What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The big NRL divide

MugaB

Coach
Please don't bring up 2019 it's triggering enough. With hindsight I wish cummins had just stopped the game for a second to let us reset the line. He ultimately got the call right but we were disadvantaged by the absolute meal he made of it and it left us shot. Slowing the game down for even 40 seconds while he said "my bad" might have limited the impact his error had on a very good game of footy. I've no issues admitting the roosters were the better team though. Hats off to them

Back on topic last night's game shows my biggest issue. South's smacked the bronx without even trying.
Exactly this, totally unfair by the ref to blunder the call, and cause confusion without stoping play

MugaB

Coach
But I don't think he was favouring the roosters. I think he just bottled it under pressure. It's just annoying that it had such an impact on the game
Same Ref in the blunder in the sevens in perth for that Dragon game against the Panthers, where Cody Ramsey scores outside the corner by about half a metre.. no video ref.

Ace-STi

Juniors
H
Same Ref in the blunder in the sevens in perth for that Dragon game against the Panthers, where Cody Ramsey scores outside the corner by about half a metre.. no video ref.
He was in :D

tenor.gif

But I don't think he was favouring the roosters. I think he just bottled it under pressure. It's just annoying that it had such an impact on the game

Did it have such an impact on the game....will never know really. The Raiders had 65% of the ball that half and never looked like scoring.

the Cronk Sin Bin had a much bigger impact....but hang on that went against the Roosters so doesnt count

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Did it have such an impact on the game....will never know really. The Raiders had 65% of the ball that half and never looked like scoring.

the Cronk Sin Bin had a much bigger impact....but hang on that went against the Roosters so doesnt count

The Cronk sin bin should be a sin bin every day of the week. It was a blatant professional foul. There should be more sin bins in rugby league not less. The Raiders put on a play that is a try scoring chance 95% of the time if Papalii gets a clean catch on the ball and whoops Cronk hits him early to stop him getting it. Sorry but off to the bin you go. The refs can't read players minds but if a player commits to hitting a player early in a try scoring situation dont be shocked if they get sin binned for a professional foul.

And yes it had a huge impact because you guys score from our shot defensive line. If Cummins had showed any common sense and just paused the game for a second to explain what happened and let the Raiders get set the impact would have been minimised.

davi

Juniors
The Cronk sin bin should be a sin bin every day of the week. It was a blatant professional foul. There should be more sin bins in rugby league not less. The Raiders put on a play that is a try scoring chance 95% of the time if Papalii gets a clean catch on the ball and whoops Cronk hits him early to stop him getting it. Sorry but off to the bin you go. The refs can't read players minds but if a player commits to hitting a player early in a try scoring situation dont be shocked if they get sin binned for a professional foul.

And yes it had a huge impact because you guys score from our shot defensive line. If Cummins had showed any common sense and just paused the game for a second to explain what happened and let the Raiders get set the impact would have been minimised.

I was going for the Raiders in that Grand final and I think most of the rugby league community was. But the suggestion the ref cost the Raiders is kind of a cop out. The great teams find a way to win, even when the Roosters were without Cronk due to a sin bin they never let it rattled them. The fact is the Roosters scored a 60 metre try to win it and the Raiders could have stopped it and didn't.

The ref made a mistake, but it was the Raiders who let through that try. That had nothing to do with the ref and it was all the Raiders. I must admit I was kind of over Nine after the game going over the controversy over and over. It was really trying to escape the fact that the Roosters were the better team.

Big Pete

Referee
I think the QLD Clubs being where they are is due to it going. Their depth seems to of fallen off the cliff.

They still made poor recruitment decisions but that is heightened by poor depth. If the Cows were competitive them losing Kikau, Ponga etc is less of an issue

An U/20 competition wasn't going to stop half the squad from walking at the Broncos. Even some of the best young players they had coming through left because of the direction the club went in.

I'm not completely ruling out the need for a national U/21 competition, but we just went through an entire year of no reserve grade period, of course there's going to be a depth problem.

