good example of taking serious material and applying to realistic human characters. The epilogue is just a giant wank.

I'm glad we got the chance to see it, this was an interesting exercise in how 'movie by committee' can drastically alter film making.

shiznit

Coach
Really enjoying the direction falcon and the winter soldier is heading...

The stuff with Isaiah which I think will lead on to an interesting storyline.

even John Walker... as much as I yell ‘you ain’t cap motherf**ker’.. I like that they humanised him a little bit... but there’s still that dickhead arrogance about him that screams he ain’t cap. It’s blurring the lines.

From all the promos I think Sam will end up with the shield... but I think the Isiah thing will end up with Sam becoming a Super Soldier.

also building the story off the back off the real world consequences of the blip... which seriously makes sense.

I mean when we watched endgame we were just happy to see all the superheroes back and in one giant finale... but the reality of the earths population doubling overnight and all the individual issues it would cause is really interesting IMO...

And we still got Zemo to come...

I like seeing the issues Bucky has had... even Steve struggled to adjust to life so considering Bucky is from the same time period but has all that Winter Soldier baggage he needs to get to grips with... He really should be a mess... I reckon he may well end up back in Wakanda.

I do think that the therapy session with both of them was pretty forced though... they don’t need to force it as they have good chemistry already.

Last edited:

Matua

Bench
I finally finished Zack Snyders Justice League - 11 days after I started. Garbage. no better than the cinema version, just longer.

I remember commenting on the bad effects in the trailer (and accidentally quoting a post about a Marvel product by mistake) and thinking I hope they weren't the finished product. Well, they were. I've seen more realistic looking animation than this film, hell the Star Wars prequels have equivalent standards of CGI.

Ray Fisher was actually terrible. I think Whedon cut him for performance reasons and not racism or any other reason Fisher is throwing against the wall. Although his performance could be down to the bad mo-cap effects version - would need to see Andy Serkis in the role for a comparison.

Most of the rest of the actors are good. They just need to be in films with better directors.

I'm the opposite of Bileduct, this is on a par with Batman v Superman as the worst movie in the DCEU. It rates down with the worst Marvel movies like Thor 2, Hulk and Iron Man 2.

Style over substance doesn't work. DC need better writers and Zack needs an editor and better effects companies.

People hailing this as a masterpiece have lost the plot.

mongoose

Coach
I wasn't a fan of the Snyder version (or the theatrical one) however I will say this about DCU. I have more respect for them than MCU as their films aren't trying to appeal to such a broad range of people. To me DC is at least trying to appeal more to hardcore comic fans and adults, whereas MCU tries to appeal to everyone from ages 5 to 90, they're basically glorified family movies - they are owned by Disney after all. Only problem is DC has shit writers, whereas MCU has at least decent ones.

shiznit

Coach
I wasn't a fan of the Snyder version (or the theatrical one) however I will say this about DCU. I have more respect for them than MCU as their films aren't trying to appeal to such a broad range of people. To me DC is at least trying to appeal more to hardcore comic fans and adults, whereas MCU tries to appeal to everyone from ages 5 to 90, they're basically glorified family movies - they are owned by Disney after all. Only problem is DC has shit writers, whereas MCU has at least decent ones.

sooooooo you have less respect for Marvel because the MCU make’s their films to appeal to as many people as possible instead of going the DC route and trying to appeal to their core group of virgin dorks who live in their parents basement? :joy::joy:

yeah... I think the majority of companies will take a hard pass on the virgin basement dork respect...

Marvel literally beat’s them from pillar to post at the box office and critically...

Marvel Studios are just so far beyond DC in terms of storytelling and vision and just about everything you can do in the motion picture space.

the thing that Marvel Studios does better than DC is they are brilliant at identifying good young filmmakers and giving them a shot on one of these big franchises.

The Russo’s, Coogler, Taika, Gunn... and the latest chick who’s directing The Eternals... Chole Zao or something... apparently she’s one of the hottest filmmakers in the game at the moment.

DC hit a hone run with Nolan... and have done well with Jenkins(before WW84) and Wan... hopefully Gunn will go good and they can move away from Snyder and his rubbish...