What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Maddragon99

Juniors
I’ve been one of Corey Norman’s biggest critics but even I have to acknowledge Corey’s form has significantly lifted. Whether it’s because he’s in a contract year or maybe he’s responded to the new coaching regime but based on form & the fact he’s injury free he deserves a contract for 2021& beyond.

My argument is that given our depth in the halves it’s time for us to move on & look to develop Sullivan so he’s a starter.

So given there’s no future for Norman with us shouldn’t we be looking to trade Norman to Nth Qld for McGuire now? The Cows has just lost Morgan to retirement & Clifford is leaving at years end. Of all the clubs out there Nth Qld looks to be the best suitor for Norman.

I just hope the brains trust at the club sees there’s an opportunity to finally offload Norman & get a good trade piece in return.

Maddragon99

Juniors
It’s been long said, you can’t win a Comp in April but you can lose one. After watching Newcastle get thumped today by the GC I don’t think they will fully recover from their KO loss against us. We have a hard as nails pack & other clubs will start to fear us particularly if we can get McGuire.

Como Connection

First Grade
I’ve been one of Corey Norman’s biggest critics but even I have to acknowledge Corey’s form has significantly lifted. Whether it’s because he’s in a contract year or maybe he’s responded to the new coaching regime but based on form & the fact he’s injury free he deserves a contract for 2021& beyond.

My argument is that given our depth in the halves it’s time for us to move on & look to develop Sullivan so he’s a starter.

So given there’s no future for Norman with us shouldn’t we be looking to trade Norman to Nth Qld for McGuire now? The Cows has just lost Morgan to retirement & Clifford is leaving at years end. Of all the clubs out there Nth Qld looks to be the best suitor for Norman.

I just hope the brains trust at the club sees there’s an opportunity to finally offload Norman & get a good trade piece in return.
Normy has stepped up in leading the team, he's going fine.
CC

Maddragon99

Juniors
Cowboys enforcer Josh McGuire set to join the Dragons by the end of the week
WRITTEN BYLACHLAN MCKIRDY
@LMcKirdy7

josh-mcguire_ayjng29q5nhh1j5qfojyp96xf.jpg

LEAGUE
LEAGUE
NORTH QUEENSLAND COWBOYS
CRONULLA-SUTHERLAND SHARKS
ST. GEORGE-ILLAWARRA DRAGONS

Josh McGuire is set to link up with his former coach Anthony Griffin at the St. George-Illawarra Dragons by the end of the next week.

According to The Australian's Brent Read, the 31-year-old representative forward has likely played his last match with the North Queensland Cowboys.

Cowboys coach Todd Payten confirmed after last week's disappointing loss to the Sharks that McGuire had been granted permission to negotiate with other clubs.

RELATED NEWSDIVIDER

McGuire is missing the Cowboys round five match against the Wests Tigers due to an infection in his elbow.

MORE: Panthers fans’ Viking Clap all in ‘good fun’, overconfidence not an issue for players, says Ivan Cleary

However, Read stated that McGuire's mid-season move to the Dragons could be confirmed as soon as this weekend.

"The Josh McGuire negotiations continue with the Dragons," Read said on Triple M on Saturday afternoon.

"The likelihood is that it will be finalised at some point, if not over the weekend, early next week.

"He won't play this weekend, he's actually got an infection I believe in his elbow and he would have been 50/50 to play anyway.

"I think they've just decided that he's probably not going to be there next week, he hasn't played a lot of footy lately, it's best to persist without him this weekend.

"I expect that in the coming days there will be an announcement he will be moving to St. George-Illawarra."

If the move does happen, it would be the second former Broncos player Griffin has reunited with after Andrew McCullough joined the Dragons in the pre-season.

There was speculation during the week that the Cowboys were seeking a player in return for McGuire's early release.

Halfback Adam Clune was one name that was reported however Read confirmed that the delay in negotiations was over money and not a player release.

"The bigger issue there was money, because he's (McGuire) on a big deal next year," Read said.

"The two parties had to agree on an amount the Cowboys would put in next season to make the deal palatable for St. George."

McGuire was one of a number of experienced Cowboys players to publically slam their effort so far in 2021.

After their loss to the Titans, McGuire didn't mince his words and suggested that the lack of effort was engrained within the club.

Read also confirmed that the Dragons had not yet begun contract negotiations with Corey Norman who is off-contract for 2022.

Chambers and Widdop being shopped to the Cronulla Sharks
On the other side of the Georges River, two of rugby league's veterans are reportedly being shopped around to the Cronulla Sharks.

The Sharks have a number of high-profile players off-contract for 2022 including Shaun Johnson, Josh Dugan, Andrew Fifita and Matthew Moylan.

It means that they are ready to spend some of that money and it's no surprise agents are making sure their clients at the top of their shopping list.

With over 400 games of NRL experience between them, it is believed both Gareth Widdop and Will Chambers are wanting to return to the competition.

"Gareth Widdop will be coming back to the NRL next year," Read said.

