What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The big NRL divide

MugaB

Coach
My head hurts ....

As for favours and rule bending etc that one did make me laugh. Would love to see an example??
Cordners exemption, Sualli's inclusion, SBW's exemption, lets not forget the classic ORIGINAL 6again call in the 2019 GF, and thats in just the last few years, someone has gotten their rose colors glasses on for too long.
You guys will say its all within the "rules", but its really about bending them to your will, to get that edge over other clubs, hence why theres always the stigma of paper bags, cheating and brand new cars as payments... no crowds, no juniors, no catchments, you're excess to requirement, and sucking up either the player market or sydneys sponsors that could have been at the other 8 clubs, who most probably deserve it more, when this team can operate being based on the moon

Perth Red

Post Whore
Whats the benefit for the state leagues to do that? If JoBlo comes from a QRL club and Melbourne develop him further, only Melbourne and that player benifit, state leagues isn't there to create players, its a comp.

no it’s not, it’s fundamental role is as a pseudo reserve grade/ development pathway for potential nrl players. That’s why the nrl pays for it.

Cordners exemption,..

Oh yeah, my club should not be able to avail itself of a rule for a player injured on rep duties, like the Raiders did with Josh Hodgson and Canterbury did with Kieran Foran.

Sualli's inclusion,..

Oh yeah, considering Souths laiod all the ground work for this in 2020, it was all the Roosters doing eh? :rolleyes:

SBW's exemption,

Nice straw grasping. What exemption? The club had cap space and the NRL had extended the deadline for registrations due to COVID. I mean he really helped us win the comp in 2020 didn't he? :p

lets not forget the classic ORIGINAL 6again call in the 2019 GF, and thats in just the last few years,....

ROFLMAO. Yes cause we own the referees, especially Ben Cummins, who we have a piss poor record for winning games when he is the referee.

I ignored the final point as, unless you have discovered a breathable atmosphere on the moon which no one else on Earth knows about, your last point is completely laughable.[/quote]

MugaB

Coach
no it’s not, it’s fundamental role is as a pseudo reserve grade/ development pathway for potential nrl players. That’s why the nrl pays for it.
Nope its just a comp, just like the BRL were, and now the QRL is, yes they get funding, but if theres no reserve grade where do the bottom13 of the top30 squad other NRL players play? Im not sure Benji Marshall qualifies for NYC these days

@adjado you’re only seeing what you want to see on 360. Ikin complained when we got SBW last year. Bulldog, likewise complained when the 18 age limit was dropped to accommodate Sualli despite V’landys campaigning for it when the kid was still at South’s. Not like News Ltd journos to do the research of course but both cried favouritism. They have all collectively pulled themselves on our concussion protocols, I’ll give you that.

Anzac Day clash? Saints/Roosters approached the NRL with the initiative which has clearly taken off.

If you could be arsed, listen to ‘the rugby league digest’ podcast for a great in-depth Super League war analysis by two guys who are on record for hating the Roosters. I’ll save you some time, none of your insane conspiracy re Roosters matches their research.

MugaB

Coach
Oh yeah, my club should not be able to avail itself of a rule for a player injured on rep duties, like the Raiders did with Josh Hodgson and Canterbury did with Kieran Foran.

Oh yeah, considering Souths laiod all the ground work for this in 2020, it was all the Roosters doing eh? :rolleyes:

Nice straw grasping. What exemption? The club had cap space and the NRL had extended the deadline for registrations due to COVID. I mean he really helped us win the comp in 2020 didn't he? :p

ROFLMAO. Yes cause we own the referees, especially Ben Cummins, who we have a piss poor record for winning games when he is the referee.

I ignored the final point as, unless you have discovered a breathable atmosphere on the moon which no one else on Earth knows about, your last point is completely laughable.

Well lets just change the word "moon" to the word "Adelaide" then

As for the 10+ other concussions for Captian Cordner had throught the past few years, that mean you get exemption just coz he got a whoopsy in state of origin, like i said you bend the rules to get and advantage $350k is an advantage other clubs don't get this year. Maybe if you actually cared about Boyd he would have been saved from playing State of Origin, before he got his head knock, maybe he'd be back before round 8, ...oh wait the rule states 12 weeks off, that way you get to cheat.
The roosters way!.

Sualli only got approved as soon as roosters got a hold of him, even if Souths greased the wheels, they didn't get approved, roosters did? (Thats retorical btw)

SBW should have been offered to the warriors first as they were in need of players due to covid restrictions, yet the roosters get their man!! Even if he sucked balls and helped nada, its the rules that get swayed your way every time

As for the 2019GF it was a piss poor call, by a ref that is questionable when it comes to normal calls, maybe should look to see a city ford bumper sticker on his car parked in the driveway

Well lets just change the word "moon" to the word "Adelaide" then

As for the 10+ other concussions for Captian Cordner had throught the past few years, that mean you get exemption just coz he got a whoopsy in state of origin, like i said you bend the rules to get and advantage $350k is an advantage other clubs don't get this year. Maybe if you actually cared about Boyd he would have been saved from playing State of Origin, before he got his head knock, maybe he'd be back before round 8, ...oh wait the rule states 12 weeks off, that way you get to cheat.
The roosters way!.

Sualli only got approved as soon as roosters got a hold of him, even if Souths greased the wheels, they didn't get approved, roosters did? (Thats retorical btw)

SBW should have been offered to the warriors first as they were in need of players due to covid restrictions, yet the roosters get their man!! Even if he sucked balls and helped nada, its the rules that get swayed your way every time

As for the 2019GF it was a piss poor call, by a ref that is questionable when it comes to normal calls, maybe should look to see a city ford bumper sticker on his car parked in the driveway

I can guarantee you we would rather have Cordner playing than free up some cap space for a potential player...your argument doesnt make sense

The 6 again call was in the end the correct call. Tedesco doesnt touch the ball. If he doesnt change it and the Raiders score do you blow up about it? Funny how we bag the refs but he actually got the call correct.

