What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What has actually happened to Jake Trbojevic?

Meth

Staff member
Might seem like an oddly timed post, given Manly just beat us last night. But as I was watching last night, I was wondering- what has actually happened to him?

In 2019, he was in the top couple of middle forwards. Now he is probably middle of the pack?

Still has the same work ethic, but seems pretty trash in comparison to what he was.

Is it a gameplan thing?

What has actually happened to the bloke?

SDM

First Grade
I have to agree, it appears he has gone to shit, but maybe he was just Josh Jackson level the entire time.

firechild

First Grade
I think it has a lot to do with the players around him. Having a good hooker to help roll the forwards along makes a world of difference. Korisau and Fainu could do that, give him time and then combining with his brother he looked near unstoppable.

TheDalek079

Bench
Some people have suggested that his style of play doesn't suit the new rule changes of the last couple of seasons

nick87

Coach
His style of player is never going to look very impressive when the team around him is so bad. I take the point that he's not looked as dynamic and agile around the ruck this year as he has in years past but i think the main issue he's got right now is his style is about doing all these little things for the pack. Pushing the ball forward on tough carries, the little ball playing and tip on plays around the ruck. Being a workhorse on both sides of the ball... and by doing all that, it allows his other forwards to be fresher and they can make splashy plays, and because he's such a workhorse, he's always around to collect offloads and help finish off plays

But without those quality players around him, his style just becomes sort of ineffective and pointless.

skeepe

Immortal
His style of player is never going to look very impressive when the team around him is so bad. I take the point that he's not looked as dynamic and agile around the ruck this year as he has in years past but i think the main issue he's got right now is his style is about doing all these little things for the pack. Pushing the ball forward on tough carries, the little ball playing and tip on plays around the ruck. Being a workhorse on both sides of the ball... and by doing all that, it allows his other forwards to be fresher and they can make splashy plays, and because he's such a workhorse, he's always around to collect offloads and help finish off plays

But without those quality players around him, his style just becomes sort of ineffective and pointless.

I actually think he’s trying too hard to be honest. Last night was only their second win in their last 14 games.

He strikes me as the kind of guy who will try to put the team on his back when they’re struggling, and he’s overplaying his hand. He’s too good to struggle forever.

betcats

Referee
He’s still quality Manly just suck. Last night was the first time they looked like they actually wanted to win.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
As my daughter would say playing rocket league, shyte teamates.

Misses his bro more than most.

Will be fine in blue.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I think he just passed the ball to his brother who would make a break which made everyone think he was good when he’s actually bog ordinary

Mr. Shaman

First Grade
Des happened.

Thought he was much better last night, particularly towards the end, his strong run and very quick play the ball allowed the FG to happen.

gunpk

Juniors
Des has ruined him.
Seriously though he has never been a strong ball runner but he seems to fall down on the first contact these days.
Him catching the ball first receiver then passing has become too predictable.
I also think the new rules have killed the old school tacklers like Jake who used to cut players down going low.

perverse

Referee

Yep. When you glue a bunch of shit together... what do you have? A big ball of shit. Jake is the glue.

shear_joy9

Coach
people continue to bag the cows for JT's contract when Jake is on $950k for another 4 years and playing like a complete donkey.

Wizardman

First Grade
Has always relied on his brother in attack. His defence is as good as any though.

This!

His attack from day one has been very much on the overrated side of things. On the other side of the ball, when you consider all of the qualities of defence, he is the best defender in rugby league.

Latest posts