How was your defensive line shot. It was a lazy Leilua who didn't get back in the line and was exploited by Keary that cost you. Nothing to do with the ref

anjado

Juniors
So much wrong here it is hard to know where to start.

Nick is far from the main business interested invested in the club. There was an article a couple years ago outlining this including the property portfolio of the club which is enormous. The club is set up to be financially stable for decades to come and anyone hoping for a decline when Nick kicks the bucket will likely be disappointed.

Unprecedented good press is complete garbage as is "every advantage".

Re: 25,000 average what data are you using for that? We keep hearing that if X club had that success they would average 25,000 but it never happens. Souths is a perfect example.

Our crowds are middle of the road compared to the other 15 clubs and are probably punching above our weight for a club who has no fans. Why does everyone want to not include ANZAC crowds? Are you suggesting fans aren't attending? No one seems to want to do that for the dragons when they host or dogs/souths (good Friday) or eels/tigers (Easter Monday) or storm on ANZAC day (every year).

As for juniors we absolutely maximise the area we have keeping in mind the majority of it was taken off us to help souths out back in the day and this has never been reviewed. We have the same amount of juniors in our top 17 this year as parra does.

We have no real choice but to recruit players at a young age from elsewhere which we just do better than most which is the real reason for the sook about our juniors.

Add to that we have invested heavily in recent years in the central coast region with the CC roosters recently winning both the Laurie Daley and Andrew Johns cups. They are also a strong side in the Matthews cup and also compete in the women's comp.

We also are building a strong presence in the North shore and have affiliates in other locations like the Illawarra.

At the end of the day the roosters have adapted to the professional era better than most and their stability and viability as a club won't be changing anytime soon.

If you watch NRL 360 it's basically a Roosters fan channel, every day they just keep saying how amazing they are and awesome etc, I've literally never heard them say a bad word about anyone or anything to do with the club it's nothing but praise. All organizations they are basically built as sydney's team the only criticism you get is about the salary sombrero which is said in a joking fashion even though everyone clearly knows it's true and Phil Gould admitted to it in 2010.

The entire rationalization period to reduce teams in the Sydney competition may as well have been written by Nick Politis. I guess you can call that a bit of a leg up if it had anything to do with future planning the Roosters would have been the first team to go, crowds counted from 1996 mysteriously at the point where the Roosters got two huge crowds on the back of a mcdonalds promotion. Junior development basically wasn't counted at all and recent on field performances count mysteriously when the Roosters started buying every player on the market, just ignore them only winning two premierships in the previous 53 years and the obvious fudging of crowd figures.

Anzac day test is cancelled, the Roosters get anzac day for about a decade on their own.

You proved my point it's good the Roosters are doing well on the central coast but you had to help kill someone off to get there. It's similar to the buying junior clubs in Penrith plan you had in the late 90's. If the Bears had been at the Central Coast and you had a bigger junior base it would open up more areas for the game to grow, now you are moving into St George Illawarra's territory.

I know you are going nowhere every other club has been cannibalised to make sure that can't happen. The crowds are a problem obviously not in these times, but you should be the Broncos of Sydney but you will never be this because you will never have this sustained period of success forever and one day it will go away. So being in the middle of the pack hurts the league, Souths moving to homebush hurts the league too.

I just wanted to say I agree with you I think you do, do a great job with junior development I just wish you merged with someone else so you could have had a larger pool of players to choose from. But you will always have to solely rely on other areas to produce 90% of your players and that should have been taken into account years ago. That is fine for a club like Melbourne though it should be changing by now or an expansion team but to me the Roosters feel like an expansion team rather than a foundation club.

I also think the Roosters have done very well in many aspects of running their club I just feel it's been bad for the game that they didn't merge and made themselves stronger with more of a fan and junior base, I think nearly every post super league problem the game has faced would have been solved by the Roosters being forced to merge.

