What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears NRL Bid.

MugaB

Coach
If Norths come back as an expansion team in Perth or NZ, maybe Wentworthville would apply to get a license for Adelaide?

It'd be "righting the wrong" from 1967, when they weren't promoted despite their 2nd tier record.... ;)
They weren't promoted because of their proximity to parramatta, thus Penrith got the nod, and it took 2 decades to become somewhat successful, any new team would have some teething after a decade, gold coast titans are starting to look like a top8 team this year and had the comp gone to 25 rounds last year, id dare say they make finals over knights or sharks

The Great Dane

First Grade
To put it into perspective, you would have been hard-pressed to see ex-Newtown fans demanding them to make a return in the early 2000s, about 20 years after they departed first grade, let alone articles speculating on their return.

Yes, I know it's different circumstances, but still that amount of time has passed for the Bears.
The only difference in circumstances is that once Newtown folded other clubs moved into the area to fill the void.

For all sorts of reasons that didn't happen in North Sydney, so it's be left as a festering wound.

To put it into perspective, you would have been hard-pressed to see ex-Newtown fans demanding them to make a return in the early 2000s, about 20 years after they departed first grade, let alone articles speculating on their return.

Yes, I know it's different circumstances, but still that amount of time has passed for the Bears.
I've never understood why people from Sydney think their teams are more important than those from other cities. I cannot sympathise with the Bears as the NSWRL went out of its way to kill all 9 BRL clubs. Bears fans can cry me a river.

reanimate

Bench
Big "if".. it's been more than 20 years since they were a stand-alone team, and for all the power the brand had/has (depending on your perspective), the Bears are a fading memory whose flame is kept alive by the quirk that their district wasn't re-distributed to other NRL clubs.

If Sydney was realigned in the early-mid 2000s with districts feeding directly to the remaining NRL clubs, we wouldn't be seeing the "Bring back the Bears" refrain getting articles every few months.
Exactly, the NRL just needs to make a clear call on the Bears, their district and the North Shore. Are they possibly coming back in the form of an interstate team? If they are, make them commit to the new area and end the existence of the Bears district in Sydney.

If they aren’t, and the NRL has no plans to allow the Bears back in first grade in any form, just rip the bandaid off and hand the North Sydney district over to current NRL clubs. Whether that comes in the form of the area going to Manly, the Roosters or an Upper/Lower North Shore split between two clubs, any of those situations is far superior to the status quo.

flippikat

Bench
I've never understood why people from Sydney think their teams are more important than those from other cities. I cannot sympathise with the Bears as the NSWRL went out of its way to kill all 9 BRL clubs. Bears fans can cry me a river.

It all stems from (Pokies) money & population density, pure and simple - and being THE big fish in a little pond.

Quirks of history slanted all the RL power towards Sydney.

The sad thing about having that much power is that when you've got it, it's easy to fall into the trap of thinking it's yours by birthright, and only sharing it very reluctantly.

Besides, what big fish would want to make the pond bigger.. if it means letting in other fish that could become big?

Last edited:
It all stems from (Pokies) money & population density, pure and simple - and being THE big fish in a little pond.

Quirks of history slanted all the RL power towards Sydney.

The sad thing about having that much power is that when you've got it, it's easy to fall into the trap of thinking it's yours by birthright, and only sharing it very reluctantly.

Besides, what big fish would want to make the pond bigger.. if it means letting in other fish that could become big?
Sydney is holding the game back with its myopic thinking.

flippikat

Bench
Sydney is holding the game back with its myopic thinking.

The thing is, I can't blame them.. they're USED to being the centre of the RL world.. it's a mindset issue.

Anyone who looks further afield than Sydney.. or worse further than Australia gets derided or laughed at.

Just look at how Steve Mascord's media contemporaries giggle at his fervor for the global game.

The thing is, I can't blame them.. they're USED to being the centre of the RL world.. it's a mindset issue.

Anyone who looks further afield than Sydney.. or worse further than Australia gets derided or laughed at.

