What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings

davi

Juniors
Sydney Morning Herald reporting that Craig Fitzgibbon will be the Sharks Coach in 2022 - https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/cr...o-coach-cronulla-in-2022-20210411-p57i82.html

I think the timing is odd if it happens. It wasn't long ago it was reported Craig Fitzgibbon was committed to seeing out his tenure as an assistant with the Roosters. Which was why he wouldn't pursue the Dragons job. Maybe he thought the Dragons was a bad situation via roster and wanted to be more selective on his first coaching job.

Also I'm kind over the hacks in the media complaining John Morris hasn't been given an extension. Phil Rothfield is one, but he's also the same person who has complained of Phil Gould firing coaches (Griffin) and giving them big payouts. I don't blame the Sharks, and I don't see the problem with their wait and see approach. Instead of prematurely giving Morris an extension and then regretting it six months later down the track.

Tiger Shark

Bench
I think the timing is odd if it happens. It wasn't long ago it was reported Craig Fitzgibbon was committed to seeing out his tenure as an assistant with the Roosters. Which was why he wouldn't pursue the Dragons job. Maybe he thought the Dragons was a bad situation via roster and wanted to be more selective on his first coaching job.

Also I'm kind over the hacks in the media complaining John Morris hasn't been given an extension. Phil Rothfield is one, but he's also the same person who has complained of Phil Gould firing coaches (Griffin) and giving them big payouts. I don't blame the Sharks, and I don't see the problem with their wait and see approach. Instead of prematurely giving Morris an extension and then regretting it six months later down the track.

The timing is not odd.

He turned down the Dragons job because he was contracted to to the Roosters this year and wanted to see that out.

Next year he's available, and hence Sharks talking to him.

davi

Juniors
The timing is not odd.

He turned down the Dragons job because he was contracted to to the Roosters this year and wanted to see that out.

Next year he's available, and hence Sharks talking to him.

Its still odd though, because it will make John Morris lame duck so early in the season. If Craig Fitzgibbon was to agree to coach them next year. When Wayne Bennett dispatched Anthony Griffin it was late in July, we have barely made it past round five.

I was presuming that Fitzgibbon would take over the job immediately which would mean he would not see out his contract with the Roosters. I see that doesn't seem to be the case though.

nick87

Coach
I don't blame the Sharks, and I don't see the problem with their wait and see approach. Instead of prematurely giving Morris an extension and then regretting it six months later down the track.

100% agree
I don't think Morris is a bad coach... but he's not a difference making coach either. Just feels like an average run of the mill HC for me, and if that's how the Sharks feel about him too, then they absolutely should be trying to find someone better and he didn't do enough to warrant an extension

Fitz might not be the long term answer, its hard to know which highly touted coach is going to be good and which will flame out, but i feel pretty confident in saying Morris isn't the guy to take the Sharks to another premiership. So what can you do but to head back out and have another swing for the fences?

Good on the Sharks for not settling for OK.

Frailty

First Grade

He most certainly isn't. He has been constantly talking up Flanagan coming back, or moving to Fitzgibbon or Ciraldo.

From the outside, it is a very tough call on Morris. He hasn't had the benefit of a full salary cap, or even an uninterrupted season (took over just before 2019 season after Flanagan was suspended, 2020 had Josh Morris, Xerri, and Covid). He has managed to bring through some great younger players, and has got them competing with top teams.

However, he has also stuck by Chad to his detriment.

davi

Juniors
He most certainly isn't. He has been constantly talking up Flanagan coming back, or moving to Fitzgibbon or Ciraldo.

From the outside, it is a very tough call on Morris. He hasn't had the benefit of a full salary cap, or even an uninterrupted season (took over just before 2019 season after Flanagan was suspended, 2020 had Josh Morris, Xerri, and Covid). He has managed to bring through some great younger players, and has got them competing with top teams.

However, he has also stuck by Chad to his detriment.

Phil Rothfield a Sharks supporters has taken his concerns to the Sharks board on Morris not getting an extension (link below). I'm not sure how you can say that he isn't backing Morris. He also has written an article suggesting the treatment of Morris has been a disgrace.

Rothfield job also is to report on his sources whether it's his opinion or not. Just because he reports those names have been floated around by sources at the Skarks doesn't mean it's his opinion that's the direction the Sharks should take.

NRL 2021: Cronulla Sharks, John Morris contract, Buzz Rothfield, Matt Moylan, Andrew Fifita, Josh Dugan | Fox Sports

Tiger Shark

Bench
Its still odd though, because it will make John Morris lame duck so early in the season. If Craig Fitzgibbon was to agree to coach them next year. When Wayne Bennett dispatched Anthony Griffin it was late in July, we have barely made it past round five.

I was presuming that Fitzgibbon would take over the job immediately which would mean he would not see out his contract with the Roosters. I see that doesn't seem to be the case though.

I don't disagree it's early but we have so many players off contract and so much money to spend that players both at the club and possible recruits need to know who the coach is going to be next year and beyond.

Its no doubt going to affect this year but it's not like we were winning the comp anyway.

Tiger Shark

Bench
Phil Rothfield a Sharks supporters has taken his concerns to the Sharks board on Morris not getting an extension (link below). I'm not sure how you can say that he isn't backing Morris. He also has written an article suggesting the treatment of Morris has been a disgrace.

Rothfield job also is to report on his sources whether it's his opinion or not. Just because he reports those names have been floated around by sources at the Skarks doesn't mean it's his opinion that's the direction the Sharks should take.

NRL 2021: Cronulla Sharks, John Morris contract, Buzz Rothfield, Matt Moylan, Andrew Fifita, Josh Dugan | Fox Sports

Buzz has knickers in a knot because he's not getting the scoops and inside info like he used to. They've cut off all of his sources. Even the Fitzgibbon news didn't come from the Sharks.

Waaa waaa beetroot face can complain all he likes. He is just a fan. Probably right he has no friends left willing to feed him so he’s starting to carry on like he did when the Dragons were his so called beloved team.

give it up Buzz, you don’t know what’s really happening and it drives you nuts

Generalzod

Immortal
100% agree
I don't think Morris is a bad coach... but he's not a difference making coach either. Just feels like an average run of the mill HC for me, and if that's how the Sharks feel about him too, then they absolutely should be trying to find someone better and he didn't do enough to warrant an extension

Fitz might not be the long term answer, its hard to know which highly touted coach is going to be good and which will flame out, but i feel pretty confident in saying Morris isn't the guy to take the Sharks to another premiership. So what can you do but to head back out and have another swing for the fences?

Good on the Sharks for not settling for OK.
This is my spin on this as a Sharks supporter, I believe that management think that he is still part of the old establishment and fresh personal is needed...

Vee

First Grade
What's Ciraldo's angle? His path is blocked by the smug chin, he's worked well with Fitz before, seeking to broaden his resume? Positioning for the Sharks job if Fitz fails?

What's Ciraldo's angle? His path is blocked by the smug chin, he's worked well with Fitz before, seeking to broaden his resume? Positioning for the Sharks job if Fitz fails?
Maybe the chance to work under someone else as well...
Plus the 5 min drive from home would be appealing

blaza88z

Coach
You can't say Cronulla have gone backwards under Morris

I can see him easily getting another job and with a bit of cash to throw around, who knows how well he will do, Cronulla aren't prepared to give him that time