What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings And News

Mr Spock!

Referee
Whatever the arguments of the club, one of the greatest coaches in the history of the game, someone whose worked with thousands of players and knows more about footy than just about anyone else alive has spoken out unswervingly in Adams quest for a fair go.

You trust Benny with the fortunes of the whole club and your premiership ambitions, but not Renno?!

There’s a curious inconsistency and disjuncture here.

You abandon him now and any future claims of loyalty of the club to players are weasel words. And you are going to need this loyaltypromise to submit to players when you are trying to convince them to stay for unders for many years to come.

Such representations will lose all credibility from players and agents.

“ Sign with us long term and we will take care of you”

“ Oh like you took care of Reynolds?”

Don’t turn into “roosters lite” stand for something instead.

Don’t you blink now Renno supporters. Not one step back.
Nah that would make us West tigers.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
How many of you would knock back potentially $3mil to get 700K plus who knows what on top of that?

The only criticism of Adam I have is that he probably should have kept quiet about it, and if Souths didnt reconsider then just go to market - but without the threats. Now I'd be very surprised if Souths changes their mind.

Cody should be taking notes because I expect he is going to be facing the same next season i.e one year deals take it or leave it

Mad Bunny

Juniors
The $1.4 million deal failed to impress Reynolds’ manager Steve Gillis on Wednesday, with the veteran halfback now tipped to leave the cardinal and myrtle at season’s end.

“We’ll now engage with interested parties and explore the market and see where that takes us,” Gillis told NRL.com.

P.S. Maybe Gillis is stubborn???

NovoBunny94

Juniors
The $1.4 million deal failed to impress Reynolds’ manager Steve Gillis on Wednesday, with the veteran halfback now tipped to leave the cardinal and myrtle at season’s end.

“We’ll now engage with interested parties and explore the market and see where that takes us,” Gillis told NRL.com.

Is he still staying or have you changed your tune?

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors

Can you comprehend english?
Its NOT A 2 YEAR DEAL.
Its NOT $1.4MIL
Its a one year deal plus a club option for the second year.
The club has already said they have only 2 mil to spend on 16 players.
This means they cant afford to pick up the option on the second year anyway. Multiple players under contract have to be moved for this to be even possible.

Honestly can posters here read??
.....sheessh..

Rabbits20

Immortal
Package deal: Jets want Bennett and Reynolds to head up Brisbane expansion team

By Michael Chammas SMH
April 8, 2021 — 3.50pm

The Brisbane Jets want Adam Reynolds to sign a one-year deal with South Sydney and potentially join Wayne Bennett as part of a package deal for the new Queensland franchise in 2023.

With Bennett in the box seat to land the head coaching gig for one of the three potential Queensland expansion bids - pending approval from the NRL in July - the door is now open for Reynolds to follow the seven-time premiership-winning coach north of the border.

Reynolds is refusing to sign a one-year extension at Souths and has decided to hit the open market for a long term deal, however Brisbane Jets general manager of football Scott Sattler said the Rabbitohs halfback would sit at the top of a list of recruitment targets if he was to willing to remain a free agent for 2023.

He’d be a tremendous player to have in your system if you were starting a club up,” Sattler told the Herald on Thursday.

He has all the attributes that would be very attractive to a new team. He’s a great club man, a family man, plays with plenty of pride, turns four into six and you also get a second coach on the football field. He would be great, but at the moment with his contract situation and him wanting to look after his family with a long term deal, it’s not realistic. In the situation where it became realistic and you had a license, he would dominate the discussion at the recruitment table.

“Whether Wayne was the coach or not, he would be a large part of your discussion at the recruitment table. He would dominate a conversation if it became a realistic option. He still has a lot of footy left in him and also has a young family. I never want to disrespect the Rabbits. They deserve to take this process through to the nth degree with Adam. We’ll wait and see what happens.”

Reynolds’ other option, if he wanted the security of a long term deal, would be to sign a three-year deal with a team like the North Queensland Cowboys but insert a clause or player option that would allow him to negotiate with the prospective expansion team if they enter the competition in 2023.

Jets chief executive Nicholas Livermore hoped Reynolds would consider the future expansion team as he ponders his next career move. “I’d hope Adam Reynolds would be available and only signs a deal for 2022,” Livermore said. “You’d absolutely want anyone of his standard.”