Just look at how Steve Mascord's media contemporaries giggle at his fervor for the global game.
Unfortunately this is true. I don't have anything against the Sydney clubs, but I think they're holding themselves back. There's some or them that have the potential to be as big as the Broncos, but they'll need the dead weight surrounding them to be kicked to the curb so they can absorb their territory over the next 50 years. Manly becoming the North Sydney Sea Eagles would make the game far stronger and help the club become a giant.

MugaB

Coach
Unfortunately this is true. I don't have anything against the Sydney clubs, but I think they're holding themselves back. There's some or them that have the potential to be as big as the Broncos, but they'll need the dead weight surrounding them to be kicked to the curb so they can absorb their territory over the next 50 years. Manly becoming the North Sydney Sea Eagles would make the game far stronger and help the club become a giant.
Hahahahaha, they've have the past 20 years to do that, the only people that have an issue with "sydney" is those who aren't following a team from there, yes there is 9 teams, but if we are to merge, cull or relocate teams just because of their geography, and bring in new areas that could possibly flop,
I would prefer to expand the comp without leaving anymore catchment holes in Sydney, and venture into new areas without deteriorating the existing fanbase, all the talk of over-saturation is just that =TALK! The only people that talk about it, are people here who aren't from Sydney and want another team in their own backyard, and i agree, there should have still been the Crushers, Reds and Rams still going, but not at the expense of the Bears or the Rabbitohs demise or any of the existing teams

Hahahahaha, they've have the past 20 years to do that, the only people that have an issue with "sydney" is those who aren't following a team from there, yes there is 9 teams, but if we are to merge, cull or relocate teams just because of their geography, and bring in new areas that could possibly flop,
I would prefer to expand the comp without leaving anymore catchment holes in Sydney, and venture into new areas without deteriorating the existing fanbase, all the talk of over-saturation is just that =TALK! The only people that talk about it, are people here who aren't from Sydney and want another team in their own backyard, and i agree, there should have still been the Crushers, Reds and Rams still going, but not at the expense of the Bears or the Rabbitohs demise or any of the existing teams
I cannot see the logic behind Manly not broadening their catchment by becoming the North Sydney Sea Eagles. If they can't make it work as the North Sydney Sea Eagles due to petty squables then the game would be better served kicking them out. No one other than a few of their fans would miss them.

MugaB

Coach
I cannot see the logic behind Manly not broadening their catchment by becoming the North Sydney Sea Eagles. If they can't make it work as the North Sydney Sea Eagles due to petty squables then the game would be better served kicking them out. No one other than a few of their fans would miss them.
Logic and rugbyleague doesn't mix, north sydney and sea eagles don't either... send them to gosford if you want them to get a bigger area, and roosters for the northern suburbs..
And FFS give up your quest on culling sydney, it will never happen

Last edited:
Logic and rugbyleague doesn't mix, north sydney and sea eagles don't either... send them to gosford if you want them to get a bigger area, and roosters for the northern suburbs..
And FFS give up your quest on culling sydney, it will never happen
With Manchester Utd buying the Mariners and moving them to Brookvale maybe it's time to send the Sea Eagles to Gosford.

Playing at Central Coast Stadium will be a massive upgrade to Brookvale.

Central Coast Sea Eagles. That's a bloody good brand for our game.

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench
With Manchester Utd buying the Mariners ane moving them to Brookvale maybe it's time to send the Sea Eagles to Gosford.

Playing at Central Coast Stadium will be a massive upgrade to Brookvale.

Central Coast Sea Eagles. That's a bloody good brand for our game.

I was just gonna comment on the possible move of the Mariners.

It's a real curveball, and could end up leaving the Central Coast stadium as a big white elephant with no permanent tenant.

If the relocated football team move to Brookvale, I guess the grounds owners (the council?) could use it as justification for more upgrades.. possibly ENTRENCHING Manly there.

Careful what you wish for.....

I was just gonna comment on the possible move of the Mariners.

It's a real curveball, and could end up leaving the Central Coast stadium as a big white elephant with no permanent tenant.

If the relocated football team move to Brookvale, I guess the grounds owners (the council?) could use it as justification for more upgrades.. possibly ENTRENCHING Manly there.