"He's been actively shopped to the Cowboys, he's been shopped to Cronulla. He's playing in the Super League at the moment.

"He desperately wants to get back here and has been offered to Cronulla.

"Will Chambers, he's playing rugby overseas...but he wants to come back to the NRL as well and he is being actively shopped around and Cronulla is one of the clubs that is being targeted for Will Chambers.

"They've got a lot of money to spend, they've got a lot of options, and those two blokes are definitely on the radar."

getsmarty

Immortal
@LMcKirdy7

LEAGUE
LEAGUE
NORTH QUEENSLAND COWBOYS

Josh McGuire is set to link up with his former coach Anthony Griffin at the St. George-Illawarra Dragons by the end of the next week.

According to The Australian's Brent Read, the 31-year-old representative forward has likely played his last match with the North Queensland Cowboys.

Cowboys coach Todd Payten confirmed after last week's disappointing loss to the Sharks that McGuire had been granted permission to negotiate with other clubs.

RELATED NEWSDIVIDER

McGuire is missing the Cowboys round five match against the Wests Tigers due to an infection in his elbow.

MORE: Panthers fans’ Viking Clap all in ‘good fun’, overconfidence not an issue for players, says Ivan Cleary

However, Read stated that McGuire's mid-season move to the Dragons could be confirmed as soon as this weekend.

"The Josh McGuire negotiations continue with the Dragons," Read said on Triple M on Saturday afternoon.

"The likelihood is that it will be finalised at some point, if not over the weekend, early next week.

"He won't play this weekend, he's actually got an infection I believe in his elbow and he would have been 50/50 to play anyway.

"I think they've just decided that he's probably not going to be there next week, he hasn't played a lot of footy lately, it's best to persist without him this weekend.

"I expect that in the coming days there will be an announcement he will be moving to St. George-Illawarra."

If the move does happen, it would be the second former Broncos player Griffin has reunited with after Andrew McCullough joined the Dragons in the pre-season.

There was speculation during the week that the Cowboys were seeking a player in return for McGuire's early release.

Halfback Adam Clune was one name that was reported however Read confirmed that the delay in negotiations was over money and not a player release.

"The bigger issue there was money, because he's (McGuire) on a big deal next year," Read said.

"The two parties had to agree on an amount the Cowboys would put in next season to make the deal palatable for St. George."

McGuire was one of a number of experienced Cowboys players to publically slam their effort so far in 2021.

After their loss to the Titans, McGuire didn't mince his words and suggested that the lack of effort was engrained within the club.

Read also confirmed that the Dragons had not yet begun contract negotiations with Corey Norman who is off-contract for 2022.

On the other side of the Georges River, two of rugby league's veterans are reportedly being shopped around to the Cronulla Sharks.

The Sharks have a number of high-profile players off-contract for 2022 including Shaun Johnson, Josh Dugan, Andrew Fifita and Matthew Moylan.

It means that they are ready to spend some of that money and it's no surprise agents are making sure their clients at the top of their shopping list.

With over 400 games of NRL experience between them, it is believed both Gareth Widdop and Will Chambers are wanting to return to the competition.

"He's been actively shopped to the Cowboys, he's been shopped to Cronulla. He's playing in the Super League at the moment.

"Will Chambers, he's playing rugby overseas...but he wants to come back to the NRL as well and he is being actively shopped around and Cronulla is one of the clubs that is being targeted for Will Chambers.

"They've got a lot of money to spend, they've got a lot of options, and those two blokes are definitely on the radar."

Thanks for Posting....Do you have a Link ???

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
@LMcKirdy7

LEAGUE
LEAGUE
NORTH QUEENSLAND COWBOYS

RELATED NEWSDIVIDER

I’d legit take Widdop back.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

Agree M- Norman irritates the hell out of me- he's harder to get rid of than Patterson's curse- just when his contract is up, he starts producing the goods. Maybe I'm being unrealistic, but considering the money he's on, he should be (and should have been since arriving at the Red V) dominating in the way Cameron Munster does-week in, week out.

In all the years he's been here, I've yet to see Norman play a game where I've been able to say that he did it all - kick a 40/20, put on a big hit, use his pace and footwork to make a break, put a player through a gap, throw a long Dufty like pass onto a winger's chest, back up a break and run 40 metres to score and ABOVE ALL- not drift in and out of a game -which he's notorious for.

Apologists for Norman will say that Mary didn't use him optimally eg the old chestnut that he's a better player at 7 where he's running the show. Well, he's not playing at 7 now and he's playing better-so much for that myth. If you are a truly great player (like a Thurston or Lockyer) you'll be great wherever you play.

Clune, who offers cover, not just for the halves but dummy half as well where we are a bit skinny, should not be the one going to North Queensland. I don't want McGuire anyway but if Hook feels he gives us something, give the cows Norman and play Clune and Hunt in the halves with Sullivan on the bench for impact.

However, while Payten is a newcomer to the coaching business, he impresses me as no one's fool so he'd probably think he's swapping one troublesome idiot for another.