What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

If we did, we wouldn't be paying the dollars you guys are...LOL
True that, but my god it’s like a Fifita / Gallen team

anyway, I really hope Fifi isn’t coming. That knee is crap and as a result his lateral movement is ordinary in my opinion. There was a really good example of it against Canberra in the lead up to one of their tries.

Morris would have him in the top side if he was right to go

mickeylane

Bench
Our club thanks to Hook (Not Millward) is getting a lot smarter w recruitment - just heard on triple M that other clubs are underwriting us for just on $1M in yearly contract payment subsidies for players:
Bird - Broncos
McCulloch - Broncos
Alvaro - Parra
and now Mcguire - Cowboys

Hooks paid his way already and it's only Round 5!!

Gareth67

First Grade
Our club thanks to Hook (Not Millward) is getting a lot smarter w recruitment - just heard on triple M that other clubs are underwriting us for just on $1M in yearly contract payment subsidies for players:
Bird - Broncos
McCulloch - Broncos
Alvaro - Parra

What a reversal that is , amazing ! As you have said mickey , they finally have someone who can use his noggin for a change and it’s paying dividends .

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Bird - Broncos
McCulloch - Broncos
Alvaro - Parra

James Graham....?

TruSaint

Referee
Bird - Broncos
McCulloch - Broncos
Alvaro - Parra

So our coach sought, negotiated, and closed these deals without the help of Millward ?

Im impressed with where we are heading, but Hook, and a few of those signings have a way to go. I am not sold on AM, and not so sure that McGuire will be a good fit.

Love the enthusiasm, but a tad early to be calling such signings a masterstroke.

Edit:- How about Merrin as a signing ?

Last edited:

Como Connection

First Grade
So our coach sought, negotiated, and closed these deals without the help of Millward ?

Im impressed with where we are heading, but Hook, and a few of those signings have a way to go. I am not sold on AM, and not so sure that McGuire will be a good fit.

Love the enthusiasm, but a tad early to be calling such signings a masterstroke.

Edit:- How about Merrin as a signing ?
Your hard to please.
CC

mickeylane

Bench
Not really.

Im very "pleased" with where we are heading and enjoying watching us play.

Just think its a little early to call Hook some messiah. No more no less.
My post wasn't about the quality of the players but the fact that other clubs are underwriting 4 key players to the tune of a $1M per year..if you dont think that's impressive then your very hard to please.......

TruSaint

Referee
Hook's going well but let's face it, after McFail, Mr Squiggle would look a shade messianic!

Much more succinct that I.

Yes, we are all happy. Just some perspective please. Near on a decade of dismal failure would cause any fan to become cautious of unrealistic expectations.

We have started real well. I enjoy the brand of footy we are playing. On the gaffer and new signings, the jury is out.

TruSaint

Referee
My post wasn't about the quality of the players but the fact that other clubs are underwriting 4 key players to the tune of a $1M per year..if you dont think that's impressive then your very hard to please.......

Bit you assigned those financial benefits to Hook and Hook alone.

That's my point.

No Im not hard to please.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Bird - Broncos
McCulloch - Broncos
Alvaro - Parra

I think Hook would be setting the budget & leaving Millward to negotiate within the assigned budget. Hook is clearly a very astute salary cap manager like many other experienced coaches. He knows which players he wants but only on our terms otherwise he moves on. With a number of players off contract this year & plenty of cap space I think we’ll have quite a formidable squad in 2022.

Dragsters

First Grade

That's my point.

It's great that we are leveraging salary cap cash from other clubs but gotta say mickey, that's how I read it too...

mickeylane

Bench

That's my point.

Because it was Hook and Hook alone - if you notice every player signed has a history w Hook...it wasnt "sleeping on the wheel" Millward.. Hooks paw prints over every player signed...

Maddragon99

Juniors
Because it was Hook and Hook alone - if you notice every player signed has a history w Hook...it wasnt "sleeping on the wheel" Millward.. Hooks paw prints over every player signed...
A winning culture makes it easier to attract better talent. Would the Billy Burns deal have happened last year when we were 0-4?

TruSaint

Referee

Yes every player had a history with Hook.

Inc Merrin and AM. Neither of which I am convinced of as yet.

Like I said im happy with where we are.

You make it sound like Griffin is Bennett who brought us Boyd / Costigan and co.

Its f**king round 4. Also, may i say, whilst Griffin may have targeted the players you mention, It still had to be dealt with at Millwards level.

You are giving 100% credit to one man, in a matter that is far more complex.