What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bobby Fulton - just how good was Bozo?

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
I was quite young when Fulton was running around for Easts. Even then you see he was an exceptional talent. The footage I've seen for Manly in Grand Finals and the Kangaroos showed his class.

I will add this about Bellamy. SOO record 9 games 2 wins. He also didn't have a great run with Country either. He is a large part of why NSW have been steamrolled for almost the last decade. In some way, Bellamy's record as NSW coach has further enhanced the reputation of his star players.

While Bellamy and Bozo have a win ratio about the same as coaches, at rep level Bozo has him absolutely smoked. I won't label Bellamy as a good or crap coach until after Slater and Smith retire... The only thing I can label him with is lucky....

Like most here, I think Fulton's time as a selector needs to come to an end though.

drago brelli

Bench
Hoppa done his poppa-in at the tigers,Terry Lamb was coach at that stage wasn't he? A grub with a grub understudy

Bob Fulton's teams won within the rules of the given competitions,Craig Bellamy's did not (Bar one but Pop's would rather win the JJ nothing award than the Proven-Summons),if Bellamy was half as good as Popsicle thinks he is Origin as a concept would never have died,what sort of coach can't even shut down the blokes he works with every single day of his life? a pathetic one thats what type
Hopoate's 'education' as a player began at Manly.

Last edited:

bottle

Coach
I was quite young when Fulton was running around for Easts. Even then you see he was an exceptional talent. The footage I've seen for Manly in Grand Finals and the Kangaroos showed his class.

I will add this about Bellamy. SOO record 9 games 2 wins. He also didn't have a great run with Country either. He is a large part of why NSW have been steamrolled for almost the last decade. In some way, Bellamy's record as NSW coach has further enhanced the reputation of his star players.

While Bellamy and Bozo have a win ratio about the same as coaches, at rep level Bozo has him absolutely smoked. I won't label Bellamy as a good or crap coach until after Slater and Smith retire... The only thing I can label him with is lucky....

Like most here, I think Fulton's time as a selector needs to come to an end though.

He'll give it away after that. Won't have the balls to keep going.
I've no doubt that he is well aware of his limitations.

TeamSatan

Juniors
Fulton was an excellent player .He was smart and ahead of his time.

Also played the referee's ...diving, faking, whinging incessantly. You can see how that rubbish is passed down to thru Toovey and now Lyon....Did you guys see Lyon run up screaming ,crying, like he was refereeing the game when they were beaten by the storm....Well that was Bozo reincarnated.

Fittler was a much better a player and human..Easily.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
He was brilliant. Fast, swerve, elusive, but i don’t believe he was better than Raper or Graeme Langlands. Langlands should have been picked ahead if him in the first immortal pick.

Last edited:

Fangs

Coach
And suppose you were a woman wed
Sleeping in a double bed
Beside one man for 7 years
You'd notice him.

My late Father and my late Great Uncle used to tell me he was one of the best players they had ever seen, and they had seen the 74-75 Roosters team (e.g. Beetson, Brass, Coote), the great Dragons players of the 60s (e.g. Provan, Gasnier, Raper), the Rabbitohs (e.g. Sattler, O'Neill, Coote) greats of the 60-70s and 50s (e.g. Rayner, Churchill), and even the great Dave Brown.

Both agreed though he had a big mouth on him and was a merciless sledger, which he passed on to his players when he coached (e.g. Geoff Toovey).

The_Frog

First Grade
Also played the referee's ...diving, faking, whinging incessantly.
Phil Gould tells a story of when he was newly appointed 19 year old Penrith captain in 1978 and Bozo was Roosters captain at the back end of his career. The game was at the old Sports Ground, where the ground ran east west so the team running west had the sun in their face in the second half, a distinct disadvantage. The toss was done in the sheds and Gus won, but Bozo led his team out for the first half running east-west, ie the way Gould had chosen. Gus had to go to the ref and get him to tell Bozo to send his team to the other end of the field. Bozo acted dumb of course. Penrith ended up winning this game in what would have been a major upset.

Last edited:
Phil Gould tells a story of when he was newly appointed 19 year old Penrith captain in 1978 and Bozo was Roosters captain at the back end of his career. The game was at the old Sports Ground, where the ground ran east west so the team running west had the sun in their face in the second half, a distinct disadvantage. The toss was done in the sheds and Gus won, but Bozo led his team out for the first half running east-west, ie the way Gould had chosen. Gus had to go to the ref and get him to tell Bozo to send his team to the other end of the field. Bozo acted dumb of course. Penrith ended up winning this game in what would have been a major upset.

It was a major upset, Frog. The shit I copped at school the next day! Artie’s first full time coaching gig after trying captain/coach for a season, I think.

Latest posts