What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R5 eels

Mickthedragon

Juniors
Missed the game due to work but what a performance. Sounds like the D was immense all game and hook really has them fired up. Awesome stuff, bring on next week. Hopefully, we can get a big crowd out there.

getsmarty

Immortal
remote.axd

Match Highlights: Eels v Dragons

MATCH REPORT

Dragons knock Eels out of top four with fourth straight win
Author
Troy Whittaker NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Sun 11 Apr 2021, 09:49 PM
Share on social media
Do the St George Illawarra fans dare start dreaming?

The defiant Dragons handed the Eels a 26-12 loss – their first of the season – on Sunday night to record four straight wins for the first time since 2019 and replace their opponents in the top four.

Dynamic fullback Matt Dufty starred with two tries and two first-half assists for Jack Bird and Mikaele Ravalawa but the scoreboard didn't quite reflect a tough contest where Parramatta struggled to execute.

St George Illawarra's goal-line and scramble defence was outstanding as they displayed line-speed and aggression from the get-go, shocking the Eels and mounting an 18-0 half-time lead.

They overcame the sin-binning of Tariq Sims early in the second half, after which the hosts finally scored, to eventually kick clear.

Match: Eels v Dragons

Round 5 - Sunday 11th April

Full Time

Home Team

Eels

Scored 12 points

Away Team

Dragons

Scored 26 points

Venue: Bankwest Stadium, Sydney

"That's probably been just a feature of the last couple of weeks. We work really hard on our defence," coach Anthony Griffin said.

"They're just enjoying their footy at the moment. We’re not playing as well as you’d like all the time - that second half [for example] - but sometimes, particularly early in the year, you don’t have to. You have to get the basics right defensively and we did that for long periods.

"I don’t think we’re doing anything special. We’re doing what we need to do if we want to be a good football side."

Griffin said his team's attack for the opening 40 minutes was the slickest it's been. Dufty, who is finding a balance between exploiting space around the ruck and ball-playing on the edges, was the key.

remote.axd

Get Caught Up: Round 5 must-see moments

Get Caught Up: Round 5 must-see moments

But despite Dufty's performance, Griffin wouldn't be drawn on whether he'd seen enough from the pocket rocket and fellow off-contract star Corey Norman to make them retention priorities.

"[Dufty] is learning the real fine arts of playing fullback in tight football games like tonight," Griffin added.

"He needs to keep improving to unlock his potential."

A couple of debatable decisions went against the Eels.

The first was Dufty's 11th-minute penalty try after he broke clear from an Adam Clune inside pass and kicked ahead for himself, only to be knocked off course by Nathan Brown as he neared the in-goal.

The Bunker ruled the speedster would have won the race to the ball, much to the chagrin of the parochial Bankwest Stadium crowd.

Then with 13 minutes to go, Parramatta captain Clint Gutherson dived under the posts following a Dylan Brown bust but the Bunker deemed that Junior Paulo obstructed Tyrell Fuimaono in the lead-up.

Moments later, Clune split the line and provided Dufty with his double to seal the win despite Gutherson crossing at the end.

remote.axd

Bunker awards penalty try to Dufty

Bunker awards penalty try to Dufty

The Dragons boasted a completion rate of 90% in the first half, finishing the match at 83% after errors crept into their game.

A fifth-minute Gutherson mistake gave St George Illawarra a prime opportunity, with Bird claiming his maiden NRL try for his junior club and his first since 2019 after being put into a hole by Dufty.

The custodian added his name to the scoresheet with the penalty try and in the 32nd minute he threw a delightful left-to-right long ball for Fijian winger Ravalawa to produce a spectacular finish.

St George Illawarra were pinged for a plethora of ruck infringements to begin the second half – they committed nine compared to the Eels' five overall – but Parramatta didn't take full advantage.

Zac Lomax added a penalty goal to steady the ship after Papali'i's try and provide the visitors with a 14-point buffer.

Dragons players spoke earlier in the week about the squad’s tight-knit bond and that was apparent as they continually rallied to repel the Eels before their electric No.1 put the game to bed.

Sign up for a free NRL Account to access this video and other exclusive content.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/202...els-out-of-top-four-with-fourth-straight-win/

getsmarty

Immortal
Off-contract Dufty’s message to Dragons, Eels cop controversial penalty try: 3 Big Hits
NRL Premiership
mark_st_john.jpg

f8a3275a18e68369e59e79f73d2ff955

Matt Dufty was impeded to gift the Dragons a penalty try.Source: FOX SPORTS
The St George Illawarra Dragons have dominated a disappointing Eels outfit 26-12 on the back of a starring display from fullback Matt Dufty at Bankwest Stadium.

Here are the key takeaways from the match.

