What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The big NRL divide

siv

First Grade
Goulds argument doesn’t seem to make sense to me. Dont all nrl clubs use qrl or nsw clubs to develop their 16-20 year olds? If the successful clubs are doing this then how can that be the problem?

You will find all NSW clubs run their own U17 U19 and U21 teams in NSW. Canberra and Newcastle opted out if 21s post covid but I expect them to return

3 Queensland NRL clubs spread this across 3 or 4 clubs

Warriors have started their own U20s national comp. But used to play in the NSW Comp pre covid

Melbourne play U19 & U21 in the NSW comp

So its only the 3 NRL Qld clubs effectively not playing

Reserve Grade or NSW Cup is effectively operating in a similar manner. But its interesting, if you get a few injuries like Cronulla did at NRL level, we saw Newtown have 60 put on them when they fielded local contracted players. I doubt this would have happened if Cronulla were in charge of the RG team and U20 team. Where better U18 or A grade district(multi club) players would have stepped up

But spreading the takent across multiple clubs like Qld is trying to do will geberate a overall lower standard RG player and this eventually impacts NRL

Its no coincidence that this started to become a issue 4 years after NYC ended in Qld

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
But the NYC didn't enhance the player pool when it was active. It wasn't like we saw the number of generational talents increase at an exponential rate because of the NYC or teams finding themselves with an over-abundance of talent. We're 14 years removed from the introduction of the Gold Coast Titans and we're still trying to figure out where 30 extra players are supposed to come from and that was true through out the tenure of the NYC.

In theory the NYC sounds fine but in the 10 years it was around it didn't really add anything to the game. The clubs found it a hassle and it wasn't good for the wellbeing of a lot of players who thought they'd made only to find they'd hit their ceiling.

You are joking right? Did you not watch the penrith game last night? The bulk of that winning team are the NYC grand finalist, the reason Luai and Cleary combine so well is because of the NYC comp, you cant get that type of cohesion from a squad, unless they've all played from the juniors all together, and that cannot happen in brisbane, they have 6+ teams to feed them, thats 30+ different combinations just for their halves, when you have a vast pool to pick from , youll never get ot right unless you test it in the NYC team that you can promote to your 1st grade, reserve grade is for the reserve graders, and teams that don't exist for the NRL clubs, e.g. norths feeding easts

Perth Red

Post Whore
You are joking right? Did you not watch the penrith game last night? The bulk of that winning team are the NYC grand finalist, the reason Luai and Cleary combine so well is because of the NYC comp, you cant get that type of cohesion from a squad, unless they've all played from the juniors all together, and that cannot happen in brisbane, they have 6+ teams to feed them, thats 30+ different combinations just for their halves, when you have a vast pool to pick from , youll never get ot right unless you test it in the NYC team that you can promote to your 1st grade, reserve grade is for the reserve graders, and teams that don't exist for the NRL clubs, e.g. norths feeding easts

I guess the problem in brisbane is abit like wafl here where f9r years the wafl comp didn’t want Eagles and Dockers reserve grades in it because it would kill the comp with the best players all concentrated in one or two teams. Smae with the brisbane comp I guess if Broncos stacked just one club in it?

Big Pete

Referee

But couldn't Penrith have achieved the same results with the existence of Harold Matthews, SG Ball, Jersey Flegg and Canterbury Cup? It's a testament to their development but the pathways are there for them.

Meanwhile you look at Melbourne they have three development clubs in the Thunderbolts, Tigers and Falcons and they seem to be doing OK.

I just don't see how the existence of an NYC competition would have saved the Broncos or the Cowboys. To me there's just more pressing matters than the amount of juniors coming through their system.

MugaB

Coach
But couldn't Penrith have achieved the same results with the existence of Harold Matthews, SG Ball, Jersey Flegg and Canterbury Cup? It's a testament to their development but the pathways are there for them.

Meanwhile you look at Melbourne they have three development clubs in the Thunderbolts, Tigers and Falcons and they seem to be doing OK.

I just don't see how the existence of an NYC competition would have saved the Broncos or the Cowboys. To me there's just more pressing matters than the amount of juniors coming through their system.
The point is Penrith and Melbourne can acheive this regardless of NYC, the other 10-12 clubs that aren't in the top 4-6 are not able to or want to, a NYC can force every club to prepate the 1st grade team better than they are doing now, its the dumb management of most clubs that won't want to invest in youth, i reckon it should be mandatory, as a part of holding an NRL licence, and if not put in place the the licence can be given to clubs that do want to, e.g. perth

Big Pete

Referee
The point is Penrith and Melbourne can acheive this regardless of NYC, the other 10-12 clubs that aren't in the top 4-6 are not able to or want to, a NYC can force every club to prepate the 1st grade team better than they are doing now, its the dumb management of most clubs that won't want to invest in youth, i reckon it should be mandatory, as a part of holding an NRL licence, and if not put in place the the licence can be given to clubs that do want to, e.g. perth

Would it though? Canterbury struggled to field a quality NYC team after 2013 and they're just feeling the bad effects now. Surely there would be other ways to incentivise clubs to develop their own players than bringing in the NYC?

Then on the other side of the coin, the Broncos have one of the best development pathways in the game but they jumped the gun way too early and find themselves in the position where they're fending off these ridiculous offers.

SDM

First Grade
Everyone crying about the mismatched comp, but no one has had their season ended yet.

King hit

Coach
Please don't bring up 2019 it's triggering enough. With hindsight I wish cummins had just stopped the game for a second to let us reset the line. He ultimately got the call right but we were disadvantaged by the absolute meal he made of it and it left us shot. Slowing the game down for even 40 seconds while he said "my bad" might have limited the impact his error had on a very good game of footy. I've no issues admitting the roosters were the better team though. Hats off to them

Back on topic last night's game shows my biggest issue. South's smacked the bronx without even trying.
Do you have hate for BJ for not passing to Rapana in that game

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Do you have hate for BJ for not passing to Rapana in that game

Nah because that would be silly to focus on these individual moments. I don't "hate" Tapine for turning his back opening up the gap for the roosters first try. Players make errors. It's gotta be balanced by the good they do

Beej pulled off the big play against Melbourne to win that game. Swings and roundabouts innit. I think we got more out of beej than we lost and we might be the only club he's played for that can say that ?

Roosters were just the better side

justdave

Juniors
Because it trapped the non scoring team continually in it’s own half and lead to the kick off team threatening the defensive try line over and over which lead to blow outs.

It was actually brought in to stop blowouts but had the opposite effect.

I hated Super League but it did lead to some great rule changes. This was not one of them

Because it trapped the non scoring team continually in it’s own half and lead to the kick off team threatening the defensive try line over and over which lead to blow outs.

It was actually brought in to stop blowouts but had the opposite effect.

I hated Super League but it did lead to some great rule changes. This was not one of them

We’ve seen games where teams just get a mountain of possession and start piling on tries when fatigue sets in for the defenders. Giving them the ball back would give them a chance to get their breath back, wouldn’t it? You at least have a chance of turning things around when you’re in possession.

Last edited: