What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reece Walsh

Meth

Staff member
But yeah, Papali f**ks me off. No reason he couldnt put in that much effort with us.

Its all about effort with him. Not culture.

weird take. As keen as we may be to exonerate our club environment from being the actual issue, I never heard anyone accuse Isaiah of not putting in effort

Campion

Juniors
I think the 'more appealing' is the Gould effect. I do think there is something up with NZ rugby league culture more generally (i mean, cmon at local club level it's basically run by the gangs). This has been sort of racistly referred to as 'bro culture' but the phenomenon is obviously more complex, because the All Blacks clearly contrast with this theory. I have no more coherence to any of these ideas. Maybe it's just that the 'serious sportsmen' in nz typically -- though not always (cf RTS the exception that proves the rule) -- go to union.

Campion

Juniors
weird take. As keen as we may be to exonerate our club environment from being the actual issue, I never heard anyone accuse Isaiah of not putting in effort

On Papali'i, he never struck me as lazy (based on clips I heard of his mum talking about him... ok not a great source). I think it's the same with anyone in any kind of job; you live in Auckland your whole life and suddenly you move to Sydney and it's a whole new world, new people, new inspirations, etc. Maybe the coach has decided to use him differently. There is all sorts that could happen which isn't 'lazy' per se but is 'culture', but also conflated with simply 'people change when they have a chance of scene'. I am not smart enough for this kind of philosophizering but I'm just happy to see Paplali' doing well [of course, bummer not with the warriors tho]

Leber

Bench

Well, I just did.

He has always had the ability, but when he puts in the effort at one club while not putting in at another, that’s on him.

Can’t blame the clubs culture on that.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Remember he came in and was under Blair’s wing and that’s where he learned his culture

Slightly different now with a motivated pack of professionals around him

On Papali'i, he never struck me as lazy (based on clips I heard of his mum talking about him... ok not a great source). I think it's the same with anyone in any kind of job; you live in Auckland your whole life and suddenly you move to Sydney and it's a whole new world, new people, new inspirations, etc. Maybe the coach has decided to use him differently. There is all sorts that could happen which isn't 'lazy' per se but is 'culture', but also conflated with simply 'people change when they have a chance of scene'. I am not smart enough for this kind of philosophizering but I'm just happy to see Paplali' doing well [of course, bummer not with the warriors tho]
Possibly the "Fresh Start Effect"

https://psychologycompass.com/blog/reaching-goals/

I just remember handling issues and some stupid penalties.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Papali'i is a strange one because he's the youngest guy we've brought into first grade in the last 15 years, yet he doesn't really stand out as having superstar physical attributes or being talked up as a freakishly good junior.

My take on Papali'i was that he was a hard worker who was mature beyond his years and that's why he received an early promotion. That was sort of always the rap on him too. My opinion of him didn't change massively over his 4 seasons with the club and the idea that he had a bad attitude doesn't really mesh with anything I've heard about him. It sort of seemed like maybe people were expecting him to develop into something he wasn't.

I also think the excitement about him at Parra is bound to die down eventually, simply because he isn't a particularly explosive player. No doubt he will eventually settle into more of a solid, workhorse type role.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I think the 'more appealing' is the Gould effect. I do think there is something up with NZ rugby league culture more generally (i mean, cmon at local club level it's basically run by the gangs). This has been sort of racistly referred to as 'bro culture' but the phenomenon is obviously more complex, because the All Blacks clearly contrast with this theory. I have no more coherence to any of these ideas. Maybe it's just that the 'serious sportsmen' in nz typically -- though not always (cf RTS the exception that proves the rule) -- go to union.

at the end of the day I think it’s summed up well by a quote I once heard about NZ league- “If rugby league in Australia is blue collar, in NZ it’s black singlet, and mostly brown skinned”. Now this isn’t meant to perpetuate “bro culture” stereotypes about league so much as acknowledge that the sport in NZ has always been VERY lower/working class because of the dominance of union in NZ. Union tends to suck up the vast majority of the professional talent at coaching and administrative level and in schools particularly, leaving league to survive on the enthusiasm of people in its tradional strongholds in working class Polynesian areas like south Auckland and Wainuiomata, and in communities dominated by tight knit working class occupations with a historical association with Rugby league, such as miners and wharfies. Compare it to Aus where while Union still siphons off a fair bit of the talent at the elite private school level, League enjoys the majority of support of middle/working class people in NSW and QLD. That translates to a hell of a lot more community support and talent/infrastructure to nurture young players with.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
I also think the excitement about him at Parra is bound to die down eventually, simply because he isn't a particularly explosive player. No doubt he will eventually settle into more of a solid, workhorse type role.

Hmm he’s got the hair on point so I don’t know if that hype is going to dye down anytime soon, hair bear v2

Papalii was lazy on the field in all the effort plays. Didnt follow the play from marker, didnt cover gaps etc.
no loss when he left imo
But Kearney needs to take some blame for his play or lack of with us

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
On the flip side, something about our culture, or at least, our 'perceived' culture must be changing. A few years ago, we couldn't take a trick when it came to signings. Look at all the blokes that have turned us down recently. Turpin, Tino, Lodge (lol), Rudolf among others.

Now this year, we have Tohu knock back an offer to go back to the storm to stay with us, and we have this young kid willing to come to us, despite the fact we are shit.

Maybe we are becoming more appealing for some reason. Which can only be a good thing.

Seems that way, I'm sure the professional front with Gould, O'Sullivan etc has something to do with it. Those guys I'm sure can sell a vision. Better than Tony Iro turning up on your front door with a powerpoint presentation he can't get to load!

I didn't know Tohu turned down a return to the Storm. Wonder what the pay difference between their offer and ours would've been (I presume significant enough).

Penrose_11

Juniors
I can see Tohu being lined up as our next skipper, which would’ve certainly helped with any decision. He’s a guaranteed starter and a fan favourite. I’m sure the captain tag comes with extra coin, and rightly so, along with all the off field responsibilities that goes with it.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Hmm he’s got the hair on point so I don’t know if that hype is going to dye down anytime soon, hair bear v2

I literally think that’s why he’s being talked up as a ‘cult hero’ etc and perceived as being a much more ‘exciting’ player than he is...brown guy with big hair. Aussie NRL mentality still hugely into really outdated and vaguely racial stereotypes

Same reason Bunty Afoa seems to be erroneously seen as some sort of excitement machine by Aussie commentators

Leber

Bench
Played 5/8 and scored a try and kicked a few goals.

He should have been on the wing to transition him but ah well.

nswarrior

Juniors
Hopefully we get to see Reece in the Warriors 17 sooner or later - why did we bring him over earlier and we’re willing to give away Turner to play reserve grade

SmashEmBro

Juniors
Hopefully we get to see Reece in the Warriors 17 sooner or later - why did we bring him over earlier and we’re willing to give away Turner to play reserve grade

Be careful what you wish for, with injuries to Hiku, Pompey, Fus, and Aitken there’s not much stock left in the cupboard.

I’d guess they either go with Perham at centre or Montoya to centre and Walsh to the wing this week, although making your debut against the Storm is hardly the start you’d want to your NRL career

Latest posts