OFF-CONTRACT DUFTY’S MESSAGE TO DRAGONS

Matt Dufty is off-contract at the end of the season, but the Dragons would be mad to let him go in the sort of form he showed against the Eels.

Dufty had a hand in all four Dragons tries and scored two himself and he would have had a hat-trick if Nathan Brown hadn’t impeded him to force a penalty try.

“Dufty has been great with two beautiful passes in the first half,” Braith Anasta said on Fox League.

“His first one isolated Niukore to put Jack Bird over.”

“He has had his hand in everything,” Corey Parker added.

“His second try assist for the Dragons was just scintillating.

“A left to right pass with no momentum going across his body and finding Ravalawa who can be one of the best finishers in the game.”

The dazzling Dufty looks like he has secured a Dragons win at Bankwest! :raised_hands:

:football: #NRLEelsDragons
:tv: WATCH https://t.co/EkRFqL0fUv
:pencil: BLOG https://t.co/tGvMFrMyoR
:calling: MATCH CENTRE https://t.co/qAt7FKi808pic.twitter.com/yLC54M1rN1

— Fox League (@FOXNRL) April 11, 2021
Greg Alexander paid tribute to Dufty’s influence on the game, particularly to set up the win in the first half.

“Matt Dufty an incredible opening 40 minutes,” Greg Alexander said.

“Scored the try, delivered the penalty try and then produced two beautiful passes. One for Jack Bird and then the best one was an absolute beauty to Mikaele Ravalawa. Outstanding.”

Dufty finished with 112 metres, two tackle busts, one linebreak, two linebreak assists, two try assists and two tries to go with the penalty try he created.

DRAGONS AWARDED CONTROVERSIAL PENALTY TRY

The Dragons were awarded a controversial penalty try to Matt Dufty in the 12th minute after he was ruled to have been impeded by Eels lock Nathan Brown.

Dufty broke through and grubbered past Clint Gutherson with the match officials ruling he would have got to the ball first if Brown hadn’t touched him.

“Well he grabbed him and I think he gets there,” Greg Alexander said.

“I’m going to say he gets there before it bounces again.

“Normally I am very conservative about those types of decisions, but I just think Dufty was running that fast and the ball was up in the air that I think he gets to it, dives and scores just before the dead ball line.”

However Andrew Voss pointed to the role the goal post could have played in denying Dufty a shot at the ball.

Matt Dufty is impeded on his way through and the Bunker award a penalty try!

:tv: WATCH https://t.co/hU9KGbZSBt
:pencil: BLOG https://t.co/S1vRbn9QgC
:calling: MATCH CENTRE https://t.co/iyKENBdhNqpic.twitter.com/55I41ELNAZ

“Even if you take into account the speed of the player you are ignoring the role of the goal post,” Voss said.

“Would he get there around the goal posts?”

“I don’t know that because I don’t know what impact Brown’s hand had on his line and whether he would have got through the goal posts if he wasn’t touched,” Alexander said.

“The video referee said he thought more than likely the try would have been scored and he doesn’t have to be 100 per cent sure that the try would have been scored and I’m of the opinion of the bunker. “

Braith Anasta conceded it was a crucial call, but Corey Parker agreed with Alexander that the bunker made the right decision.

“That was a big call,” Braith Anasta said.

“This was a penalty try,” Corey Parker interjected.

“The fact that Nathan Brown got a hand on Matt Dufty and just alleviates his momentum.

“They came up with the first penalty try of 2021 and it was the right call.”

DRAGONS PACK DOMINATES EELS MORE FANCIED RIVALS

The Dragons pack was written off following their thrashing at the hands of the Rabbitohs in The Charity Shield, but only the Sharks have beaten them since and they dominated one of the best packs in the competition in the Eels for their fourth straight win.

The Dragons gave the Eels a taste of their own medicine with a superb showing in the middle third of the field.

Corey Parker and James Graham lauded the Dragons’ pack for beating the Eels forwards at their own game.

Jack Bird crosses early and the Dragons players are PUMPED! :fire:

:tv: WATCH https://t.co/hU9KGbZSBt
:pencil: BLOG https://t.co/S1vRbn9QgC
:calling: MATCH CENTRE https://t.co/iyKENBdhNqpic.twitter.com/Gr7nGtlSap

“For the Dragons there has been an intent, control and organisation about what they are doing,” Parker said.

“They have been absolutely outstanding.”

“Matt Dufty has been all class, but what a terrific job by their forwards,” Graham added.

“We spoke about the challenge they were going to come up against one of the best forward packs in the competition and all the middle forwards were sensational.

“They’ve taken it to them and played them at their own game.”

“They know where they want to get to and how to get there,” Braith Anasta said at halftime.

“It has been the perfect half of footy from the Dragons.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/3a427862ad7a50a652377d1c43329d8c

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Had to go out for a dinner engagement tonight so recorded the game (told everyone at the restaurant that I would kill them if they spoke anything about the game ) have just watched the replay and I am completely blown away with the boys effort, in particular at The Eels home ground in front of a capacity crowd..,thats 2 weeks in a row now that we have turned it on against a parochial opposition crowd...last week against The Knights....which shows me how far we have come under Hooks leadership......I got home and immediately put on my Brand new Red V jersey which I bought early in 2020 and decided I wouldnt wear it until McGregor was gone...well I know it was round 5 and I promised myself I wouldnt don the newie until we faced our first real test against one of the top sides.....well guess what Im sleeping in it tonight....bring it on 2021

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
Eels vs Dragons: Anthony Griffin downplays fourth-straight victory following Matt Dufty masterclass
Written By Liam O'Loughlin
@ljoloughlin
FacebookTwitterEmailCopy Link
Getty Images
You can never accuse St George Illawarra Dragons coach Anthony Griffin of being too confident.

Following the Red V's fourth-straight victory on Sunday night, many fans and experts were starting to praise the side that many believed were wooden spoon contenders before the season began.

After wins against the Cowboys, Sea Eagles, Knights and Eels, they are looking like a potential finals side once again after a couple of leans years under Paul McGregor.

But speaking to the media after the game on Sunday night, Griffin quickly moved to downplay the Dragons' performances and has urged them to continue to improve.

"We’ve worked really hard on our defence and that was a good thing tonight. Last week our forwards did a good job, and tonight I thought our backs stood up as well," he said.

“They’re just enjoying their footy at the moment. We’re not playing as well as you’d like all the time, in that second half, but sometimes particularly early in the year you don’t have to, you just need to get the basics right defensively.

"We did that for long periods tonight – we shot ourselves in the foot a lot of times in that second half, but defensively they got it right. In the first half, our attack was probably the best it has been. We still haven’t put two halves together.

“We need to get it right, it’s not a matter of whether it’s coming or not. Early in the season, putting one half together is sometimes enough. If we want to be a complete football team, we need to be able to do that for 80 minutes.

“If you want to be a football team at this level, you have to be able to defend. I don’t think we’re doing anything special, I think we’re doing what we need to do if we want to be a good football side.

“It’s five rounds – I don’t care where we are, where we should be or where anyone thought we should be. We’ve done a really good job over the last four of five weeks to earn some points. I’ve got no predictions for you."

Going into the game as heavy underdogs, St George Illawarra flew out to an 18-0 lead thanks to a stellar display from Matt Dufty.

The 25-year old finished the game with two tries and two try assists, and showed the type of football that everyone knows he is capable of.

But if you ask Griffin, the improvements in his game are coming off the ball - and he wants to see it continue in an upward trajectory.

“He’s good, he has been improving – he needs to. He’s a really good kid, and he is learning the real fine arts of playing fullback in real tight football games like tonight," he said.

"He needs to keep improving to unlock his potential. That’s a challenge for a lot of us – he’s always been great with the ball Matt, that’s never been a question.

"It’s about the finer arts of mastering his craft as a fullback at this level, and he’s worked really hard and saved us a few times there tonight with his defensive reads and the way he organised our defensive line."

Dufty remains without a contract for next season, and Griffin said he was unsure whether he and Corey Norman have earned themselves an extension after the last month of football.

The next two weeks are crucial for the Dragons, with a home game against the injury-ravaged Warriors leading into the traditional ANZAC Day clash with the Roosters.

https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...dufty-rugby-league/1jd7uaa1tim7h1v2ncyaf8kk2o

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Had to go out for a dinner engagement tonight so recorded the game (told everyone at the restaurant that I would kill them if they spoke anything about the game ) have just watched the replay and I am completely blown away with the boys effort, in particular at The Eels home ground in front of a capacity crowd..,thats 2 weeks in a row now that we have turned it on against a parochial opposition crowd...last week against The Knights....which shows me how far we have come under Hooks leadership......I got home and immediately put on my Brand new jersey which I bought early in 2020 and decided I wouldnt wear it until McGregor was gone...well I know it was round 5 and I promised myself I wouldnt don the newie until we faced our first real test against one of the top sides.....well guess what Im sleeping in it tonight....bring it on 2021

Dion

Juniors
A big test for us .
I hope the huge effort yesterday doesn't work against us in this game.
Bomb to fergo and sivo.
And they come off their wings in defence.most of the time.
Duftys long passes might come in handy

As long as we put a top effort in , camt ask more.

