What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where to from here?

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I'm totally fine with the attack at the moment to be honest. I just want us to kick better at the end of sets. Not even attacking kicks but field position and repeat set kicks. I don't want to see another pointless midfield bomb ever again...

You’re right about the kicks, the midfield bomb basically just seems to be the default option. I wouldn’t mind seeing us use the chip kick every now and then or maybe a grubber through the line especially with Ponga and Watson on the field. But yeah when we’re 40-50 metres out I would like to see more flat, driving type kicks into the corner or aimed at sitting up in the in goal.

Yosh

Coach
You’re right about the kicks, the midfield bomb basically just seems to be the default option. I wouldn’t mind seeing us use the chip kick every now and then or maybe a grubber through the line especially with Ponga and Watson on the field. But yeah when we’re 40-50 metres out I would like to see more flat, driving type kicks into the corner or aimed at sitting up in the in goal.

We have a really strong forward pack. Why not drive it long and play the field position game? Make their wingers turn around make sure they take their first tackle in the corner every single time.

Jono078

Referee
I want to know if that’s a coached thing or Mitchell Pearce. Because Mann defaulted to that last week too.

I’m sure Green will mix it up, and if not then gotta question the coaches and their thoughts about producing that kick all the time.

Knight Tales

Juniors
Not completing the One percenters at crucial times only reason we have lost two games. We have a great coach but I do wish he’d chill out on the lads when they are working their arses off under duress.

Yosh

Coach
Seen more variety and quality kicks in 40 minutes from the Panthers halves than I've seen in a decade from the Knights...

Why do we always just midfield bomb it? Why not at least make the kicks spiral bombs or contested bombs?

Why do we never kick early? Why do we never chip and chase? Why does noone ever grubber for themselves? Why don't we kick it behind the winger into the corner?

Anyone got any answers?

Spot On

Coach
Seen more variety and quality kicks in 40 minutes from the Panthers halves than I've seen in a decade from the Knights...

Why do we always just midfield bomb it? Why not at least make the kicks spiral bombs or contested bombs?

Why do we never kick early? Why do we never chip and chase? Why does noone ever grubber for themselves? Why don't we kick it behind the winger into the corner?

Anyone got any answers?

Why would you expect a million dollar half to have the range of kicks other halfbacks have Yosh?

Loose Cannon

Bench
Can’t find it in here, but sure it was suggested that our kicking strategy (Pearce’s “strategy”...hahaha) was instruction from the coach.

Apparently the suggestion is a high, midfield, no pressure bomb to be caught on the 20 unopposed allows our defensive structure to maintain it’s integrity.

I have an alternative theory. A low driving kick for the corner allows;
a) the winger/fullback to be caught without options, and burn off 2 to 3 plays with tough carries.
b) the ball may cross the touch line, resulting in a midfield PTB and a set defensive line, burning of 2 to 3 plays with tough carries.

For reference, see Penrith, Melbourne, Canberra, Roosters, Souths, even Gold Coast.

I expect Blake Green is partial to the alternative game plan.

Spot On

Coach
Can’t find it in here, but sure it was suggested that our kicking strategy (Pearce’s “strategy”...hahaha) was instruction from the coach.

Apparently the suggestion is a high, midfield, no pressure bomb to be caught on the 20 unopposed allows our defensive structure to maintain it’s integrity.

a) the winger/fullback to be caught without options, and burn off 2 to 3 plays with tough carries.
b) the ball may cross the touch line, resulting in a midfield PTB and a set defensive line, burning of 2 to 3 plays with tough carries.

For reference, see Penrith, Melbourne, Canberra, Roosters, Souths, even Gold Coast.

Exactly.

Heard that garbage theory before. Meanwhile, teams with halves that are able to apply pressure through their varied kicking games are generally playing in finals series, winning semis, making GFs and winning GFs. Hell, repeat sets may help a team apply more pressure and give them more opportunities to attack and score points. See Penrith last night for proof of that 'theory' (fact).

The others are generally filling the bottom 8.

The fact is, Pearce does not have the skill set to control a game and constantly apply pressure through a varied kicking game.