Basically if every other club ever reach the same level as Melbourne and the Roosters when it comes to player identification and professionalism it would do them a lot of harm.
@adjado you’re only seeing what you want to see on 360. Ikin complained when we got SBW last year. Bulldog, likewise complained when the 18 age limit was dropped to accommodate Sualli despite V’landys campaigning for it when the kid was still at South’s. Not like News Ltd journos to do the research of course but both cried favouritism. They have all collectively pulled themselves on our concussion protocols, I’ll give you that.

Anzac Day clash? Saints/Roosters approached the NRL with the initiative which has clearly taken off.

If you could be arsed, listen to ‘the rugby league digest’ podcast for a great in-depth Super League war analysis by two guys who are on record for hating the Roosters. I’ll save you some time, none of your insane conspiracy re Roosters matches their research.

NRL 360 praised the Roosters in every single episode last week to the point where Paul Crawley even pointed it out. I am going to come across as a bit heartless but when Keary and Lam got injured the headline on Fox League was tragedy strikes the Roosters. I feel this language is way too strong to describe a couple of bad but not career ending injuries. What happened to Mose Masoe was a tragedy what happened to Alex McKinnon was a tragedy, the Hillsborough disaster was a tragedy, someone tearing his ACL is just an injury and unfortunate. I feel only the Roosters would get such treatment by the media, this isn't their fault but the headline was hyperbolic even for Rugby League standards.

Most of the Sonny Bill signing was praise for the Roosters salary cap management and criticism of the NRL not the Roosters for setting his price like that. Most fans thought it was rigged but the media still came to your aid it was only Paul Kent or Ben Ikin slightly questioning it. Compare it to the Burton situation where Penrith get abuse off the same people for the way they handle their cap in a way in which they can't win by the old piss head. Penrith are expected to release someone who could be a hugely valuable member of their squad in the final year of their contract for no reason. If it was Lachlan Lam all you would hear is praise for your depth guaranteed.

Yes but it took other clubs complaining to be able to host games on anzac day, I don't blame the Roosters for the innovation, they had a good innovation with Penrith in the early 90's with the first ever Sunday night games which drew good crowds to both venues. It's more that no one else was allowed to do it for years and no Sydney club was allowed.

Funny you should mention that podcast I am an avid listener. I don't agree with everything they say but here are some statements from that show.

The Roosters may have been the ones to inadvertedly start Super League because of their pursuit of Canberra's best players at the time.

The Roosters were the true winners of the Super League war.

This week the hosts discussed the Roosters the one who supports the Raiders praised them for their support whereas the main host claimed it will be interesting to see how the Roosters travel when they do hit a bump in the road sometime in the next decade to 15 years. Which is basically the same point I made.

Also the show has only just started the 1996 season, It will be interesting to see their opinions on teams agreeing to keep the salary cap normal when the Roosters signed John Simon to add to their origin halves and Andrew Walker.

The main issue with the Roosters comes about with the criteria which benefitted them massively over everyone else in the competition. So you won't really hear much about them until they cover the 1998/99/00 seasons.

I just want to apologize for derailing the thread.

The point I was making is that a lot of the teams down the bottom lack professionalism at boardroom level especially the Cowboys and Broncos.

Also the Broncos defence for the first two tries last night was so lazy. The first try off the kick was ridiculous the ball hung in the air for ages and the Broncos only got 4 men over as cover defence. Then the try from the short sided play where they were outnumbered 6 to 5 you wouldn't expect that sort of defence from an under 12's team.

franklin2323

Immortal
An U/20 competition wasn't going to stop half the squad from walking at the Broncos. Even some of the best young players they had coming through left because of the direction the club went in.

I'm not completely ruling out the need for a national U/21 competition, but we just went through an entire year of no reserve grade period, of course there's going to be a depth problem.

Does other clubs come after those players if they have their own promising guys in their club?

There are probably half of the comp developing talent the rest buy it from those clubs and as a result get all these overpaid underperforming players.

Get more talented players in that pool it spreads further and improves the standard

nick87

Coach

Wooof... my guy... i dont want to step on your toes here but that Cronk Sin Bin was much closer to penalty try than it was no sin bin
FWIW i dont think it was a sin bin (though i think today, not even 2 years later it would be) but it was a slam dunk sin bin. Not even in question

the roosters won that game, and they deserved to win. Chances were few and far between in that game, we missed ours and they didnt.

