What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

murraymob

First Grade
Hey gang, just popping in from the other side...

From what i've heard, this is more than just a loan deal, it's a full signing.

If it is a loan, then it's a great deal for you guys and for Billy to get some more FG experience.
if it's not.... You guys just got completely ripped off. Blacker is mud.
It’s win win for us.He has been signed as a 4th or 5 th option at prop .we are real thin there.Unless there are lots of injuries in the front row he will be in reggies .Burns is a real talent but also was only going to play reggies
.But we are stacked in the back row with more talent coming through

mxlegend99

Referee
Great news about Burns being a loan deal. I think he has a good first grade career ahead of him. Clearly a talented player and most of his issues came from trying too hard. Kikau was similar in his first season.

Only way he can develop those flaws is in first grade is by playing first grade. Pretty awesome it can happen without us taking the risk.

Although there's a good chance Dragons will want to hang onto him.

Bummer, I was looking forward to Janey being placed under lu arrest and going into custody.

Luke and I might struggle to find $5 for her bail. Take up a bucket at the Paceway. Plenty of losing tickets in there and five cent pieces.

Grand total 85 cents and six bad quinellas.

Panfa

Juniors
I'm sure blacker can't be that bad a prop just takes the ball up forward.Wait till the dragons get a taste of Billy butter fingers burns then we will see who got dud deal.

Kilkenny

Coach
I'm sure blacker can't be that bad a prop just takes the ball up forward.Wait till the dragons get a taste of Billy butter fingers burns then we will see who got dud deal.

Burns is a lot better player than you give him credit for, the handling issues you refer to are largely a myth. Maybe guilty of trying to hard on occasion but they are getting a more than useful player in my opinion.

Original Name

Juniors
Maybe he does, but look at the current options. He'd be much better off staying a year or two and then joining Brisbane II on huge money.
I thought he was a bit older than he was. He's still only 27. That's only a year older than Yeo. Started his career a bit late so he should be able to play pretty late into his career.
Burns is a lot better player than you give him credit for, the handling issues you refer to are largely a myth. Maybe guilty of trying to hard on occasion but they are getting a more than useful player in my opinion.
He's a second rower so it'll depend on his half. For example Foran likes his second rowers to run a line whereas DCE likes best second rowers he can give early ball too. Burns can ball play and kick but it seems like he's running a line comes most naturally to him.

Last edited:

Whino

Bench
No loan deal. Burns gone for good.

Blacker joins Panthers as Burns departs

Penrith Panthers is delighted to confirm Eddie Blacker has joined the club for the remainder of the 2021 season after being released by St George Illawarra Dragons.

The signing of the 21-year-old prop on a one-year deal, with a club option for 2022, comes as Billy Burns is granted an immediate release from his Panthers contract to join the Dragons.

"Billy is a success story emerging from our club’s significant investment in Rugby League development in central west NSW," Panthers General Manager Rugby League Matt Cameron said.

"While it’s always sad to see a player we’ve developed leave the club, allowing Billy to move on at this point is in the best interests of all parties.

"We currently enjoy strong depth in Billy’s position and his departure will assist with our club’s management of the salary cap moving forward.

"At the same time it gives us the opportunity to improve the depth of our front row stocks and in that regard we’re excited to welcome Eddie Blacker to Panthers.

"Eddie is a talented young prop whose physical attributes will make him a valuable asset for our squad this season."

Born in Brisbane, Blacker came through the junior grades at Brisbane Broncos and represented the Queensland U20s Origin side in 2019.

He made his NRL debut for the Dragons in Round 20 last season.

"I think the success this Panthers team is having says everything about the club and I’m just excited to be a part of it," Blacker said.

"I like to think of myself as an effort player so from the first session I’ll be focused on doing all the little things right and making a good impression.

"I can’t wait to rip in and show everyone what I’m about."
https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2021/04/07/blacker-joins-panthers-as-burns-departs/

WestyLife

First Grade
No loan deal. Burns gone for good.

Blacker joins Panthers as Burns departs

Penrith Panthers is delighted to confirm Eddie Blacker has joined the club for the remainder of the 2021 season after being released by St George Illawarra Dragons.

The signing of the 21-year-old prop on a one-year deal, with a club option for 2022, comes as Billy Burns is granted an immediate release from his Panthers contract to join the Dragons.

"Billy is a success story emerging from our club’s significant investment in Rugby League development in central west NSW," Panthers General Manager Rugby League Matt Cameron said.

"While it’s always sad to see a player we’ve developed leave the club, allowing Billy to move on at this point is in the best interests of all parties.

"We currently enjoy strong depth in Billy’s position and his departure will assist with our club’s management of the salary cap moving forward.

"At the same time it gives us the opportunity to improve the depth of our front row stocks and in that regard we’re excited to welcome Eddie Blacker to Panthers.

"Eddie is a talented young prop whose physical attributes will make him a valuable asset for our squad this season."

Born in Brisbane, Blacker came through the junior grades at Brisbane Broncos and represented the Queensland U20s Origin side in 2019.

He made his NRL debut for the Dragons in Round 20 last season.

"I think the success this Panthers team is having says everything about the club and I’m just excited to be a part of it," Blacker said.

"I like to think of myself as an effort player so from the first session I’ll be focused on doing all the little things right and making a good impression.

"I can’t wait to rip in and show everyone what I’m about."
https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2021/04/07/blacker-joins-panthers-as-burns-departs/

So much for the loan.

St Tangles

Bench
His not
Has has plenty of potential
The swap works well for both teams we need a second rower desperately that can play top grade
Blacker is not ready yeat but should develop well over the next 2 years

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Sorry mate, I was told it was a loan deal. Things obviously changed the last day or so.
Sounds like he got a good deal that was hard to turn down.

Fair enough sounds to me like a sensible deal. Penrith in need of a cheap middle forward. Hopefully Eddie thrives in the Penrith system. If he does well, he will get re-signed. Simple solution.

Latest posts