Matt Burton's kicking game for Penrith the other week was exceptional for a rookie. Non of this 'high, midfield, no pressure, tiny bomb' rubbish.

Last edited:

Old dog

Juniors
Even a non talented kicker will get better with constant practice and some advice/coaching from past expert. For no other reason variation puts doubts in oppositions mind. Can’t understand how a 10+ years half wouldn’t have that ability.

Spot On

Coach
Been protected in the media for entire career. Then a Nathan Brown came along and gave him a million a year because he 'plays on the ball'.

Problem was, Browny didn't buy anyone else to carry him and make up for the huge deficiencies in his halfback skills and over all footy smarts and game management/awareness.

Volcom6685

Juniors
It wasn’t just said . Adzy came out and confirmed it . That that is the game plan . And Junior follows it to a T

slotmachine

First Grade
That was after the warriors game. Wanted their potent back three nullified.

But after the tigers game coach was highly critical of the fifth tackle options.

Knight76

Juniors
It wasn’t just said . Adzy came out and confirmed it . That that is the game plan . And Junior follows it to a T

I dont think he ever specifically confirmed endless midfield bombs was the game plan.

He did say Pearce follows a game plan, you tell pearce what to do and he goes and does it.

OB must be also telling him we dont need any of those repeat sets from line drop outs as well. Oh, and if you can, get tackled on the 5th several times a game to keep em guessing, that would be great also.

I guess if this is the game plan, we will see midfield bombs all game from Green and co today. How exciting.

Didnt OB say our end of set options were poor recently? Must have meant where D saf finished the set on the field ready to D up or something.

Spot On

Coach

He sure does - that's all he is capable of.

Nothing like tailoring a game plan around your million dollar half and his strengths.

Ivan Cleary, Wayne Bennett and Craig Bellamy should employ that tactic every week to help improve their sides win/loss ratio.

Yosh

Coach
I think if we can see it, our head coach can definitely see it. I think he doesn't trust Pearce with any other kick but the midfield bomb. Try to get it into the corner, out for a 20m restart. Same for grubber in behind. Perhaps even he was instructed not to kick it too close to the try line because they will catch it in goal for a 20m restart.

Either way, our kicking game looks like it is from the 1970s. I hope with Green and a new halves partner, we spice things up.

Knight Tales

Juniors
Given the recent rumblings of Clifford wanting to backflip on his deal it seems rather odd he now has asked for a formal release from NQ to come here. Managers playing games with media more like it! I doubt he ever tried to get out of that deal.

Where to from here?

bottom 4.
We're very lucky the Bulldogs, Broncos and Cowboys are some all-time plodder sides. Then again, those same sides have flogged us at different stages over the past few seasons.

2 top tier halves and a healthy roster would turn everything around imo. It's amazing our roster is as strong as it is given that Pearce and Ponga are sucking up 2 million dollars of the cap and not earning a cent of it. Surely we're going hard at Adam Reynolds.

Jono078

Referee
Even a non talented kicker will get better with constant practice and some advice/coaching from past expert. For no other reason variation puts doubts in oppositions mind. Can’t understand how a 10+ years half wouldn’t have that ability.
I don't know if anyone here follows the UFC, or MMA or boxing... But to use an analogy, it's like throwing a jab over and over and hoping one eventually does something, but as you keep throwing, your opponent knows what to expect and is comfortable in dealing with it.

I'm starting to have concerns with our roster moving forward. Next year we gain Clifford but will probably lose some solid starters.

Are we banking big on these young UK talents to break through?

I hope our recruitment has something good up their sleeve because we've been a little stagnate in this department for a while it feels.

In regards to this season, it's early days, I think when/if we get our full team we will give plenty of team headaches. The challenge is to not drop too low mentally which the kind of game we had today can potentially be the start of that snowball.

Jono078

Referee
Where to from here?

bottom 4.
We have the 11th best defense so far. I think if our season continues as is, that's looking likely as a final ladder position.

Can't see us finishing below Cowboys, Bulldogs or the Sea Eagles. Should finish ahead of the Broncos too.

Latest posts