What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2021 Jerseys, Sponsorship, Logos etc

Perth Red

Post Whore
Rather than designing a different jersey every year in the vain hope of selling a few hundred clubs should pick iconic designs and keep them to build their brand. Make up your merchandising sales by coming up with decent leisure wear that isn’t plastered with sponsors.

toomuchsoup

Juniors
Yeah well whites boring and just didnt sell, i wouldn't mind if they went grey, with the stripes, a bit gold coast giants, but pink sells, and its unique to the comp, and as panthers fans we love it, especially when we win, a bit of "you got beaten by a pink team"
As long as the black shorts/socks stay im ok with whatever color is the away, barr white, but the black home is by far the most iconic panthers cullas, abd leaning into the pink as an away is a good way to introduce more cullas im the NRL, bar Blue, Black, White

Fair enough. I think jersey sale numbers aren’t a great thing to chase for NRL clubs. Look at the Roosters. Haven’t changed their jersey in forever and probably don’t do as many sales as a team (most teams) that slightly alters their jersey every couple of years. Doing this has given them a very strong brand image in my eyes. I hate them, but I respect them for how traditional and consistent their jerseys are.

I’d say that’s why people dislike the new ‘home’ Raiders jersey and it’s why I don’t like the unnecessary use of away jerseys. So often a team will wear their away jersey when it’s really not necessary just to meet their quota of how many games they’ve figured out they need to wear the away to boost sales. I have absolutely nothing to back that up with, it just makes sense to me that that’s the reason that unnecessary away jerseys get worn so often.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Rather than designing a different jersey every year in the vain hope of selling a few hundred clubs should pick iconic designs and keep them to build their brand. Make up your merchandising sales by coming up with decent leisure wear that isn’t plastered with sponsors.
I absolutely love this method of bait-posting.

Start with an absolutely false position as though something that is the norm actually isn't, to make it seem like there's a problem - which there isn't.

The lions share of clubs now do pick iconic designs and stick with them. Not every club's gonna do that, but the majority absolutely do.

MugaB

Coach
Fair enough. I think jersey sale numbers aren’t a great thing to chase for NRL clubs. Look at the Roosters. Haven’t changed their jersey in forever and probably don’t do as many sales as a team (most teams) that slightly alters their jersey every couple of years. Doing this has given them a very strong brand image in my eyes. I hate them, but I respect them for how traditional and consistent their jerseys are.

I’d say that’s why people dislike the new ‘home’ Raiders jersey and it’s why I don’t like the unnecessary use of away jerseys. So often a team will wear their away jersey when it’s really not necessary just to meet their quota of how many games they’ve figured out they need to wear the away to boost sales. I have absolutely nothing to back that up with, it just makes sense to me that that’s the reason that unnecessary away jerseys get worn so often.
Yeah i get that, and i did love that heritage jersey in 2011, my wife has one, i cannot find a size from that ISC made jersey, they seemed to just get their designs right, where "classic" completely failed, and matched it with a full white kit... terrible, O'Neills droped the white as soon as they could

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I absolutely love this method of bait-posting.

Start with an absolutely false position as though something that is the norm actually isn't, to make it seem like there's a problem - which there isn't.

The lions share of clubs now do pick iconic designs and stick with them. Not every club's gonna do that, but the majority absolutely do.

how many teams this year have a different design jersey to last year, let alone over say the last three years? I’d wager it’s majority of them and probably nearly all of them in three years

Timmah

Staff member
how many teams this year have a different design jersey to last year, let alone over say the last three years? I’d wager it’s majority of them and probably nearly all of them in three years
You can split hairs over what a different design is, but:

Canberra - have changed their "home" jersey but retained last season's as a heritage which they appear to be wearing regularly.
Canterbury - same design since 2013, and their general design hasn't changed for 45-50 years save for the bowing of the chevrons and whether they're cut by a sponsor.
Cronulla - varying themes on the same hoops for at least a decade now.
Newcastle - have stuck with the classic Henny Penny look for a good 5 years now haven't they?
Parramatta - also seem to have settled on the 80's-90's style as their main kit
Penrith - similarly have settled into the black with three colour band
St Geo Illa - duh
Souths - duh
Roosters - duh
Warriors - now 3 seasons in with the 95 strip and judging by the away, looks to be keeping that style
Wests Tigers - same basic design concept for a good 5-6 years now as well.

Broncos, Titans, Cowboys, Melbourne do seem to shift their designs around fair bit, probably because they're younger clubs I guess. Manly seems to be having an identity crisis too, which is odd because their jerseys have been good for the most part in recent decades.

roofromoz

First Grade
Yeah i get that, and i did love that heritage jersey in 2011, my wife has one, i cannot find a size from that ISC made jersey, they seemed to just get their designs right, where "classic" completely failed, and matched it with a full white kit... terrible, O'Neills droped the white as soon as they could

Didn't mind the white jersey as it was in a way copying the inverse design from the 1991 design but didn't feature at all last year with the exception of the trials. TBH not a huge fan of the pink as the away strip, should just be the WIL design, but the Panthers have been using the pink as the second jersey quite regularly since 2013 (even when an actual away jersey has been released) and that mindset probably won't change anything soon.

MugaB

Coach
It has only just occurred to me that it is not beyond the realm of possibility that the GF jersey combination could be this:

View attachment 47302

Anyone have the phone number for the NRL fairytale / match fixing department?!

although who am I kidding, we all know these two teams would make it, and they’d run out in these...

View attachment 47303
I have the new penrith heritage jersey, it actually will be used for the canberra game, as an ode to the 1991 GF

The Bulldogs are set to announce Audi as their new major sponsor this week after the Storm game...

images

Timmah

Staff member
#7 jersey retired in all four grades, stitching embroidered into the NRL jersey.

Full Tommy day in Round 9, they could wear something then but unless they have a Magpies heritage already in the can, seems unlikely they'll wear one.

Frailty

First Grade
Tigers have already announced they will be wearing the Black jersey despite original plans to wear the orange at Leichhardt.

No way they could produce a Victa-era Magpies Jersey in time.

Latest posts