Someone like Adam Reynolds is a proven game winner and big game performer. From a bid director’s perspective, we want to build the most successful team from day one, and if you have Adam Reynolds and Wayne Bennett you have winners and proven performers.

Any player of his calibre, if someone approached me we’d be encouraging them to sign a one year deal to leave themselves the option of joining a new franchise in 2023. It wouldn’t be the first time agents have lined up playing contracts to coincide with the start of a new TV rights deal.”

Livermore said he had little doubt that Bennett would be top of the queue when it comes to candidates to coach the new franchise team when an announcement on whether the NRL will expand is made as early as July.

“When it comes to Wayne, you just have to look at his record,” Livermore said. “Queensland wouldn’t have won the State of Origin series last year if he wasn’t coach. You’d be hard-pressed finding anyone to disagree.

I know the rapport he has with his players. If you signed Wayne Bennett as coach, players just want to play for him. Craig Bellamy has the same at the Storm - players just want to play under those guys. If and when we get the license, Wayne would be one of your top candidates.”

The NRL is waiting on a business analysis from senior strategic projects manager Lachlan Smith in the next month before making a final decision on whether to begin interviewing bid consortiums led by the Redcliffe Dolphins, Brisbane Firehawks and Jets.

It’s very realistic to say that we’ll have a second team in Brisbane in 2023,” V’landys told the Herald in February. “From what I’ve seen and the presentations that have been given to me, they are well advanced. If I said 2022 they’d be ready. They’ve been doing work for years. There’s no reason why we can’t be up and running in 2023.”

The NRL wants to make sure the business case stacks up and ensure the venture is commercially justifiable. A lot also hinges on the broadcast partners. The NRL has also vowed to meet with all 16 NRL clubs to address their concerns before taking the next step.

A number of clubs, led by the Gold Coast Titans, have pulled together to hire a private consultancy group to determine the financial implications of a 17th team.

One of the reasons the NRL wants to expand is to increase dwindling junior participation numbers in Queensland, however the game’s leaders insist they won’t move ahead with plans unless it is a financial winner.

Last edited:

Nafedogg

Juniors
And a lot of those members and fans will blow up when next year we have move a ton of players because our caps tight. Adam can take it or leave it. I’m over the whole thing, he either loves south’s enough as Sutton did or he chases the money and we can blood our young guys in.

callmack1

Staff member
Honestly feel like locking this thread on game days haha. We have a bloody game tonight in case you haven't noticed!! That should be the focus today. I'm ignoring all the Reynolds chat (and I hope the boys will do the same) and will catch up tomorrow. Today, the game against Brisbane is far more important!

The NRL Economist - Biggest and smallest clubs amid league's trimming-down trend: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-ec...er-trend/3b3c4444-cf7c-4bbe-b5cf-775087bf4239

Jim Rockford

Bench
And a lot of those members and fans will blow up when next year we have move a ton of players because our caps tight. Adam can take it or leave it. I’m over the whole thing, he either loves south’s enough as Sutton did or he chases the money and we can blood our young guys in.
He's not asking for more money next year, just the security of a 3rd year so we won't have to move "ä ton of players next year". I also won't be blowing up if some players are moved on if they are guys who can be replaced.A player of Reynos calibre is a whole lot harder to replace.

Nafedogg

Juniors
Meh, we have replaced the likes of Greg and Sam as we have done since 1908 and as we will into the future. Isn’t this year or next the end of premiership window? Do you really expect our young halves to hang around for 3 years and not get a taste of first grade? He has an offer, he takes it or goes, simple.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Sutto at 30 got 2 years at 32 and a half he started taking one years deals so no comparison compared to Sutto.

I’m over it too as I think the club has stuffed up.

club legend and local junior heart and soul of our club still only 30 years old should he treated a bit better for me. It’s not a good look for local juniors coming through in that once you get to 30 we are likely to spit you out now as we only do one year deals not 2 guaranteed years!

Can’t talk anymore now. Getting ready for the game to leave soon.

I hope Adam is best on ground tonight!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Should’ve planned a couple of years ago how do we keep our star half an integral part of the side and our captain and heart and soul of Redfern. Should’ve had him higher up the list!

Jim Rockford

Bench
I don't understand this talk of our premiership window closing this year or the next. A well-run club can keep their window of opportunity open indefinitely.Also, who says the young halves won't get a taste of First Grade? Unless you have a crystal ball, there's no way you can know what chances will present themselves. I think some on here are suffering from a bit of FOMO.