Wooof... my guy... i dont want to step on your toes here but that Cronk Sin Bin was much closer to penalty try than it was no sin bin
FWIW i dont think it was a sin bin (though i think today, not even 2 years later it would be) but it was a slam dunk sin bin. Not even in question

Penalty try? I never thought it was. Sin bin? It may have been a tad harsh but it was completely justified and I had no complaints about it on the night nor now.

nick87

Coach
Penalty try? I never thought it was. Sin bin? It may have been a tad harsh but it was completely justified and I had no complaints about it on the night nor now.

To be clear, i dont think it was a penalty try either
But the decision around that was about penalty try or just a sin bin (and they got it right), not penalty sufficient or sin bin. The Sin Bin was an absolute given and the question was did it deserve more

I do think if that incident happened today, they'd award a penalty try. We've seen the penalty try rate rise decently since that game. The burden required to give one now seems to have been lowered from almost certain to score, to probably scores

nick87

Coach
Re the under 20's situation. I dont think the disparity in the competition has much to do with not having a U20's competition

I think we have a lot teams transitioning to new eras of their team right now, combine that with injury issues and weird covid things, and we end up with about 6 teams who have got their shit together and about 10 that are too early in their development to keep up yet, or in their darkest night situation

With or without U20's, the comp will even up in the next 2-3 years

Big Pete

Referee
Does other clubs come after those players if they have their own promising guys in their club?

There are probably half of the comp developing talent the rest buy it from those clubs and as a result get all these overpaid underperforming players.

Get more talented players in that pool it spreads further and improves the standard

But the NYC didn't enhance the player pool when it was active. It wasn't like we saw the number of generational talents increase at an exponential rate because of the NYC or teams finding themselves with an over-abundance of talent. We're 14 years removed from the introduction of the Gold Coast Titans and we're still trying to figure out where 30 extra players are supposed to come from and that was true through out the tenure of the NYC.

In theory the NYC sounds fine but in the 10 years it was around it didn't really add anything to the game. The clubs found it a hassle and it wasn't good for the wellbeing of a lot of players who thought they'd made only to find they'd hit their ceiling.

franklin2323

Immortal
Re the under 20's situation. I dont think the disparity in the competition has much to do with not having a U20's competition

I think we have a lot teams transitioning to new eras of their team right now, combine that with injury issues and weird covid things, and we end up with about 6 teams who have got their shit together and about 10 that are too early in their development to keep up yet, or in their darkest night situation

With or without U20's, the comp will even up in the next 2-3 years

It forces teams like Parra etc to develop their own talent though. That can't be a bad thing especially with the new team coming in

Pete Cash

Post Whore
How was your defensive line shot. It was a lazy Leilua who didn't get back in the line and was exploited by Keary that cost you. Nothing to do with the ref

How did beej end up one on one with Cordner. Lol I'm not really even asking for much just that I think a fairer outcome was cummins stopping the game for a second to minimise the impact that his error had on the game

You are throwing your toys out the pram over the suggestion the game be stopped for a few second

Perth Red

Post Whore
But the NYC didn't enhance the player pool when it was active. It wasn't like we saw the number of generational talents increase at an exponential rate because of the NYC or teams finding themselves with an over-abundance of talent. We're 14 years removed from the introduction of the Gold Coast Titans and we're still trying to figure out where 30 extra players are supposed to come from and that was true through out the tenure of the NYC.

In theory the NYC sounds fine but in the 10 years it was around it didn't really add anything to the game. The clubs found it a hassle and it wasn't good for the wellbeing of a lot of players who thought they'd made only to find they'd hit their ceiling.

I think a big part of the problem was still no genuine high quality reserve grade for the 20 year olds to then kick on to. Most players aren't going to be in first grade by 21. NSW cup and QRL cup may be the issue?

Reactions: siv