What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Papenhuyzen be better than Slater?

King hit

Coach
not many players leave melbourne and get better!
Since you're a Storm fan yourself can you name somebody who did? I'm trying to think of someone but the best I can think of is GI but that's just grasping at straws really

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Since you're a Storm fan yourself can you name somebody who did? I'm trying to think of someone but the best I can think of is GI but that's just grasping at straws really

Harry Grant played good for the Tigers even though he was only on a loan

davi

Juniors

Greg Inglis went to another level after Madge brought him back to fullback. He had to play centre at Melbourne when Slater was healthy and it carried over to the Souths. But everybody forgot how great he was at fullback until Madge moved him back there and the rest was history.

James Maloney went better at the Warriors and really started to emerge as a star. Although from what I understand the Storm team was too loaded for him to get a decent crack at first grade.

no name

Coach
Also age and when one might take over the kangaroos jersey from the other
This year age

Papa 23
Mitchell 24
Gutho 27
Tedesco 28

Nsw and Roos jersey will be teddys barring injury for next two years then we will have Mitchell and papa battling for the Roos #1 jersey by 2023. Gutho is the one who will miss out on rep honours on current predictions.
Unless Teddy gets injured, he’s got the 1 jersey for the next 4 or 5 years.

I'll add Jeremy Smith to that list.

Ah yes absolutely...

Inexcusable oversight from me there. He was our best forward in 2010. Although in my (possible) defence I’d suggest his improvement wasn’t as great since leaving the Storm n coming to us. Widdop did improve remarkably

Perth Red

Post Whore

Yeh Widdop and Inglis would be the only two that went on to get a lot better imo. J Smith, Proctor maintained their quality. The list of those who've left and become avg or dropped all together is pretty long.

Mikehnz

Juniors
Who did it better?

Klay Thompson
12 minutes
37 points
13-13 FG, 9-9 from 3

Paps
11 minutes
24 points
4 tries, 4/4 conversions

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Papa is an absolute jet, and yeah I reckon better than Slater at that age. His support play and ability to be in the right place is incredible. He's taken those touch skills and almost added a new dimension to the modern fullback in the way he's always in the play, and runs such incredibly good lines.

But yeah, the NSW No.1 thing will hold back the conversation potentially.

Papa is an absolute jet, and yeah I reckon better than Slater at that age. His support play and ability to be in the right place is incredible. He's taken those touch skills and almost added a new dimension to the modern fullback in the way he's always in the play, and runs such incredibly good lines.

But yeah, the NSW No.1 thing will hold back the conversation potentially.
Agreed
His support play ..work ethic on field & enthusiasm is as good or if not better than Billy's was at that age.
Has to wait in line as many have when it comes to rep jerseys ..but when he finally gets it ...it's his till retirement or injury finish his career.

I'll also say as a one eyed QLDER.
No way we would have won SOO#3 last year if Pap came off the bench .
A masterstroke for Qld by Adolph to not have him there .
He wins games ....& would have prob won that game for NSW .

Perth Red

Post Whore
We had Tedesco at that stage.

Even Melbourne were close to letting him go apparently. He got a crack due to a few injuries and made the most of it, but had those injuries not happened he'd be somewhere else.

yeh at one point it looked like Croft at 7 and Hughes would be our fullback going forward. Funny how things work out.

Knight76

Juniors
Of course he will be, whether he is or isn't is besides the point.

The media needs to constantly crap on about who is the goat, memory fades and by the time this fella is finishing his career Slater will be fading and this guy will likely be anointed the goat, after Teddy was of course.

It's all a never ending circle jerk!

Latest posts