No doubt we will have to put up with the eels fans for six again and with their fullback and Moses will winge about everything.
So many amazing features of our performance tonight.
1. We weren't phased by the baying Parra crowd.
Instead soaked up all the Parramatta could muster and finished strongly.
No capitulation in sight.
2. Our defence was not only well organized, it was brutal. Line speed was top shelf.
Shows that last weeks taming of the much vaunted Newcastle pack was no flash in the pan.
Special mention Adam Clune and Cody Ramsey. Parra ran their big men at these two all night long and they didn't flinch.
3. I was so happy to see Adam Clune have a big game tonight.
He is so underrated and has dominated games in reserve grade for years.
Tonight he went to another level and, together with McCulloch, Norman and Dufty, guided the team around with great skill.
4. Norman also had a big game. Maybe he has finally woken from his self imposed slumber.
Could be that the coach just knows how to get the best out of him.
5. McCulloch - Griffin's decision to swap McInnes with McCulloch is turning out to be a masterstroke.
Finally we have some smarts around the ruck and his experience in pressure situations has been invaluable.
6. Bird/Lomax centre combination is dominating their opposite numbers.
Lomax has always been a decent defender but with Bird as his partner he has added a level of controlled aggression that makes him very difficult to handle. Add his laser beam goal kicking and we have unearthed a real talent.
7. Forwards were awesome. Vaughan, Sims, Kerr and co. supported each other and when we last Lawrie, the bench filled the gap seamlessly.
8. Ravalawa - outlpayed his countryman, was safe as houses under the high ball (obviously has been practicing in the off season) and his timing coming out of the line to kill opposition plays was something to behold. Opacec had to do an inventory of his ribs at the end of the game.

In conclusion, Griffin has brought some belief and pride back to our Team.
They're winning and loving it.
Can't wait 'til the Warriors game next week!

Dion

Juniors
A big test for us .
I hope the huge effort yesterday doesn't work against us in this game.
Bomb to fergo and sivo.
And they come off their wings in defence.most of the time.
Duftys long passes might come in handy

As long as we put a top effort in , camt ask more.

No doubt we will have to put up with the eels fans for six again and with their fullback and Moses will winge about everything.
So many amazing features of our performance tonight.
1. We weren't phased by the baying Parra crowd.
Instead soaked up all the Parramatta could muster and finished strongly.
No capitulation in sight.
2. Our defence was not only well organized, it was brutal. Line speed was top shelf.
Shows that last weeks taming of the much vaunted Newcastle pack was no flash in the pan.
Special mention Adam Clune and Cody Ramsey. Parra ran their big men at these two all night long and they didn't flinch.
3. I was so happy to see Adam Clune have a big game tonight.
He is so underrated and has dominated games in reserve grade for years.
Tonight he went to another level and, together with McCulloch, Norman and Dufty, guided the team around with great skill.
4. Norman also had a big game. Maybe he has finally woken from his self imposed slumber.
Could be that the coach just knows how to get the best out of him.
5. McCulloch - Griffin's decision to swap McInnes with McCulloch is turning out to be a masterstroke.
Finally we have some smarts around the ruck and his experience in pressure situations has been invaluable.
6. Bird/Lomax centre combination is dominating their opposite numbers.
Lomax has always been a decent defender but with Bird as his partner he has added a level of controlled aggression that makes him very difficult to handle. Add his laser beam goal kicking and we have unearthed a real talent.
7. Forwards were awesome. Vaughan, Sims, Kerr and co. supported each other and when we last Lawrie, the bench filled the gap seamlessly.
8. Ravalawa - outlpayed his countryman, was safe as houses under the high ball (obviously has been practicing in the off season) and his timing coming out of the line to kill opposition plays was something to behold. Opacec had to do an inventory of his ribs at the end of the game.

In conclusion, Griffin has brought some belief and pride back to our Team.
They're winning and loving it.
Can't wait 'til the Warriors game next week!

LINESPEED

Juniors
My score
3 Lomax
2 Duff the magic
1 concrete truck ala Mikael

Rav’s very physical onfield presence is intimidating for opposition outside backs - disrupting plays & creating fear.

Duff’s speed & elusiveness attracts multiple defenders, allowing his superb passing to create inevitable holes

And Zac, who seems to be very tightly marked, has brought his defence to a new level.

We still need another linebreaking option in the centres to be developed for our run to the finals IMO

What’s doin’ Max?

I’d like to see Duff link more with Cody, as per Darius & Brett
... which was poetry in motion

Clune played superbly, so getting Bud a run is a nice problem for Hook

dragon thomo

Juniors
I agree it might be best to rest Laurie as he took some punishment yesterday although he is playing good football.He can return for the Roosters.
If McCullough turns up this week give him a run against the Warriors