Careful what you wish for.....
A fully seated modern stadium is what our game needs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
A fully seated modern stadium is what our game needs.

it either needs a club to represent whole of northern Sydney area and gosford with a new centralised stadium and 3 games a year in gosford, or split the region upper and lower with roosters taking over lower and manly taking over upper inc gosford. The current situation with manly appealing to only a small region with hardly any fans whilst large chunks of northern Sydney and 200k people in Gosford region have no nrl club to attach themselves to is ludicrous.

it either needs a club to represent whole of northern Sydney area and gosford with a new centralised stadium and 3 games a year in gosford, or split the region upper and lower with roosters taking over lower and manly taking over upper inc gosford. The current situation with manly appealing to only a small region with hardly any fans whilst large chunks of northern Sydney and 200k people in Gosford region have no nrl club to attach themselves to is ludicrous.
You are correct. Rebranding Manly as North Sydney Sea Eagles will increase the odds of a quality stadium being built in a central location north of the harbour. Brookvale is never getting rebuilt and "Manly" is a blight on the game. Everyone can see it except for the insular thinking NSWRL fans who think the world begins and ends in Sydney. It's because of those narrow-minded idiots that AwFuL continues to get stronger at our expense.

I'm sick of whiners from Sydney threatening to take their ball and go watch AwFuL if a team or 2 are forced to merge or relocate. Manly fans need to accept that their club needs to expand or it will die. The time for it to become a northern Sydney club was 20 years ago. If they don't pull their finger out then kick them out and give their licence to the Pirates.

Last edited:

Bulldog2020

Juniors
No sure why these threads have obsessions with changing team names. No matter where Manly play, they will always be called Manly.
The suburb or area referenced in a team name has no relevance to where they play

Perth Red

Post Whore
You are correct. Rebranding Manly as North Sydney Sea Eagles will increase the odds of a quality stadium being built in a central location north of the harbour. Brookvale is never getting rebuilt and "Manly" is a blight on the game. Everyone can see it except for the insular thinking NSWRL fans who think the world begins and ends in Sydney. It's because of those narrow-minded idiots that AwFuL continues to get stronger at our expense.

I'm sick of whiners from Sydney threatening to take their ball and go watch AwFuL if a team or 2 are forced to merge or relocate. Manly fans need to accept that their club needs to expand or it will die. The time for it to become a northern Sydney club was 20 years ago. If they don't pull their finger out then kick them out and give their licence to the Pirates.

2018 they only avg’d 8600 at brookvale! I mean seriously this isn’t the Aleague! Purely from a busines point of view I cannot for the life of me fathom why they haven’t gone hard to expand their reach in an region without any other nrl competition.

2018 they only avg’d 8600 at brookvale! I mean seriously this isn’t the Aleague! Purely from a busines point of view I cannot for the life of me fathom why they haven’t gone hard to expand their reach in an region without any other nrl competition.
Because they're narrow-minded and have delusions of grandeur. One supporter of this tiny club that said that Newtown is more important than the BRL clubs. That's the mentality of these people. They literally believe the world begins and ends in Sydney. It's never occurred to them that people outside of Sydney don't care about a club that's from a small area of Sydney that they couldn't even locate on a map.

Newtown was important to RL in its region at one stage, but not anymore. The club didn't do anything to grow the game in Brisbane, so it was useless to Queenslanders. Without the BRL clubs we wouldn't have Origin and RL wouldn't be played in Brisbane. The BRL clubs produced far more world class players for the NSWRL clubs than Newtown ever did. All clubs in Sydney and Brisbane played their part in making RL a staple of both cities, so we need to remember that and stop pretending that only Sydney's clubs matter.

Sea Eagles cannot justify having a licence while other cities are unrepresented and the world's 2nd largest RL city is under represented, unless, they add something special to the league, which they don't. Being the only team north of the harbour, they could and should market themselves to the entire region so that they can become as big as the Broncos. The fact they've never even attempted to do it shows they're run by a bunch of insular wankers from the Northern Beaches who think they're better than everyone else.