MugaB

Coach
I can guarantee you we would rather have Cordner playing than free up some cap space for a potential player...your argument doesnt make sense

The 6 again call was in the end the correct call. Tedesco doesnt touch the ball. If he doesnt change it and the Raiders score do you blow up about it? Funny how we bag the refs but he actually got the call correct.
And you Will have cordner back, and another player worth $350k, after round 12... how do you not see that as cheating? Yes 17 of the 30 players are playing, but don't tell me even without Keary, Friend and Cordner that you need an extra $350 worthy player to compensate when there another 10 left in your squad to cover that loss... its just utter Büllshit.

What actually happened in that GF wasn't the problem, its that the ref called it one way then retracted it, this caused enough confusion, and swung momentum the other way, yes canberra maybe should be playing to the whistle, but on last tackle ...please,
but its still a shít call, liked to the touchie a few years ago flagging a player going into touch, but then retracting in that croulla vs canberra game, a fuvk up but still a bad call to flip/flop, hence the captains challenge is now introduced to stop the bad calls and indecision during run of play.
Either way in the end, its either a shit ref or blatent lie... and shit refs rarely get to adjudicate GFs

And you Will have cordner back, and another player worth $350k, after round 12... how do you not see that as cheating? Yes 17 of the 30 players are playing, but don't tell me even without Keary, Friend and Cordner that you need an extra $350 worthy player to compensate when there another 10 left in your squad to cover that loss... its just utter Büllshit.

What actually happened in that GF wasn't the problem, its that the ref called it one way then retracted it, this caused enough confusion, and swung momentum the other way, yes canberra maybe should be playing to the whistle, but on last tackle ...please,
but its still a shít call, liked to the touchie a few years ago flagging a player going into touch, but then retracting in that croulla vs canberra game, a fuvk up but still a bad call to flip/flop, hence the captains challenge is now introduced to stop the bad calls and indecision during run of play.
Either way in the end, its either a shit ref or blatent lie... and shit refs rarely get to adjudicate GFs

So with that logic you would prefer the ref to stick with the incorrect call??

So who is the mystery $350K player?? And where is the cap relief for Friend?? Oh thats right it is a conspiracy

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nope its just a comp, just like the BRL were, and now the QRL is, yes they get funding, but if theres no reserve grade where do the bottom13 of the top30 squad other NRL players play? Im not sure Benji Marshall qualifies for NYC these days

you seem to be agreeing with me lol
the second tier is a pseudo nrl reserve grade where nrl clubs develop their talent. Storm do it very well with their queensland club partnership.

franklin2323

Immortal
Goulds argument doesn’t seem to make sense to me. Dont all nrl clubs use qrl or nsw clubs to develop their 16-20 year olds? If the successful clubs are doing this then how can that be the problem?

No they use the state run comps but the clubs control coaching etc

franklin2323

Immortal
yes I know, that’s my point why would that produce a different outcome to the nyc, which is what Gould is suggesting?

Take the Broncos. They are split across several clubs though. Not only would the opposition be stronger but they could develop the side all together

Big Pete

Referee
I think it's too early either way to draw any conclusions on the disbandment of the NYC. I think the lack of reserve grade has definitely played a factor in the divide since it affected the development of players and the ability to bring in that blue chip prospect to help fill out the roster.

I just hope when these lower grades are brought in, they're not just forced on the clubs. It was basically a money pit and didn't really work out the way the NRL thought it would. When the competition came in, we saw 45 Under 20s work their way into the NRL. By 2015, that number dropped to just 14 and the overall number of debutants didn't grow either. That suggests to me clubs figured out that the competition wasn't a true gauge of the quality of players.

MugaB

Coach
So with that logic you would prefer the ref to stick with the incorrect call??

So who is the mystery $350K player?? And where is the cap relief for Friend?? Oh thats right it is a conspiracy
Yes stick with it, and let the clubs challenge it, obviously now there's captains challenge, this shít shouldn't happen, and if ref messes up, then its on the clubs to point it out in the allocated time, before everyone moves on.

What cap relief for friend, aren't you already paying him to lay on the ground? I dont understand the question. Do you mean now that he is retired? Or coz he had multiple head knocks aswell

franklin2323

Immortal
I think it's too early either way to draw any conclusions on the disbandment of the NYC. I think the lack of reserve grade has definitely played a factor in the divide since it affected the development of players and the ability to bring in that blue chip prospect to help fill out the roster.

I just hope when these lower grades are brought in, they're not just forced on the clubs. It was basically a money pit and didn't really work out the way the NRL thought it would. When the competition came in, we saw 45 Under 20s work their way into the NRL. By 2015, that number dropped to just 14 and the overall number of debutants didn't grow either. That suggests to me clubs figured out that the competition wasn't a true gauge of the quality of players.

I think the QLD Clubs being where they are is due to it going. Their depth seems to of fallen off the cliff.

They still made poor recruitment decisions but that is heightened by poor depth. If the Cows were competitive them losing Kikau, Ponga etc is less of an issue

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Please don't bring up 2019 it's triggering enough. With hindsight I wish cummins had just stopped the game for a second to let us reset the line. He ultimately got the call right but we were disadvantaged by the absolute meal he made of it and it left us shot. Slowing the game down for even 40 seconds while he said "my bad" might have limited the impact his error had on a very good game of footy. I've no issues admitting the roosters were the better team though. Hats off to them

Back on topic last night's game shows my biggest issue. South's smacked the bronx without even trying.